History on Fire - Jack Johnson

DrYouth

History on Fire - Jack Johnson

Post by DrYouth » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:28 am

Not quite done this two parter.

But it is epic so far.

Definitely worth checking it out!

Anyone been following Danielle Bolleli's stuff.
His Italian accent is takes a bit of getting used to...

He's also apparently into MMA
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

GloryofGreece

Re: History on Fire - Jack Johnson

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:43 pm

He is good at what he does, but sadly the Aztec series was released to quickly. I think he was fading those last episodes. We get it you can do a podcast per month and teach college courses. But if the quality wanes its ok to wait another month to get it done right. Theres not a lot of legit competitors for him so that helps. I haven't listened to the Pirate one or this one. Between him and Carlin they need to do a Medieval topic.

Duel was done superbly

Slaves Wars A+

Roosevelt A++
The good, the true, & the beautiful

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:20 pm

+1 about Slave Wars and Roosevelt.
The two Dakota series overlapped too much. Some good stuff in there... but too long.

I thought the Aztec series was awesome.
What a story! That Cortez was one brazen mother*&^... I mean it's just such a crazy tale.

Did you catch the MartyrMade companion pieces?
They were also excellent.... and about far more than just the Aztecs.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:35 pm

DrYouth wrote:Not quite done this two parter.

But it is epic so far.

Definitely worth checking it out!

Anyone been following Danielle Bolleli's stuff.
His Italian accent is takes a bit of getting used to...

He's also apparently into MMA
Jack Johnson was a fucking baller, what a character. Not the greatest boxer ever or anything, but he's got one hell of a story. I'll check this out at some point for sure, hopefully Bolleli did the man justice.
*yip*

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:56 pm

StCapps wrote:hopefully Bolleli did the man justice.
No question!
Check it out.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:09 pm

Jack Johnson was arguably the Original Baller, charting the path for all ballers who came after.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:03 am

Daniel Bolleli has become what Dan Carlin was. I don't even get excited about new HH anymore. Dan has lost his edge, and there is a new crop of podcasters beating him on time and content. Bolleli's Aztec series rivaled anything Dan has released in the last few years.
Shikata ga nai

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:49 am

heydaralon wrote:Bolleli's Aztec series rivaled anything Dan has released in the last few years.
+1

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:01 pm

heydaralon wrote:Daniel Bolleli has become what Dan Carlin was. I don't even get excited about new HH anymore. Dan has lost his edge, and there is a new crop of podcasters beating him on time and content. Bolleli's Aztec series rivaled anything Dan has released in the last few years.
So, whichever series/episode you think is Daniel's best you think its better than Dan's best? I disagree, but hey that's part of a lively conversation, no? Blueprint, Wrath, Osfront, and Death Throws are all better than any series Daniel's done. And Blitz like Prophets or Logical Insanity are better than any singular episode he done as well. Judged as an entire catalog HH still stands the test of time. Its better overall than HoF. Are there HoF episodes that are better than KoK or Celtic etc...yes, yes there are but its not quite in the same league.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:48 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
heydaralon wrote:Daniel Bolleli has become what Dan Carlin was. I don't even get excited about new HH anymore. Dan has lost his edge, and there is a new crop of podcasters beating him on time and content. Bolleli's Aztec series rivaled anything Dan has released in the last few years.
So, whichever series/episode you think is Daniel's best you think its better than Dan's best? I disagree, but hey that's part of a lively conversation, no? Blueprint, Wrath, Osfront, and Death Throws are all better than any series Daniel's done. And Blitz like Prophets or Logical Insanity are better than any singular episode he done as well. Judged as an entire catalog HH still stands the test of time. Its better overall than HoF. Are there HoF episodes that are better than KoK or Celtic etc...yes, yes there are but its not quite in the same league.
You are talking about Dan Carlin from almost 10 years ago with Osfront and Death Throes. Imo that is peak Carlin. Mongols and WW1 were still gripping, but I don't think they hit the high watermark of Death Throes. The Celtic one, American Peril, and the Persian Ones were like a shadow of Dan's former self. I don't think Bolleli has surpassed Death Throes yet, but on Average I think he makes a better product, especially with his schedule. Even if you dislike his latest ep, you only have to wait 4 to six weeks for the next one. With Dan, you're stuck with it for almost a year.
Shikata ga nai