HH60 - The Celtic Holocaust

Speaker to Animals

Re: HH60 - The Celtic Holocaust

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:09 pm

katarn wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote: Its a broad comparison either way I'll admit. And it obviously has a lot to do with what specific country/nation you live in, the exact time period, what that hypothetical person did for a living etc. but in general I think some of your claims are false, and it would be better to be a free commoner/farmer in Athens/Attica in 5th century than a free farmer in the 11th-14th centuries England, France, or German principality. Education was better or more accessible to common folk in the Medieval times? How was it safer? How was there more food? The Classical Athenians did not really run out of food often for its citizens. Are there stats for Englishmen in Kent or whatever hamlet/village in 11th-14th centuries? Post a link to lifespans? I call bullshit on your claims. Its subjective like most historical questions. But if your motivated some at least elaborate and share some studies, articles something?
http://www.hormones.gr/211/article/article.html

Medieval period saw the rise of schools, universities, and hospitals. Those things didn't exist in antiquity. You had to go to a tutor if you wanted to learn something. Hospitals and greater hygiene brought about a cleaner society in general. Even serfs had more freedom and happiness than most free Athenian. "Freedom" is a nebulous term. Freedom from what? Starvation or somebody owning the surplus of your labor? A serf in a lot of ways had more freedom than the wage slaves of our own society. They at least had their own homes. They had far more time to spend with their families. They rarely went hungry. They lived in a stable community with far more social and interpersonal connections (a grossly underestimated ailment of our time, I might add).

Classical Greece was a violent, horrific place. City-states routinely warred one another, raping and murdering, when it was a season for war. Hell, most of the cities down in Lakonia had to make war against somebody each season simply to keep their infantry trained. They didn't always have Persians to kill, you know. It was a violent place. Even when it was a democracy, Athens was a horrible place to live, with rampant slavery and necessity that a medieval Englishmen would find revolting. Mob rule was violent and capricious. When they weren't turning on one another, they were exterminating or enslaving entire city states that wouldn't pay them tribute, or trying to subjugate entire regions like Sicily. Their greatest claim to fame was the rise of philosophy, but most of the philosophers, if you bother to read them, recoiled from Athenian society.

You might be operating under the Enlightenment era myth that the medieval period was a "dark age", which is totally untrue. What you argue doesn't really make any sense compared to the historical record. You were FAR better off living in medieval Europe than classical Europe.
On the whole, I think I agree with you. How about we narrow the question though: Gibbon's Rome under the Antonines or medieval England?

Historians tend to reject Gibbons' entire project, though. His thesis doesn't even match historical reality. For example, his attack on Christianity doesn't stand to reason given that the eastern half of the Roman civilization became the most Christianized part of the world and carried the torch of classical civilization on for another thousand years before they were wiped out by the medieval equivalent of ISIS. I think he had chip on his shoulder that distorted his view of history. He saw only the best in pagan Rome and only the worst in Christian Rome.

But even if you want to look at classical civilization during the Nerva–Antonine dynasty, life wasn't all that great for most people. Life was not fun for the average person in those times, and even under the model emperor of that dynasty, Aurelius, life was fairly brutal if you were a Christian and you ended up sacrificed in the arena.

Contrary to popular myth, people weren't tortured all the time in medieval England like they were in antiquity. There were no arenas where people were fed to wild animals. Most of the garbage people think they know about the period, especially with respect to inquisitions, crusades, and general welfare and education of the people, are totally and deliberately false. These myths derive from old propaganda that began with the Protestant revolt and was later picked up by Enlightenment-era atheists. It's not reality at all. In fact, there exists an entire sub-discipline in medieval history that just studies the origins of these myths about the period.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:45 pm

Can you offer 2-3 books on that sub discipline or something more generally thst agrees with jist of what your saying?
The good, the true, & the beautiful

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:54 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:Can you offer 2-3 books on that sub discipline or something more generally thst agrees with jist of what your saying?
Check out the Turner Diaries.
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:56 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:Can you offer 2-3 books on that sub discipline or something more generally thst agrees with jist of what your saying?
Check out the books and modern scholar lectures by Thomas Madden. His lecture series on medieval history are fantastic. He has standalone lectures on the crusades and the inquisition as well. He goes in depth on the origin of the inquisition myths, in particular.

He has a LONG series of lectures on medieval life and culture that is worth listening to. He provides plenty of references in the course material as well.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:05 pm

Madden is good. The crusades lectures are where it was at. I have a survey book he wrote for a class about the crusades too. There's a bunch of book recommendations at the end too which is a bonus.

That being said, he knows football as well, though it might be a different guy.
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:06 pm

heydaralon wrote:Madden is good. The crusades lectures are where it was at. I have a survey book he wrote for a class about the crusades too. There's a bunch of book recommendations at the end too which is a bonus.

That being said, he knows football as well, though it might be a different guy.

Yeah, his video games seem to be nothing more than a cash grab. I'd stay away from those.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:04 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Thanks asshole. Any other source other than a professor that is knee deep in Catholicism like Thomas Madden obviously is. If he's right surely at least 2-3 other writers/scholars agree that Medieval Europe was great. I don't doubt the Crusades were multifaceted in their origins and causes etc. I don't care. I want to find any academic source other than this guy that say explains how distorted mainstream opinion is on backwards Medieval Europe and how it was better than Classical Greece.

Speaking for a seminary here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3PSqEY44JQ

and here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFt1ZRVqNOE

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:45 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
Thanks asshole. Any other source other than a professor that is knee deep in Catholicism like Thomas Madden obviously is. If he's right surely at least 2-3 other writers/scholars agree that Medieval Europe was great. I don't doubt the Crusades were multifaceted in their origins and causes etc. I don't care. I want to find any academic source other than this guy that say explains how distorted mainstream opinion is on backwards Medieval Europe and how it was better than Classical Greece.

Speaking for a seminary here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3PSqEY44JQ

and here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFt1ZRVqNOE
There is a book called Inventing the Individual by Larry Sidentrop that briefly discusses Gibbon, the romanticization of ancient greece and rome and the fashionable dislike of Christianity during the 18th century by intellectuals. Thats about the best I can do off the top of my head. Maybe start there and then check to see what sources Sidentrop uses for his book.

I could do without the foul language too. There's no reason for that kind of potty talk on the internet.
Last edited by heydaralon on Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:49 pm

GloryofGreece wrote: Any other source other than a professor that is knee deep in Catholicism like Thomas Madden obviously is.

You presented yourself as a serious intellectual earlier, but now you resort to ad hominem fallacies. Madden's Catholicism does not determine the veracity of his argument.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:54 pm

I was asking for a couple of source and you gave me one that seems naturally biased towards the Church. I did find this documentary and half way through it appears balanced. Just wanted sources and pointing out someone probably has stronger bias than another scholar that doesn't work for a subsidiary of a church or get paid by them in direct ways isn't a personal attack. Its a statement concerning possible or even probable bias. Your the one that throws around memes and misdirection if anything. Your so damn sensitive to anything slightly critical of the Church or the West its a bit sad. I can't even call Medieval Europeans brutal (Which they were and every other society we have documentation from that era) without saying I hate my race. Which who knows what it is btw. Its a little odd/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhlAqklH0do
Last edited by GloryofGreece on Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.