How would modern progressives react to . . .

C-Mag

Re: How would modern progressives react to . . .

Post by C-Mag » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:01 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:47 pm
Just a thought exercise. How do you suppose modern progressives, democrats, and leftists of all stripes would react to this iconic photo today:

Thoughts?
The Day After Tanks roll into Tianamen Square, the General Secretary reports that there are 10,000 fewer hungry people in China...………. it's considered a Great Leap Forward.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:24 pm

clubgop wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:43 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:56 pm
Probably the same way that you did, until they learned that the tanks rolled over that guy, and killed an estimated 100,000 student protesters.
What type of idocy and fake fucking news is this? Tank man was not ran over by those tanks he was pulled off the road either by other protesters or the police and estimates were 11000 at most. Man you really are a fucking idiot.
The kind where you have to spend 5 seconds digging to find the truth.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Ti ... e_protests
The protests were forcibly suppressed after Chinese Premier Li Peng declared martial law. In what became known in the West as the Tiananmen Square Massacre, troops with assault rifles and tanks fired at the demonstrators trying to block the military's advance towards Tiananmen Square. The number of civilian deaths has been estimated variously from 180 to 10,454.[2][5]
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:39 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:24 pm
clubgop wrote:
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:56 pm
Probably the same way that you did, until they learned that the tanks rolled over that guy, and killed an estimated 100,000 student protesters.
What type of idocy and fake fucking news is this? Tank man was not ran over by those tanks he was pulled off the road either by other protesters or the police and estimates were 11000 at most. Man you really are a fucking idiot.

The protests were forcibly suppressed after Chinese Premier Li Peng declared martial law. In what became known in the West as the Tiananmen Square Massacre, troops with assault rifles and tanks fired at the demonstrators trying to block the military's advance towards Tiananmen Square. The number of civilian deaths has been estimated variously from 180 to 10,454.[2][5]
Did you read it? Tank man wasnt killed, at least not by the tanks and 100,000 doesnt equal 10,454. You stupid fucking idiot. Thank you for proving my point you dumb worthless motherfucker. You are nothing, you are pig shit. Get better, bitch. Maybe next time instead of being a lazy stupid asswipe you take the 5 fucking seconds and better inform yourself.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:42 pm

clubgop wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:39 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
clubgop wrote:

Did you read it? Tank man wasnt killed, at least not by the tanks and 100,000 doesnt equal 10,454. You stupid fucking idiot. Thank you for proving my point you dumb worthless motherfucker. You are nothing, you are pig shit. Get better, bitch. Maybe next time instead of being a lazy stupid asswipe you take the 5 fucking seconds and better inform yourself.
Daww, did somebody get bad feels?

SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:47 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:42 pm
clubgop wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:39 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:

Daww, did somebody get bad feels?

The left can't...

jediuser598

Post by jediuser598 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:05 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Just a thought exercise. How do you suppose modern progressives, democrats, and leftists of all stripes would react to this iconic photo today:

It's something I was randomly pondering, and I realized I didn't have an answer. Obviously, for me (being alive at the time) I remember Americans largely reacting to it positively. It symbolized the little guy, standing up to the oppressive Government of Communist China. A defiant individual throwing a wrench in the works of State power.

But that was a different time, and a different America.

So how would they view this same event if it happened today - I wonder.

Thoughts?
Go and do street interviews? You live near Seattle, ask anyone with colored hair what they think of that image.
Thy praise or dispraise is to me alike:
One doth not stroke me, nor the other strike.
-Ben Johnson

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:26 pm

jediuser598 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:05 pm

Go and do street interviews? You live near Seattle, ask anyone with colored hair what they think of that image.
Why go to the street, what are we, Neanderthals?
I can just YouTube interview you and post it here.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

jediuser598

Post by jediuser598 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:32 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:26 pm
jediuser598 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:05 pm

Why go to the street, what are we, Neanderthals?
I can just YouTube interview you and post it here.
When you say "any stripe of liberal" what you really mean is sjw. Seattle is the world's capitol for sjwism.

There are no sjws here.
Thy praise or dispraise is to me alike:
One doth not stroke me, nor the other strike.
-Ben Johnson

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:32 am

DBTrek wrote:

It's something I was randomly pondering, and I realized I didn't have an answer. Obviously, for me (being alive at the time) I remember Americans largely reacting to it positively. It symbolized the little guy, standing up to the oppressive Government of Communist China. A defiant individual throwing a wrench in the works of State power.

But that was a different time, and a different America.

So how would they view this same event if it happened today - I wonder.

Thoughts?
With the exception of people who subscribed to (actual) Communist ideology, especially Maoism, they would likely argue that the video was just meant to discredit China. Without feeling any need to deny the vid was real, of course. It would be judged based on its *effect*, not its content.

Everyone else you mention I suspect will have the same reaction you did back when it originally aired. Depending of course of what they know of China. I expect that if you made up a story that he was mysoginistic wife beater and all the tank operators women, you could have gotten some cheers from the identitarian left.

Otoh, if you persuaded some equally clueless right-wing identitarian that China wasn't Communist, and that the guy was a LGBTQPWK antifa furry protesting his government's war against Communist Muslims, they would have been cheering the tanks just the same.

Less informed news consumers and producers, coupled with people assuming more than they verify, could lead to any political wing clueless enough to cheer the tanks.

Generally I think people are more skeptical of China today because todays China is more powerful. But will some see the vid and dunno it's China.... ? Could get any reaction, then. I am sure some of those could be persuaded that all they hear about China is globalist or nationalist fake news.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:32 am

Well, maybe. I see an intense dislike, if not hatred, for traditional America from many on the left. They don’t like the racial makeup of our legislators, they don’t like the distribution of the wealth, they don’t like guns, they don’t like borders, they don’t like law enforcement, they don’t like work ethic, they prefer non-traditional marriages and families ... and so on. You all know the list, I can’t type the whole thing out here.

On the flip side, China makes a lot of the goods they like. China has a strong government that regulates “offensive” speech and wrongthink. China agrees that wealth disparity is evil, and they’ve put strong leaders in charge to make sure things don’t get too “unfair”.

So looking at what’s coming out of colleges today, and Antifa, and run-of-the-mill social media accounts of folks on the left, I have to wonder. They clearly dislike America much more intensely than anyone I knew in the 80s. I don’t know if they like China more or not.

I do know that after 9/11 there was a group of them whose immediate reaction was “Well, we asked for that and we should immediately apologize to Muslims for the wrongs we’ve perpetrated against them for decades”. When you see reactions like that, right in the wake of a national tragedy where bodies are still waiting to be buried, you realize that there’s significant distance between where you thought America was, and where it actually is.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"