GoG:: Now mostly going by *Rusty*

Smitty-48

Re: GoG:: Now mostly going by *Rusty*

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:38 pm

doc_loliday wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:23 pm
Never heard of Thomas Szasz. Some insightful shit tho

"The Nazis spoke of having a "Jewish problem". We now speak of having a drug-abuse problem. Actually, "Jewish problem" was the name the Germans gave to their persecution of the Jews; "drug-abuse problem" is the name we give to the persecution of people who use certain drugs." ~ Tomas Szasz
Nec Aspera Terrent

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:45 pm

doc_loliday wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:34 pm
GloryofGreece wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:17 pm
Its our modern culture that's off the rails really and the pathologizing of normal behavior. Among other reasons for sure.

Rust be like
Its funny you say that of course that's one of my favorite films eventhough his romanticism killed him. Both of them are right in their own ways in that scene. I'm going crazy and don't want to but I dont want to take meds either. Been pushing them off for over a decade. Ultimately though I feel like I'll have to make my own peace and value out of my life without running off to the woods. Though nature is great but it's vicious too of course and I need to learn a few things before I even try camping more than a week at a time haha. I do think I'd be less anxious living like that or in a menial labor job too. When I was a lifeguard and when I was a brick layer laborer I wasn't depressed or as anxious.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:50 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:45 pm
Though nature is great but it's vicious too of course and I need to learn a few things before I even try camping more than a week at a time haha.
living in the woods was my school of hard knocks, everything in my world on my back in a rucksack

taught me to appreciate the finer things in life, hot showers, clean sheets, tight sweet pussy

life is what you make of it, every day is a gift, endure hardship gladly
Nec Aspera Terrent

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:33 pm

Haumana wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:55 pm
GloryofGreece wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:47 pm
Haumana wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:07 pm
Listening to your True Detectives podcast and it got me to rewatch season 1. Just because both are fresh in my mind, you guys didn't discuss the fact that the whole thing starts off on Rust's daughters birthday. That bit of foreshadowing seems to give context to the dark ambiance of the show.

Good stuff though, I am enjoying your content.
When did Rust say it was his daughters birthday? ...Episode 1? I didn't remember that. Interesting though. But I mean his daughter was run over in the culdesac /neighborhood in a kind of random non nefarious way but yeah he's in a dark place ever since really. Thanks for listening and im glad you like some of the shows.
Episode 1 4:45. "January the 3rd 1995, my daughter's birthday"
I only caught this because of your podcast and now I am really watching it again. How about a Fargo Season 1 show? Another epic anthology.
Yes Fargo would be worth doing as well. Id say Taboo and Terror are worthwhile shows on too. I'm waiting for John to fix or get a microphone or whatever is messed up with his laptop to do another ep with him. He was going to be my cohost until we realized after recording 3 episodes it wasn't going to workout scheduling wise. One of the smarter guys I * met * online tbh. Also super knowledgeable on the Reformation and military history generally which is a weak point of mine. Plus he was good with economics another important but boring topic but one he'd be able to add some insight to. O well. That's life I suppose.

________

*** if anyone wants to podcast about the hbo max show * Raised by Wolves* hit me up with a pm!
Last edited by GloryofGreece on Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:13 am

doc_loliday wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:
Its our modern culture that's off the rails really and the pathologizing of normal behavior. Among other reasons for sure.

Rust be like

I've read the book, the guy was a loon, irreparably damaged by growing up in an urban world. His death was a Darwin award moment.

I see no value in elevating the idiot.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:33 am

Looking forward to psyche and myth here.

https://rustyvignettespodcast.libsyn.co ... e-and-myth

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:53 am

doc_loliday wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:33 am
Looking forward to psyche and myth here.

https://rustyvignettespodcast.libsyn.co ... e-and-myth
Its our very own in house doctor. Good convo.

I should be recording tonight with JP ( same dude I talked to about Big Lebowski) on the Star War epic so of course it'll open up another door for myth and motif.

Since you've listened to different episodes I want to ask who you think I had the most flow or seemless conversation with? Thanks too.
Last edited by GloryofGreece on Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:57 am

C-Mag wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:13 am
doc_loliday wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:

Rust be like

I've read the book, the guy was a loon, irreparably damaged by growing up in an urban world. His death was a Darwin award moment.

I don't idealize him or being naive, but I sympathize with many of the sentiments in the film.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:10 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:57 am
C-Mag wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:13 am
doc_loliday wrote:

Rust be like

I don't idealize him or being naive, but I sympathize with many of the sentiments in the film.
I think we all do. That’s why the story is so popular - similar to Grizzly Man. Most people have the good sense to moderate their ideals though.

Humans can’t survive solo.
Always pack a weapon just in case.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:39 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:53 am
Its our very own in house doctor. Good convo.

I should be recording tonight with JP ( same dude I talked to about Big Lebowski) on the Star War epic so of course it'll open up another door for myth and motif.

Since you've listened to different episodes I want to ask who you think I had the most flow or seemless conversation with? Thanks too.

Honestly, I think you have the best flow with the doctor. I'm not saying that because I've known him for all this time and he's on the forums. You guys got on very well. There was almost no interruptions. Just easy conversation. Oh, and since I mention interruptions, I will say that I think you're generally really good at not talking/stopping when other people talk. The worst thing on podcasts is when people talk over each other, its really uncomfortable. And doc is good at it too, so it was very balanced. It has to cut both ways. This is one of the best episodes imo.

Also probably my favorite episodes are your longer solo ones. You come off as someone that is very genuine, ie, you have something to say, without having a subtle (or not so subtle) agenda. Humility is something that is lacking in a lot of media. That doesn't mean you come off as ignorant either, I think you have wide variety of knowledge, but still come off as well, humble. Your curiosity is evident, without having to say it. I know some people like to repeat how much they don't know and it smacks of false modesty.

Anyway, the show was really good. I listened to doc talk a bit, and he makes for an enjoyable and engaging guest. I had a few specific comments and questions I wanted to bring up but I honest can't recall them at the moment, since I was driving and doing shit, but if I remember them I'll ask them. But for now, two thumbs up. I hope you guys will get together again.

All in all, I dig the podcast man, movies, myths, war, military history, fighting, religion, psychology. Right up my alley.