Ex-California

Re: Dan Carlin's Hardcore History Addendum

Post by Ex-California » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:40 am

Hastur wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:45 pm
DrYouth wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:54 pm
Caesar at Hastings

Dan rolls out a fantasy wargaming match-up between Julius Caesar and William the Conqueror.

Old school Dan Carlin... if you like that sort of thing... which I do... but I admit I'm sort of tired of it.

How many times have we heard about the +1 bonus for berserker rage or whatever this Germanic/Celtic aggressive quality is?

Not much has changed for Dan... he is somewhat fossilized...

One trick pony... it's a good trick... but he gets a lot of carrots for his trick.
I still prefer it to the new stuff. This is what I want from Dan. The Persian series was a sleeping pill and I’ve still not started listening to the Supernova thing.
I’m an old war gamer like him so this one was for me.
I don't even play war games but I really like comparative history like this, and also enjoy showing the chasm between the pre and post-technology age.

You should listen to Supernova. I agree with you on the Persian/Alexander one but Supernova could play out to be Blueprint/Ostfront level
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:41 am

Fife wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:47 pm
I want to hear about how Honest Abe killed a million Americans to free the slaves.
This would be my dream subject, but I don't think he'll ever do it
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

brewster

Post by brewster » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:26 am

If we're wishing, I'm for the DC treatment for the 30 Years War. Or the Conquistador Era. Or the British Raj.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:16 pm

brewster wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:26 am
If we're wishing, I'm for the DC treatment for the 30 Years War. Or the Conquistador Era. Or the British Raj.
Dan is best when he does short stuff. 30YW is to big. It would swell to 7 X 3 hours episodes.
Some of my favourites are Apache Tears and Judgement at Nineveh. That's where he shines.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

brewster

Post by brewster » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:24 pm

Hastur wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:16 pm
brewster wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:26 am
Dan is best when he does short stuff. 30YW is to big. It would swell to 7 X 3 hours episodes.
Some of my favourites are Apache Tears and Judgement at Nineveh. That's where he shines.
I guess we can disagree. I did find KoKs unlistenable, but most of his other long ones like Fall of Roman Republic and The Ostfront were great. I guess I'm most interested in stuff we weren't taught in school, right now I'm listening to the LC lectures on 19th century Europe, a huge black hole as far as my education in the 70s.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:34 pm

I'd like a multi-parter on WW1.
Shikata ga nai

brewster

Post by brewster » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:46 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:34 pm
I'd like a multi-parter on WW1.
try sending a letter to Ken Burns. 10 hours of slow pans and zooms of mud would awesome!

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:15 am

Has anyone listened to the latest? Sound like something for Smitty. :lol:
EP13 Gladwell and the Bomber Mafia
Revisionist History host Malcolm Gladwell joins Dan to discuss the development of U.S. precision bombing ideas, Curtis LeMay and the firebombing of Japanese cities.
Show Notes:
1. The Bomber Mafia
2. Malcolm’s podcast Revisionist History
3. The Destroyer of Worlds
4. Logical insanity
5. Logical insanity extra
6. “The wizards of Armageddon” by Fred Kaplan
https://www.dancarlin.com/addendum/

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:30 am

Precision bombing is racist
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:32 am

Curtis LeMay did nothing wrong

he was a great American and a lovely man

all soldiers seem like monster to liberal media fops, who knew ?

Jordan Peterson is right, the real monsters are the girly men

these journalists run away in the face of a Twitter mob

45 million civilians were killed in the Second World War, almost all by the Germans, Japanese & Soviets

for some reason all anybody wants to talk about is the 100,000 Japanese killed in the Tokyo fireboming

the Japanese were the genocidal murderers, Curtis LeMay was the sheriff come to hang them for their crimes
Nec Aspera Terrent