Revolutions

Speaker to Animals

Re: Revolutions

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 28, 2018 10:42 am

Because it's not as if there is such a thing as affirmative action that uses state power to discriminate against white people..

And, isn't it very interesting how, when we are discussing crime statistics, "white" includes all the hispanics that migrated here, but when we are discussing affirmative action, they are not white?

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:32 am

I am really loving the French Revolution series...

Wow is this ever a fresh take on a topic that was covered so poorly in my high school history course...

The roots of Marx, Lenin and Stalin are so in your face that it amazes me this was somehow understated in traditional versions of the narrative.

I suppose we want to polarize Liberty and Marxism.... but in the French Revolution we see the overlap.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:35 am

DrYouth wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:32 am
I am really loving the French Revolution series...

Wow is this ever a fresh take on a topic that was covered so poorly in my high school history course...

The roots of Marx, Lenin and Stalin are so in your face that it amazes me this was somehow understated in traditional versions of the narrative.

I suppose we want to polarize Liberty and Marxism.... but in the French Revolution we see the overlap.
That’s exactly why it’s not taught that way.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:49 am

Parallels also with modern day efforts to impose "liberty" on others through the use of foreign power...

Many lessons here.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:48 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:49 am
Parallels also with modern day efforts to impose "liberty" on others through the use of foreign power...

Many lessons here.
Yeah, I was pretty amazed at how similar the “political” landscape sounded to today.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:54 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:48 pm
Yeah, I was pretty amazed at how similar the “political” landscape sounded to today.
Well...

Except for the starving masses, the death squads, the regicide, the foreign armies at the gates and all that...

There are some similarities.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:27 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:54 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:48 pm
Well...

Except for the starving masses, the death squads, the regicide, the foreign armies at the gates and all that...

There are some similarities.
The liberal and conservative lines of thought are very similar, IMO. They were essentially fighting over the same ideas.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:37 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:27 pm
The liberal and conservative lines of thought are very similar, IMO. They were essentially fighting over the same ideas.
Which is what makes this so important.
As he mentions our terms left and right originate from the seating arrangement in the National Assembly.

The right, of course, wanted to preserve some elements of the old order.
The monarchy, some privileges for the nobility and the clergy... although very quickly the right was neutralized and within short order there was merely the left and even more radical left...
That is what was so remarkable about the French revolution.

The rebellion in the Vaudet region, represents the only true counter revolutionary efforts... and this is one of the most fascinating parts of the podcast. The Vaudet was insular and represented a region where the old order remained truly functional and uncorrupted... one imagines that at one time all of France would have been like this... but the rest of France was not functioning under the old regime so change was coming.

Mike does a great job illustrating why more reasonable change did not happen... and why the French Revolution continued to escalate into the "Zombie Apocalypse" that it became... most of the blame falling with the hapless responses of the monarchy... but much of it also with the spirit of the times and the nature of Paris where social change had reached peak mass.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:05 am

Fuck the tennis court, fam. Burn it all down.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:20 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:05 am
Fuck the tennis court, fam. Burn it all down.
I could see the appeal of life in the Vaudet...
The nobility and the clergy remained engaged and responsive to the local people.
This is a perfect example of a natural and adaptive hierarchy... which the people spontaneously defended.

But this hierarchy had become unaccountable and non responsive throughout much of the rest of France which is why few could disagree with the proposed reforms... The system was so dysfunctional in the majority of France that it was doomed. Much of the nobility could see how dysfunctional they had become, the high ranking clergy for the most part, were so out of touch with the people that they could hardly defend their privileges.

The system was doomed to fail... propping it up was no longer possible... reforms were inevitable...
But bloody revolution could have been avoided if the monarchy had shown leadership...
Monarchs have risen to this challenge in various nations... but because monarchy provides inconsistent leadership with no effective means of removing grossly inadequate leaders... monarchy often wasn't up to the task of responding to the social changes of the times.