HH60 - The Celtic Holocaust

Speaker to Animals

Re: HH60 - The Celtic Holocaust

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:03 pm

I think, more than that, one could argue they came out ahead in the long run. Spain doesn't control any of Latin America. They are back to running their own shit. Only now they have medicine, science, universities, hospitals.. That doesn't justify conquest, but it wasn't the end of the world either.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:03 pm

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:04 pm

California wrote:Bollelli is by no means taking the postmodernist Marxist tact of demonizing the Spanish while absolving the Aztecs; he says from the outset his series is just like the one Dan made in the beginning of Ghosts of the Ostfront. It is a story of bad guys vs bad guys

It was these guys versus those guys. There was good and bad on both sides.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:05 pm

California wrote:Bollelli is by no means taking the postmodernist Marxist tact of demonizing the Spanish while absolving the Aztecs; he says from the outset his series is just like the one Dan made in the beginning of Ghosts of the Ostfront. It is a story of bad guys vs bad guys
Because if you dropped Bollelli in the middle of Tenochtitlan circa 1514 AD he would've hugged the Aztecs out of their practice human sacrifice, I'm sure.
:lol:
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:08 pm

Some people speculate that there may have been contact at some point around the second century BC. If so, there would have been some old worlders placed in the mix. But those guys, if they existed, were Phoenicians and were no strangers to human sacrifice themselves.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:08 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:

It was these guys versus those guys. There was good and bad on both sides.
Yes, that's the best way to look at it, but there is a danger of taking that too far where you can get into cultural relativism
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:28 pm

Danieli Ravioli's podcast on the Aztecs has been fucking great! I didn't feel any SJW shit in there at all. That guy owns.
Shikata ga nai

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:25 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:6 hours... :shock: This makes me very happy.
Yep. My oldest boy and I were diggin' this today.

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:25 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Because if you dropped Bollelli in the middle of Tenochtitlan circa 1514 AD he would've hugged the Aztecs out of their practice human sacrifice, I'm sure.
:lol:
Bad guys can be bad in many differing ways.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:33 pm

So people here think the average Aztec male was worse morally than the average Spaniard circa 1519? Shit between the Witch hunts/Inquisition and literalness off their belief in Catholicism I'd think neither side was fun to be a luckless soul in. The European "adventurer/conquistadors of the 16th century were a murderous pillaging bunch from what I've read. That goes for the Caribbean island colonization and the Yucatan etc. Usually any Indians that survived the small pox and other diseases were forced into essentially slave labor and worked as porters or miners. I don't think the Aztecs were any better (parsing hairs really from what we know) and the Mayans were not quite as murderous with sacrifice but still did that to. Basically, I rather not live in the 16th century. In Central America or Spain.
The good, the true, & the beautiful