History on Fire - Jack Johnson

StCapps

Re: History on Fire - Jack Johnson

Post by StCapps » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:24 pm

DrYouth wrote:Just finished the second episode of Jack Johnson.

It's a great story... but it would probably have worked better as a two parter.
I think he's stretching it a bit thin.

100 years ago.... it's amazing really how much has changed in a century.

Bolleli does a good job of putting the international attention on the fight between Jim Jeffries and Jack Johnson into this context.

Nah it's should be a three parter, he needs the extra episode to finish the story. Beating Jim Jefferies is far from the end of Jack Johnson's tale.
*yip*

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:04 pm

StCapps wrote:Nah it's should be a three parter, he needs the extra episode to finish the story. Beating Jim Jefferies is far from the end of Jack Johnson's tale.
Alright, I'll take your word for it.
Looking forward to part 3.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:59 pm

DrYouth wrote:
StCapps wrote:Nah it's should be a three parter, he needs the extra episode to finish the story. Beating Jim Jefferies is far from the end of Jack Johnson's tale.
Alright, I'll take your word for it.
Looking forward to part 3.
You've heard The Rise of Jack Johnson in the first two episodes, next you'll hear The Fall of Jack Johnson in the last episode.
*yip*

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:49 pm

What don't tell me he doesn't retire to an alfalfa farm!

I did like his Pirate Queen story where she goes out on top.

NO SPOILERS!
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:23 am

DrYouth wrote:What don't tell me he doesn't retire to an alfalfa farm!

I did like his Pirate Queen story where she goes out on top.

NO SPOILERS!
He's a historical figure, what you mean spoilers? Can't spoil history bro, boxers usually don't retire before they fall off anyway. Even Jefferies came back when it was unwise to do so from a sporting perspective, you can take the fighter out of the fight, but you can't take the fight out of the fighter, even the one's who retire to alpha alpha farms apparently.

Very few fighters ever go out on top, it's the way of combat sports. Most fighters actually don't give a shit about going out on top, even the one's who try to do so, they usually get sucked back into competition. If a fighter says they are retiring, especially if they are anywhere near the top, don't believe them most of the time, it's probably just temporary. Fighters fight past their prime all the time, even after claiming to retire, they love fighting too much to give it up.

*spoiler alert for the career of most fighters
*yip*

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:58 pm

StCapps wrote:alpha alpha farms
Never heard of that crop.... :lol:

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:25 pm

DrYouth wrote:
StCapps wrote:alpha alpha farms
Never heard of that crop.... :lol:
I think that is where Brucie gets his bullshark testosterone.....
*yip*

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:39 am

Some of his announced topics for this years include,

The St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre, the life of my idol Ikkyu Sojun, a series on Joan of Arc, the 47 Ronin...
An episode about the gladiatorial games in Ancient Rome, a compare-and-contrast of the Sand Creek Massacre (1864) and the My Lai Massacre (1968)
an episode exploring the historical sources of inspiration for Game of Thrones (with @WesterosHistory)

Cool picks.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:14 am

Just finished part 3...

I liked it.

Spoilers ahead:

He escapes the US persecution to Russia, meets Rasputin, then ends up in Mexico under the protection of Pancho Villa...

This is an epic story.

Although I suppose one must wonder why does Bolleli pick this particular moment for a series highlighting turn of the century racism, at the exact moment when Dan Carlin does an episode pointing out the problems with Nazi war policy...

The strange currents of SJWism aside.... this was an excellent podcast... very entertaining.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:51 pm

DrYouth wrote:Just finished part 3...

I liked it.

Spoilers ahead:

He escapes the US persecution to Russia, meets Rasputin, then ends up in Mexico under the protection of Pancho Villa...

This is an epic story.

Although I suppose one must wonder why does Bolleli pick this particular moment for a series highlighting turn of the century racism, at the exact moment when Dan Carlin does an episode pointing out the problems with Nazi war policy...

The strange currents of SJWism aside.... this was an excellent podcast... very entertaining.
Told you it needed a part 3.
*yip*