Common Sense 319 – A Recipe for Caesar

StCapps

Re: Common Sense 319 – A Recipe for Caesar

Post by StCapps » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:03 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:59 am
From the start there was doubt about the necessity of wearing a mask to walk your dog in the park, for doctors and nurses on the front line there has never been any doubt.

As for lying politicians, I'm reliably informed that all politicians lie and those best fitted to the job are those who lie the best.
I don't agree with that sentiment but I think motives matter.
Politics is like Pro Wrestling. There is no world in which people of high moral standard and who never lie consistently win elections against people who don't hold themselves to those standards, that is a pipe dream that will never be realized. Most voters do not want to hear unpopular truths, and politicians who choose to focus on unpopular truths and/or lies don't get elected, those who focus on popular lies and/or truths do get elected.

You want to wish to cling to the delusion that it will ever be different, but the masses ability to see the truth will prevent it from ever happening. Even if it did happen and all the politicians suddenly told the truth, all it would take is one skilled liar to come along and they'd win every election. When telling the truth all the time prevents you from getting the job or keeping the job, you don't tell the truth all the time or you won't get the job or you'll get fired from the job, and that is politics.
Last edited by StCapps on Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:12 am

StCapps wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:03 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:59 am
From the start there was doubt about the necessity of wearing a mask to walk your dog in the park, for doctors and nurses on the front line there has never been any doubt.

As for lying politicians, I'm reliably informed that all politicians lie and those best fitted to the job are those who lie the best.
I don't agree with that sentiment but I think motives matter.
Politics is like Pro Wrestling. There is no world in which good people who never lie consistently win elections against people who don't hold themselves to those standards, that is pipe dream that will never be realized.
Well I think it is telling how some people are quick to criticise experts for having different opinions on the wearing of masks but give world leaders, who have consistently played down the seriousness of this pandemic, a pass.
I still see posters calling Covid 19 a hoax intended to damage the economy and bring down Trump on the other forums I read.
I think downplaying the seriousness of this event is far worse than a bit of disagreement over the efficiency of masks.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:15 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:12 am
I think downplaying the seriousness of this event is far worse than a bit of disagreement over the efficiency of masks.
You're too worried about downplaying, and not worried enough about overplaying. You seem to think even worrying about overplaying it is an attempt to downplay it, which is asinine.
*yip*

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:19 am

I wish more politicians told more unpopular truths too, but doing it too much will cost them their job, or prevent them from getting the job, so what I think doesn't fucking matter, because reality doesn't give a shit.

All the incentives in politics are to play to the crowd, but the crowd doesn't always want the truth, and they never will. Most voters aren't capable of perceiving what the truth is in many instances, and there will always be many different versions of "the truth" among the voters.

So how will there ever be a world where politicians never lie when that is the case?
*yip*

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:23 am

StCapps wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:15 am
Montegriffo wrote:
You're too worried about downplaying, and not worried enough about overplaying. You seem to think even worrying about overplaying it is an attempt to downplay it, which is asinine.
You're more concerned about which team the lie came from than the lie itself.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:25 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:23 am
StCapps wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:15 am
Montegriffo wrote:
You're more concerned about which team the lie came from than the lie itself.
Not at all.
*yip*

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:31 am

What Montegriffo considers to be "the truth" is not what voters consider to be "the truth". So how he deludes himself into thinking politicians will someday only pander to his version of "the truth" is hilarious, that's one sure fire way to never get elected or re-elected. It's almost as if he thinks that if politicians just stopped lying, then most voters would agree with his version of "the truth", which is also hilarious.

Even if all politicians thought they were telling the truth at all times, there would still be shit tons of falsehoods being peddled in politics, and Monte would still bitch endlessly about politicians lying

Montegriffo's political utopia will never exist, no matter how much bitching people do about politicians lying

Wishful thinking is a helluva drug
*yip*

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:47 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:52 pm

@darlon

I am familiar with positivism, I am curious how Technocrats are the "new communists." Is it just "works in and with a government?
Well, think about the Communist view of family. It is something to be eliminated, the former family relationships instead being mediated by the state. At the Shakty show trials before the Great Purge, Stalin had sons acting as witness for the prosecution against their own fathers. In fact, all communist countries have broken down the family unit as best they could.

Progressives likewise dislike the family, or at least the one that does not tow the line. They are staunchly against parents having any say in their children's education. They hate charter schools, and they hate home schooling. They basically view these things as threats to their monopoly on indoctrination.

Consider also their attacks on things like gender, sexuality etc. They are literally trying to obfuscate to the point where people think there are no differences between a man and a woman. Once you start to destroy the family and then control the total education of children, they are putty in your hands. Progressives likewise seek to dismantle the family, especially any traditional aspect of it, and to have the government become the primary movers and shakers in family life. They are not shy of admitting this.

This is one parallel I can think off the top of my head.

To me, the Progressive insistence on changing the definitions of words to the point where they are meaningless is also totalitarian behavior. Every nightmare regime, from the Nazis to Pol Pot engaged in this sort of thing on a wide scale. I went back to college recently, and it is incredible how crazy shit has gotten from when I graduated 7 years ago.
Last edited by heydaralon on Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shikata ga nai

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:50 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:21 am
The “experts” lied to the American people.

The mask lie was not the worst, but it was the most disgusting display of contempt for the people that most can recognize. All the research showed that it was absolutely vital that everybody wear a mask and that masks significantly reduce not only your odds of infection but, even if you are infected, also the viral load, which reduces the odds of complications leading to death or permanently destroyed lungs.

They outright lied because they had no PPE stockpiles fir themselves and did not want to compete with average consumers on the open market for those items.

For that they deserve much worse than being fired. These people are not your friends. They do not care one bit about your life other than to preserve their economic wealth and power. They care about you less than a feudal lord cared about keeping enough peasants in the Black Death to continue the harvest. At least a feudal lord was possibly constrained by a fear of God.
There is at least a chance that even an irrational feudal lord might eventually become satisfied and decide to Netflix and chill for a while. A rational feudal lord will always consider the best way to conserve his resources (not the least of which is labor) for the future as well as current year.

Neither of those behaviors are characteristic of the modern democratic state.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:54 am

WH40K feudal war chiefs when?