HH 62: Supernova in the East I

TheReal_ND

Re: HH 62: Supernova in the East I

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:43 pm

I'm surprise we didn't put German Americans and Austrian Americans into internment camps like we did the Japanese during the 1940s.
What a lark it must be to lock up half the country

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:46 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:43 pm
I'm surprise we didn't put German Americans and Austrian Americans into internment camps like we did the Japanese during the 1940s.

Most Americans were obviously from the British Empire. But yes there were a lot of German immigrants later. Just like there were a bunch of Irish, Italians, and Jews. WE were at WAR with Germany dude. We didn't do it b/c it would have been stupid like it was with the Japs.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:51 pm

I suspect there are far more people with Irish descent than German, with the majority of us having Anglo descent somewhere.

American roots are more English and Danish, with a large portion of Irish. We get the Danish from long before we migrated here, when those Viking bastards occupied half of England.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:10 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:46 pm
TheReal_ND wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:43 pm

Most Americans were obviously from the British Empire. But yes there were a lot of German immigrants later. Just like there were a bunch of Irish, Italians, and Jews. WE were at WAR with Germany dude. We didn't do it b/c it would have been stupid like it was with the Japs.
I agree it would have been stupid. It would have been far more stupid than what it was with the japs who were a tiny minority that didnt hold the heartland. Stupid questions get stupid answers I guess.

Not that there was not a propaganda war leading into our involvement in WWI however. There were entire towns that still spoke German at the time. Entire newspapers printed in german. Woodrow Wilson was very hesitant to declare war because he understood that the coastal america was not nearly as german as the heartland and both are needed for a war.

To put it in modern context imagine that Texas never fought for independence but had the demographics it did now and suddenly decided they wouldn't back America when it declared war on Mexico. It's simply dumb to consider the japanese minority and german minorities as the same animal. Even to this day.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:11 pm

The thread will be completely derailed into a debate about American ancestry and race in 3, 2, 1...

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:12 pm

:lol: :dance: :pray:

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:15 pm

People constantly forget this country was populated by Europeans and not japs, flips, or any other minority. Tell that to Canada tho

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:24 pm

The first half hour of the show makes me want to look more into Samurai culture/history for sure. 47 Ronin part 2 coming soon. :drool:

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:27 am

Good 4 and 1/2 hours of a background setup. Interesting about the Japanese Meiji culture and political oddities. I'm almost done with it with about 45 minutes left and we haven't got to Nanking yet. But he has mentioned the secret societies like Black Dragon and some other social dynamics that were at play behind the scenes. Its pretty damn amazing that Japan wasn't colonized like all of Asia really was and the rest of the world. Its also surreal that they never surrender in mass huge army units like Russian and German armies did. "Fanatic" was used a lot by Western powers to describe both the Germans and Japanese. The Imperial Japanese were similar to ISIS in many ways it seems.

Looking forward to part 2. Good product. Better story and theme than last outing.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:50 am

GloryofGreece wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:27 am
Good 4 and 1/2 hours of a background setup. Interesting about the Japanese Meiji culture and political oddities. I'm almost done with it with about 45 minutes left and we haven't got to Nanking yet. But he has mentioned the secret societies like Black Dragon and some other social dynamics that were at play behind the scenes. Its pretty damn amazing that Japan wasn't colonized like all of Asia really was and the rest of the world. Its also surreal that they never surrender in mass huge army units like Russian and German armies did. "Fanatic" was used a lot by Western powers to describe both the Germans and Japanese. The Imperial Japanese were similar to ISIS in many ways it seems.

Looking forward to part 2. Good product. Better story and theme than last outing.
Totally agree. I'm 2.5 hours in and enthralled.

I'm no Weeb but I'm a fan of Japan for sure. Probably the best non-Western culture
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session