Re: The Rubin Report

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:04 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:59 pm
Okeefenokee wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:45 pm
MilSpecs wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:06 pm

And you want to make this four years? OK, a kid graduates from high school at 18 and goes into mandatory military service. She gets out at 22. That four years just forced her to retake a bunch of advanced courses, since there's no way she's going to remember that coursework. At least one year of high school will have to be repeated. Now on to college at 23. She graduates college at 27. Masters degrees are obligatory for many companies now, so 29 when she gets that degree. If she wants to be a doctor, dentist, anything that requires post-grad, she'll be into her 30s before she can practice.

You've just guaranteed that our best and brightest will reproduce less. Even the less talented won't be able to start adult lives until their late 20s/early 30s. Maybe this is not a problem, but we already seem to be taking an inordinately long time to reach adulthood and this will extend it even longer.

And you still haven't answered the question of how this will change the military, and conversely how it will affect professions that require long years of study and/or aren't a good fit with the military lifestyle.
:roll:
If you have thoughts, write them. These are all questions that would need to be resolved if 4-year military mandatory service were in place.
You have to reach pretty far to bring up the birth rate as an excuse for not earning your franchise.

And that's the point. You're clearly just reaching for anything you can find when the truth is you just don't want to earn it. It's entitlement mentality.

I'm not going to pretend you're being honest by debating your nonsense muh birthrates.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:05 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:01 pm
Okeefenokee wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:47 pm
MilSpecs wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:43 pm
Usually, the engineers served for a couple of years and then used their GI benefits to get an education. Our oldest engineer just died - he was WWII. There's one ex-marine (not during wartime), two Vietnam era Army & Airforce guys, and I think that's it. I'm the only public servant. A lot of non-military keeps the military going.
:lol:

Way to blow up your own argument.
They were older when they got their degrees. Much older. These guys were married and raising children while working during the day and going to school at night. My father did the same: he worked two jobs and went to school at night.
If you want to keep eviscerating your own nonsense, be my guest.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:06 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:00 pm
My first software engineering job interview out of college (undergraduate) was for a defense contractor. I was pretty confident. I knew my shit.

They were all avionics guys like me. They were from the F-4 world. They lit my shit up. No mercy. :lol:
The military defers to our greater expertise in breaking shit.
:royalty-queen:

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:08 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:06 pm
My first software engineering job interview out of college (undergraduate) was for a defense contractor. I was pretty confident. I knew my shit.

They were all avionics guys like me. They were from the F-4 world. They lit my shit up. No mercy. :lol:
Well, the job was about helping America break other people's shit, so yeah.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:10 pm

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:08 pm
MilSpecs wrote:

I saw it.

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:13 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:04 pm
MilSpecs wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:59 pm

If you have thoughts, write them. These are all questions that would need to be resolved if 4-year military mandatory service were in place.
You have to reach pretty far to bring up the birth rate as an excuse for not earning your franchise.

And that's the point. You're clearly just reaching for anything you can find when the truth is you just don't want to earn it. It's entitlement mentality.

I'm not going to pretend you're being honest by debating your nonsense muh birthrates.
As I said, I was a public servant for over 5 years so I put my time in. I was already married with children when I did it, so it didn't affect my life going forward. That's one of the reasons that public/civil service is a good option to the military: you can do it at a later age if necessary and it opens up serving your country to a much greater number of people.

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:16 pm

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:08 pm
MilSpecs wrote:

We break America's shit so our enemies can't. :D

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:18 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:05 pm
MilSpecs wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:47 pm

:lol:

Way to blow up your own argument.
They were older when they got their degrees. Much older. These guys were married and raising children while working during the day and going to school at night. My father did the same: he worked two jobs and went to school at night.
You're missing the point. It takes much, much longer to get a degree the non-traditional way. My dad was in his forties before he was able to teach.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:30 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:18 pm
Okeefenokee wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:05 pm
MilSpecs wrote:

You're missing the point. It takes much, much longer to get a degree the non-traditional way. My dad was in his forties before he was able to teach.
You've got millions of kids in their twenties with college degrees who can't find work for their useless degrees.

You've got millions of veterans with college degrees, families, years of work experience, and property.

You're just reaching for an excuse.

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:39 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:30 pm

You've got millions of kids in their twenties with college degrees who can't find work for their useless degrees.

You've got millions of veterans with college degrees, families, years of work experience, and property.
What percentage of college graduates can’t find work? What percentage of veterans get college degrees and own property?