Lessig's podcast - Another Way

DrYouth

Lessig's podcast - Another Way

Post by DrYouth » Mon May 27, 2019 8:58 am

https://equalcitizens.us/anotherway/

Listened to Season 1.

I like his ideas and I think he's completely right that partisan politics will not be able to influence change.

Short episodes... the whole season is an hour long.

He lays out a plan for a reformist movement that originates outside the political status quo rather than within the party system.
He lays out a consensus regarding excessive influence by lobbyists in the political system (familiar to many of us from Dan Carlin's "common sense")
He details a plan for control of congress by a nonpartisan "reform caucus" similar to the "freedom caucus"...
And a plan for an outsider bipartisan presidential ticket (which seems the least likely part of this plan)... based on Lincoln running with a republican VP?

Basically I think Lessig is entirely right with his diagnosis... he himself admits his plan is a long shot...

But basically he's right that partisan politics won't be able to fix the problem... and no one else seems to have a better idea.
Last edited by DrYouth on Mon May 27, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

heydaralon

Re: Lesiig's podcast - Another Way

Post by heydaralon » Mon May 27, 2019 9:02 am

DrYouth wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 8:58 am
https://equalcitizens.us/anotherway/

Listened to Season 1.

I like his ideas and I think he's completely right that partisan politics will not be able to influence change.

Short episodes... the whole season is an hour long.

He lays out a plan for a reformist movement that originates outside the political status quo rather than within the party system.
He lays out a consensus regarding excessive influence by lobbyists in the political system (familiar to many of us from Dan Carlin's "common sense")
He details a plan for control of congress by a nonpartisan "reform caucus" similar to the "freedom caucus"...
And a plan for an outsider bipartisan presidential ticket (which seems the least likely part of this plan)... based on Lincoln running with a republican VP?

Basically I think Lessig is entirely right with his diagnosis... he himself admits his plan is a long shot...

But basically he's right that partisan politics won't be able to fix the problem... and no one else seems to have a better idea.
All politics are partisan by default. I read Lessig's book years ago, and while it was interesting the way he laid out the system (and how much time politicians have to spend groveling and grifting for money) his solutions in the book have no teeth. Complaining about money in politics is like complaining about puddles when it rains. What is even weirder is that Lesig and Dan had way more firsthand experience than we ever will, yet in many ways they are more delusional.
Shikata ga nai

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon May 27, 2019 9:06 am

Third party or death. It’s as simple as that.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon May 27, 2019 9:11 am

Props to Lessig for trying to make a change. I wish him luck.

I'm not a fan. But he's making a run at it. :clap:
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Mon May 27, 2019 11:43 am

C-Mag wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 9:11 am
I'm not a fan.
What don't you like?
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 27, 2019 11:44 am

Is there a way to make the 2020 election about something more than simply defeating President Trump? Can it become an election that unites America? Can we leverage what unifies America, and get an (unrigged) democracy that could work? That’s the hope described in this six episodes — Another Way, Season One.
LMFAO

What unifies La Raza colonizers and the white coal miners in Kentucky. Do tell, Lawrence. :lol:

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Mon May 27, 2019 11:47 am

heydaralon wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 9:02 am
His solutions in the book have no teeth.
His podcast solutions involve people powered candidates enacting a hostile takeover of congress via a "reform caucus" and forcing teeth into the system.
He promises to "make them squeal".
He sounds like he has really thought this through.
I truly hope his vision inspires a movement.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Mon May 27, 2019 11:49 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:44 am
LMFAO

What unifies La Raza colonizers and the white coal miners in Kentucky. Do tell, Lawrence. :lol:
Have you listened to any of the episodes?
He quotes some polling data.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 27, 2019 11:52 am

DrYouth wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:49 am
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:44 am
LMFAO

Have you listened to any of the episodes?
He quotes some polling data.
Give us a QRD.

I am oversaturated with civic nationalist woo woo right now.

The premise of his strategy seems to be that there exists something to unify Americans. There obviously exists nothing that unifies us. The La Raza colonizers that are literally genociding blacks from Southern California in ethnic cleansing and street murders don't share anything in common with the black people of Baltimore who want gibs for themselves. The disenfranchised white working class scattered across the rust belt have nothing in common with those other people.

This isn't about money any longer. It's about ethnic strife. People like Lessig are the problem, not a solution.

Martin Hash

Re: Lessig's podcast - Another Way

Post by Martin Hash » Mon May 27, 2019 11:56 am

Lessig is an intellectual charlatan but he’s famous.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change