Revolutions podcast - Mexican Revolution

DrYouth

Revolutions podcast - Mexican Revolution

Post by DrYouth » Mon May 13, 2019 1:17 pm

Just finished Marc Duncan's long series on the Mexican Revolution...

It was too long... and pretty boring.

But I felt an obligation to listen... because I loved his French Revolution series and because I'm hanging on for the Russian Revolution series... and I don't want to miss anything.

But there was some cool stuff about Pancho Villa and Emiliano Zapata...

Also interesting was the concluding episode that covered Cardenas expropriating US and Anglo Dutch oil companies in 1938... and nationalizing them... which I had never heard about... I guess the US capitulated because they needed the oil during WW2... that's some crazy shit.

Looking forward to the Russian Revolution series which starts in a week.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

GloryofGreece

Re: Revolutions podcast - Mexican Revolution

Post by GloryofGreece » Mon May 13, 2019 1:18 pm

Thank you for posting so I for sure don't waste anytime looking into it! For real though.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon May 13, 2019 1:24 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:17 pm

But I felt an obligation to listen... because I loved his French Revolution series and because I'm hanging on for the Russian Revolution series... and I don't want to miss anything.

Also interesting was the concluding episode that covered Cardenas expropriating US and Anglo Dutch oil companies in 1938... and nationalizing them... which I had never heard about... I guess the US capitulated because they needed the oil during WW2... that's some crazy shit.

Maybe post spoilers next time. Not all of us have heard that podcast. Asshole. I actually wanted to see how that historical event ended.
Shikata ga nai

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon May 13, 2019 1:30 pm

The (((Mexican Revolution))) was a Masonic project. Look into it

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Mon May 13, 2019 2:30 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:30 pm
The (((Mexican Revolution))) was a Masonic project. Look into it
Mason's had a lot to do with the South American revolutions in particular... Duncan covers that in some depth.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon May 13, 2019 2:32 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:24 pm
DrYouth wrote:

Maybe post spoilers next time. Not all of us have heard that podcast. Asshole. I actually wanted to see how that historical event ended.
The Communists won the Russian revolution.
Germany lost both world wars and the 1966 world cup.
Britain got the Falkland islands back.
Hope that helps.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

brewster

Post by brewster » Mon May 13, 2019 2:42 pm

DrYouth wrote:
I loved his French Revolution series
I got as far as the king being detained and the endless shifting of parties and factions before I found it just too boring. Does it get better? Seemed like it was taking too long to get to the good stuff. I really thought I'd like it.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Mon May 13, 2019 3:06 pm

brewster wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:42 pm
I got as far as the king being detained and the endless shifting of parties and factions before I found it just too boring. Does it get better? Seemed like it was taking too long to get to the good stuff. I really thought I'd like it.
You have to be patient with Duncan...
In the end I found his series really helpful in understanding the shifting tides of the revolution... and how in fact it was not just one revolution... but also the continuity with the British, American and French Revolutions and how this links up to the revolutions of 1848...
Duncan is good at threading things together...

I liked the Haitian and Bolivarian revolutions too... but again it can be a slog sometimes... but it's good for you.... so persist.

The Mexican was probably my least favorite of the bunch... which I'm sure would make Duncan sad to know.... strangely it seems like his favorite...
So don't tell him.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 13, 2019 8:19 pm

So it is boring like GoT but not even any tits?

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon May 13, 2019 8:23 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:19 pm
So it is boring like GoT but not even any tits?
The Mexican Revolution series is basically like rereading Atlas shrugged. It sucks kind of but there are a few interesting links like what with Jews and Masons. The rest of it is boring as shit and Americans acting like bumbling idiots as is typical with our southern neighbor.

Not knocking Duncan at all though. Big fan of him. Dude is like PhD history level detail.