New HH Episode forth coming!

Speaker to Animals

Re: New HH Episode forth coming!

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:13 pm

Whatever. Have not seen that movie since I was a kid. The only thing I remember was that one scene. The rest of the movie was garbage. That one scene was incredible, though.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:21 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:13 pm
Whatever. Have not seen that movie since I was a kid. The only thing I remember was that one scene. The rest of the movie was garbage. That one scene was incredible, though.
wtf. You are 100% wrong about that dude. Jaws is a great film from a great era of filmmaking. I'm serious. Rewatch it. It is astoundingly good. The pacing, script, acting, special effects, gore, and suspense are incredible.
It makes me sad how far we have fallen as a society even on the frivolous metric of movies. Jaws was a big film, and a good one. That does not happen anymore. There are still excellent film makers out there, but these movies rarely do well at the box office. Now Hollywood is not only trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator in America, but in China as well. Think about that. We are making movies for a chinky communist anthill whose citizens have been utterly brainwashed and massacred by the tens of millions and have been compelled what to think. How interesting and artistic could a movie really be if it hoped to make it past the censors and capture that market? Transformers: Revenge of Fallen should answer that question. Jaws wouldn't be made now, because it would just make these slanty eyed moviegoers hungry, thinking of a warm bowl of shark fin soup, assuming that they could eat it out of sight of their collective farm informants.
Shikata ga nai

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:50 pm

That monologue by Quint was written by John Milius. That stuff is what he excell at. What is good in life? From Conan is another one.
It's a pity he gets so little work due to his politics.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:01 pm

Hastur wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:50 pm
That monologue by Quint was written by John Milius. That stuff is what he excell at. What is good in life? From Conan is another one.
It's a pity he gets so little work due to his politics.
I'm having a bit of trouble believing you Hastur. Jaws takes place thousands of years after Conan the Barbarian. How would this writer have been alive to record Conan's words during the time before Christ, while also simultaneously talking to Sailors during WW2? He would be 3000 years old at least. Maybe you want to backtrack a little now and stop telling tall tales. We aren't idiots dude. I even went to college.
Shikata ga nai

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:15 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:01 pm
I even went to college.
To be fair, it was only to unblock the boys toilets in the sports hall.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:18 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:15 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:01 pm
I even went to college.
To be fair, it was only to unblock the boys toilets in the sports hall.
So what? I went to class, but it was after everyone left and the lecture was over. I cleaned the gum from under the desks and learned a lot about classrooms while I was scrubbing off marker swastikas. One time someone left their precal notes and I learned about Newton's laws. A lot of these classes I cleaned up after were doing impressive AI research and nanotechnology, just to give you a little bit of info about my educational vicinity background.
Shikata ga nai

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:23 pm

Perhaps with your experience you could answer one of the most important philosophical questions of all time.

For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:41 pm

For those who can't understand Lonnie's Scottish accent here's the American translation.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:16 pm

Shaw was married three times and had 10 children, two of whom were adopted. His first wife was Jennifer Bourke from 1952 to 1963, with whom he had four daughters. His second wife was actress Mary Ure from 1963 to 1975, with whom he had four children. He adopted son Colin (born 1961) from his wife's previous marriage to John Osborne; according to an interview with Colin, he was Shaw's son born during an affair while Ure was still married to Osborne. Shaw's son Ian (born 1969) also became an actor. Robert had two daughters, Elizabeth (born 1963) and Hannah (born 1966). This marriage ended with Ure's death from an overdose. His third and final wife was Virginia Jansen from 1976 until his death in 1978, with whom he had one son, Thomas, and adopted her son, Charles, from a previous relationship. Shaw's grandson -son of his daughter Deborah and film producer Evzen Kolar-[10] is American musician and composer Rob Kolar.

Bad mofo...
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:21 am

Finally listened to the Indianapolis one.

Meh...

Typical Dan Carlin stuff. A good one if you hadn't heard about the story before. Fanboi of history stuff.

One of my other podcast subscriptions released an episode about the Indianapolis sinking just recently.

https://ww2podcast.com/ww2-podcast/71-uss-indianapolis/

In this episode we’re looking at the sinking of the USS Indianapolis.

Returning from delivering the atomic bomb to Tinian, in preparation for it to be dropped, the Indianapolis was hit twice by torpedoes from a Japanese submarine. She sank in less than a quarter of an hour.

800-900 men went in the shark-infested waters, and no one in the US Navy was aware of the unfolding tragedy. The men floated in small groups for five nights and four days before they were finally spotted by the passing US plane.

And that is just half the story.

I’m joined by Sara Vladic.

Sara is the director of the documentary USS Indianapolis: The Legacy, she’s also co-written a book looking at the events surrounding the sinking, the book is titled Indianapolis: The True Story of the Worst Sea Disaster in U.S. Naval History and the Fifty-Year Fight to Exonerate an Innocent Man.

It is quite a story!
If you're interested in actually learning something new give it a listen. Angus is a great interviewer and Sara is absolutely stacked to the brim with facts.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck