Fife

Re: The Rubin Report

Post by Fife » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:28 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:56 am
Fife wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:21 am
Skin in the game.

That's the essential element for suffrage. (If there is to be a popular vote of any kind.)

Military service (in some degree and classification) is certainly one metric. I can think of quite a few others.

But no skin in the game? No vote for you. In fact, no input from the risk-insulated at all, thank you very much.

Anyway, Democracy really is the god that failed.
Fife (BTW thanks for bringing me to the attention of Brions podcast), what other ways can/should people have skin in the game? I know you'll say property, taxes (I guess) but what else?
McClanahan is worth a listen, indeed; thanks and you're welcome.

Talking about "good" voting is a bit slippery, since voting is morally wrong, ab initio. People vote for their own feed-trough, rest of the world be damned. Voters, and politicians, have no direct responsibility whatsoever for how they vote. It's the opposite of an actual "social contract."

Some thoughts:

* As to StA's ideas; there's much to them, IMNSHO. However, instead of making military service a pre-req for voting, how about taking it a step further? Keep a record of your vote, and if you vote for a president or congressperson who takes us to war (declared or otherwise), you (you, personally) agree to be conscripted into the service for the duration of that war. Either you yourself go into the line of fire, or you send your children and grandchildren in your place. This would go especially for POTUS and congresspeople. If you're old as fuck, disabled, or have no next of kin, then you get sent out to the front in a wheelchair to lead the charge.

* Ownership of qualified real property (land).

* Have children, who you demonstrably support. This one would probably have to be a requirement in addition to the others.

* Have a demonstrable record of paying recorded taxes to the jurisdiction you are voting in. City election? Show you have paid city taxes (that have not been rebated) during all of the previous electoral term. Same for state and federal elections.

* Be a non-recipient of any governmental aid of any kind during the last electoral term for the election you want to vote in.

That's a start anyway. We could easily think of other qualifying rules to vote away one's neighbor's life and labor.

If a person qualifies under those kinds of rules, their race, gender, sexual preference, religion, or any other SJW identifier is irrelevant to their right to vote.

Voting is still stupid, don't get me wrong. But it should be a really fucking exclusive club if you are going to have it.

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:53 pm

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:16 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:45 am

The way our republic was founded was predicated upon the idea that only the warriors were enfranchised. If you voted in early America, you definitely had to serve in the militia. There was no standing army. We were an electorate of warriors.
Most of the population was in bondage.
:royalty-queen:

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:20 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:16 pm

The way our republic was founded was predicated upon the idea that only the warriors were enfranchised. If you voted in early America, you definitely had to serve in the militia. There was no standing army. We were an electorate of warriors.
No shit. What does that have to do with what I wrote?

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:51 pm

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:20 pm
MilSpecs wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:16 pm

No shit. What does that have to do with what I wrote?
It’s inevitable under your scenario.

Mandatory civil service is a better choice. I’d also be fine with mandatory service if someone votes for a war. If we ever get to the point where we have legitimate wars again.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:10 pm

You saw how fast she came up with an excuse for not following through with the plan she laid out one sentence earlier?

I will gladly fight for my nation tomorrow for muh gibs today.

Oh this war isn't legitimate. Deal's off. Thanks for the gibs.

That plan will not work.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:11 pm

Bullshit.

You should not have a vote, or be eligible for office, in the federal government unless you are a member of the modern version of what the founders called the militia.

Military service should be the prerequisite for federal enfranchisement. Nobody should possess the power to make wars they have zero intention themselves of fighting for, or any similar war when they were eligible. This is why we are dragged down into endless wars.

Four years service equals one vote.

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:37 pm

Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:11 pm

You should not have a vote, or be eligible for office, in the federal government unless you are a member of the modern version of what the founders called the militia.
That would be each state’s guard. That said, the militias are not representative of the people and never were, so you would have a minority ruling over the majority, yet again. And you should consider what would happen if the militias were actually representative of the people, who would now be forced to serve in them even if they’re not suited to the work.
Military service should be the prerequisite for federal enfranchisement. Nobody should possess the power to make wars they have zero intention themselves of fighting for, or any similar war when they were eligible. This is why we are dragged down into endless wars
Which I just agreed with, above.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:39 pm

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:51 pm

Bullshit.

Military service should be the prerequisite for federal enfranchisement. Nobody should possess the power to make wars they have zero intention themselves of fighting for, or any similar war when they were eligible. This is why we are dragged down into endless wars.

Four years service equals one vote.
4 years National Guard or regular enlistment?
The good, the true, & the beautiful