Fuck the numbers it is what it is.

Imma ‘bout to commit a nacho holocaust.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Speaker to Animals

Re: The Myth of the 20th Century

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:35 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:21 pm
Ah, the IRA sympathiser Chris Fogarty. A man who supported the campaign to release an IRA volunteer responsible for the death of a British serviceman.

Fair enough, that explains the gross over exaggeration of the numbers.

This was a really shitty episode in British colonial history but lying about the numbers and bandying around words like genocide is not going to help the current fragile situation in Northern Ireland.
ad hominem fallacy. Invalid response. Please form an argument.

Attacking the alleged bad character of the man making the argument does not refute the argument.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:43 pm

Is this a new episode? Oh it is. I love Nick Mason but I can already see this coming lol

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:45 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:35 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Ah, the IRA sympathiser Chris Fogarty. A man who supported the campaign to release an IRA volunteer responsible for the death of a British serviceman.

This was a really shitty episode in British colonial history but lying about the numbers and bandying around words like genocide is not going to help the current fragile situation in Northern Ireland.
Straw man fallacy. Invalid response. Please form an argument.
An argument for what? I'm not going to defend the British landowners' conduct during the potato famine.

I am going to point out that the numbers given are wildly inaccurate and give my opinion as to why I think the IRA sympathiser who wrote this piece is lying about the numbers and the possible effect on the delicate peace in Northern Ireland. There were two or three car bombs in the last month or two in NI. Set off by the terrorists this guy supports.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:49 pm

There were two or three car bombs in the last month or two in NI. Set off by the terrorists this guy supports.
You can't even know that. The IRA is over. Just a bunch of splintered groups calling themesleves IRA with a range of ideas probably as wide as anything that could be found anywhere else. I suppose the one unifying thing would be their desire for independance but even that is hard to tell because the ones left that aren't just gangster wannabes probably want to join the EU.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:54 pm

He fought to stop the extradition of Joe Doherty. A member of the M60 gang named for their practice of using an M60 machine gun to ambush British military patrols in NI.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:55 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:45 pm
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:35 pm
Montegriffo wrote:

Straw man fallacy. Invalid response. Please form an argument.
An argument for what? I'm not going to defend the British landowners' conduct during the potato famine.

I am going to point out that the numbers given are wildly inaccurate and give my opinion as to why I think the IRA sympathiser who wrote this piece is lying about the numbers and the possible effect on the delicate peace in Northern Ireland. There were two or three car bombs in the last month or two in NI. Set off by the terrorists this guy supports.
Well, I meant ad hominem strategy. My fever is over a hundred now and I have been sipping cough syrup instead of diet pepsi, so fuck off.

When you attack the character of the man making the argument, you commit a fallacy called ad hominem. To wit: arguing that the man making that argument is an IRA sympathizer does not somehow refute his argument that your people in fact genocided Ireland in the 19th century.

If you want to get all butthurt about it, like Cenk Ugly when he goes on an Armenian genocide denial tirade, that's up to you. But meanwhile the guy you dismissed because you don't agree with his politics is making a coherent argument that you failed to refute.

The fact remains that your people seized most of the arable land of Ireland through conquest. Then the absentee landlords shipped all the food out of Ireland, causing AT LEAST a million people to starve to death. I don't see how you can deny that, and trying to dispute one million or five million is bordering on holocaust denial-level nonsense.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:58 pm

I'm more interested in the Ulcster Scots. Wtf is their problem?

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:02 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:49 pm
There were two or three car bombs in the last month or two in NI. Set off by the terrorists this guy supports.
You can't even know that. The IRA is over. Just a bunch of splintered groups calling themesleves IRA with a range of ideas probably as wide as anything that could be found anywhere else. I suppose the one unifying thing would be their desire for independance but even that is hard to tell because the ones left that aren't just gangster wannabes probably want to join the EU.
The New Irish Republican Army (NIRA) claimed responsibility for the terrorist attacks.
NI voted by 58% TO 42% to remain in the EU during the referendum.
Most nationalists in NI voted remain while the DUP and some other Unionists voted to leave.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:06 pm

Yeah well siding with a larger entity to negotiate on their own behalf against England makes sense I guess. Not really but whatever.