TheReal_ND

Re: Revolutions podcast - Mexican Revolution

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon May 13, 2019 8:29 pm

brewster wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:42 pm
DrYouth wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:17 pm
I loved his French Revolution series
I got as far as the king being detained and the endless shifting of parties and factions before I found it just too boring. Does it get better? Seemed like it was taking too long to get to the good stuff. I really thought I'd like it.
I listened to it like twice and can't make heads or tails of it. I'm on record bitching about the French revolution series in particular. I just don't have the mental faculty to follow all the twists and turns while I'm listening to his podcast while I work. But like I said above, I don't knock him at all as a podcaster. Valuable resource.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue May 14, 2019 1:30 am

DrYouth wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 3:06 pm
brewster wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:42 pm
I got as far as the king being detained and the endless shifting of parties and factions before I found it just too boring. Does it get better? Seemed like it was taking too long to get to the good stuff. I really thought I'd like it.
You have to be patient with Duncan...
In the end I found his series really helpful in understanding the shifting tides of the revolution... and how in fact it was not just one revolution... but also the continuity with the British, American and French Revolutions and how this links up to the revolutions of 1848...
Duncan is good at threading things together...

I liked the Haitian and Bolivarian revolutions too... but again it can be a slog sometimes... but it's good for you.... so persist.

The Mexican was probably my least favorite of the bunch... which I'm sure would make Duncan sad to know.... strangely it seems like his favorite...
So don't tell him.
I like his podcast as well. I usually like the stuff I know the least about the most. I never took the time to learn about the South American revolution and it wasn't taught in school. Tintin was my only source of knowledge.

https://www.otakusmash.com/read-comics/ ... intin/006/
also
https://www.otakusmash.com/read-comics/ ... intin/023/

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue May 14, 2019 7:09 am

I got bored with him right as this one started and haven't listened since

It sucks, because I do really like the knowledge, I'm just not that into it right now

And hearing that its boring makes me even less apt to pick it back up
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue May 14, 2019 7:27 am

California wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:09 am
I got bored with him right as this one started and haven't listened since

It sucks, because I do really like the knowledge, I'm just not that into it right now

And hearing that its boring makes me even less apt to pick it back up
It's not boring if you don't already know the story.

The only one I skipped was the American revolution. Couldn't get myself going through it again.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue May 14, 2019 7:38 am

Maybe I'll give it a try at some point. I am interested in it since its more or less local and I know next to nothing about it.
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Tue May 14, 2019 8:26 am

California wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:38 am
Maybe I'll give it a try at some point. I am interested in it since its more or less local and I know next to nothing about it.
I listened to the whole thing...
Some parts drag a bit...
But for the most part I am glad I did.

Discipline... it's good for the spirit.

You will understand Mexico a lot better... and the main point is that Duncan gets into the variations of revolution so that in the end we understand how revolutions succeed, how they fail, and how in the end they matter somewhat less than we usually think they do.

He is an astute observer of human nature...
Listen, and keep listening.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Tue May 14, 2019 8:27 am

I am pumped for the Russian Revolution!
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue May 14, 2019 5:28 pm

Here's hoping he's honest