Bolleli and Cooper - Melian Dialogue

DrYouth

Bolleli and Cooper - Melian Dialogue

Post by DrYouth » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:53 pm

http://historyonfirepodcast.com/episode ... in-history

Very good podcast with Danielle Bolleli of Hardcore History and Darryl Cooper of Martyrmade.

To sum up.

Thucydides wrote a "proposed" dialogue between the Athenians and the Melians that where essentially the Melians were given the choice submit of die. When the Melians protested their "rights" as free citizens the Athenians essentially laughed and made no pretence other than "might makes right" and the weak suffer what they must - so choose.

The Melians chose resistance and ultimately death... with all it's murder, rape and cruelty.

Meanwhile Euripedes staged a play "The Trojan Women" which gave the perspective of the victims of war and was granted a prize in the city of Athens.

Bollelli and Cooper talk it out.
What is nobler - hypocrisy i.e. aggression under the veil of virtuosity or honest aggression?
A fascinating debate takes place... with something of a vacillating conclusion... but fascinating none the less.

I was struck by Cooper's dismissal of the "intellectual dark web"... a stupid term for a group of pretty respectable thinkers.
I actually think Peterson and company would all participate fluidly in this conversation and flesh it out even further.

I want to comment on Cooper's criticism of Peterson's position on postmodernists.

I don't think Peterson is saying their critique of power is unjustified or a sign of weakness in and of itself as Nietsche was...
I think Peterson draws the line at the postmodern dismissal of ANY moral authority whatsoever (complete moral relativism) and the view of authority itself as inherently suspect and immoral.

I see Cooper as a member of the "intellectual dark web"... but he's probably been too busy rereading the Illiad to carefully explore their arguments.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

TheReal_ND

Re: Bolleli and Cooper - Melian Dialogue

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:59 pm

I was struck by Cooper's dismissal of the "intellectual dark web"... a stupid term for a group of pretty respectable thinkers.
I actually think Peterson and company would all participate fluidly in this conversation and flesh it out even further.
Lmao that shit is all jews

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:01 pm

HHH covered all this shit as I pointed out in that other pozzed thread. As per the usual, the peanut gallery drooled right past it.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:03 pm

Fife wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:01 pm
HHH covered all this shit as I pointed out in that other pozzed thread. As per the usual, the peanut gallery drooled right past it.
Which thread are you referring to? Do you have a link?
Shikata ga nai

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:05 pm

Fife wrote:
Don't mock my thread dude...
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:12 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:05 pm
Fife wrote:

I wasn't mocking you. The OP and the idea of that thread is good. The pozzing came later, as it usually does.

edit: That's not even your thread dude. How many Cooper dribbles are there out there?
Last edited by Fife on Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:14 pm

"Respectable thinkers" :lol:

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:18 pm

Fife wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:12 pm
GloryofGreece wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:05 pm
Fife wrote:

I wasn't mocking you. The OP and the idea of that thread is good. The pozzing came later, as it usually does.
Haha. That podcast had a good thing going there and with Jocko about the Mylai massacre a few months back. I think if Danielle sticks with conversation format with other historians it could make for interesting worthwhile podcasts but he's liberal and foreign so talking that American politics stuff doesn't suit him well without someone like Cooper reigning it back in or offering a IDK traditional viewpoint.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:20 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:14 pm
"Respectable thinkers" :lol:
Good one. Dark Web is soooo "dark " and hip man.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:48 pm

So where do you lot fall in here?

Authentic aggression vs "hypocrisy" as a net good?

The two didn't really offer any other choices...

I would say the dominant liberal paradigm is more like counter aggression...

Aggressive policing against perceived aggression...

This wasn't even raised by Bollelli and Cooper... I was surprised that Cooper was unflinchingly pro-post modernism and casually dismissed critics like Peterson.

Intellectual dark web, as retarded as they sound with that name, at least are aware of this side of the problem.

This isn't ancient Greece any more.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty