Revolutions podcast - Russian Revolution

GloryofGreece

Re: Revolutions podcast - Russian Revolution

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:42 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:08 pm
GloryofGreece wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:55 pm
Will he cover how and why the Iranian Revolution occured? Maybe he'll suggest because they are Muslims and muslims are bad and the Shah was good and Iran hasn't been part of the "great game" for over a hundred years.
Are you going to keep asking questions about what he will or will not cover from people that listen to him? Listen or don't. It's good for what it is.
I'm just bored dude. And don't like his style and delivery.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:59 pm

Why? It's fine. Relatabley delivers rote history with quircky humor. I haven't really listened to him since the French Revolution other than a little of the Mexico series but it's good.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:01 pm

That said, I just noticed this is the Russian Revolution series and am curious how much he sidesteps the Jews this time.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:15 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:01 pm
That said, I just noticed this is the Russian Revolution series and am curious how much he sidesteps the Jews this time.
He will downplay it im sure. I'm more interested in how he'd interpret Stalinism but I wonder if he really get into that aspect since its later on.

As far as his delivery , he's competent and knows how to tell a story in a coherent and relevant interesting way. I just don't like his voice/tone etc. Its a matter of taste I guess. I'm sure people will firebomb mine if/when I get on the Myths podcast. I have to watch what I say and not say "um" or "like" or seem too nervous. Good luck. haha.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:27 am

10.4 Historical Materialism

Whirlwind review of Marx's worldview.

The Mode of Production through Hunter Gatherers... to the Neolithic Revolution (best aliens references since Carlin 1.0)
To the Ancient Slave mode of production... through Feudalism.... to the dawn of the post plague, post reconquista Bourgoisie...
and on to the dawn of Capitalism and the revolutions that it ultimately unleashes...

And there is Marx himself... obviously not a labourer deciding that labourers will be the new ruling class... lack he has any f*ing idea what labourers actually are interested in. He points his fingers at the bourgeoisie of the French revolution unleashing forces they do not understand... and there he is doing this himself to an even greater extent.

Great episode...

Next episode sounds very interesting.

The life and times of Mikhail Bakunin, Marx's ideological opponent within the First International Working Men's Association.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:08 am

Anyone been following this...

Just finished listening to 10.10 - The Russian Empire

So far Duncan delivers a very good summary of the tension between Bakunin's Collectivist Anarchism and Marx's Communism and the rift that opened and finally destroyed the International Working Men's Association.

Both Marx and Bakunin are deluded in retrospect... Marx in his belief that a "dictatorship of the proletariat" would not result in corruption and an abuse of power that far exceed the problems with capitalism... Bakunin saw this clearly... and Bakunin in his naïve belief that the capitalist system could be torn down and actively replaced with an essentially leaderless collaborative collective... leaderless collaborative collectives turn out not to have the agency and discipline to achieve such ends in this manner.

In the last two episodes Duncan has delivered a tidy review of Russian history from the early domination of Vikings over Slavs, to the early Kievan Rus, to the rise of Moscow, Ivan the great, Ivan the terrible, Peter and Catherine the great... Duncan is truly a master at digesting and delivering sweeping historical narratives.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:05 am

10.11 War and Peace
Duncan does another epic sweep of history filling Russian into his Revolutions narrative...
Main character in this story is Czar Alexander as he faces the implications of the French Revolution as it spawns Napoleon and the Grand Armee.
Alexander takes on a messiah complex as he reverses Napoleons hubristic deep plunge into Russian territory and leads the coalition back to Paris where he meets Tallyrand (who Duncan has covered in depth in previous series - a favorite).

Anyone else following along?

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:39 pm

Thank Doc Y
I listened to the first of the series when it came out and got away from it. I'm back on the bus. :D
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:37 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:39 pm
I'm back on the bus. :D
You might want to steer clear of his twitter though.

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:01 pm

doc_loliday wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:37 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:39 pm
I'm back on the bus. :D
You might want to steer clear of his twitter though.
Yep, he's a garden variety Marxist.