Sam Harris Vs. Scott Adams

Speaker to Animals

Re: Sam Harris Vs. Scott Adams

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:01 pm

StCapps wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:
StCapps wrote:I don't get Gnostic's. It's impossible to know whether god exists or not, their sense of certainty, one way or the other, just doesn't hold up to reason, and the fact that they can't admit that is odd.

Do you mean theists?

A Gnostic is a specific thing that is definitely not allowed inside orthodox Christianity. In fact, I am starting to see some gnostic tendencies arising in atheism of all places.
Nope I get atheists and theists just fine, and I get agnostics, but gnostics, they baffle the fuck out of me. Fucking weirdos.

I am not sure that word means what you think it means.

Gnosticism refers to a kind of heresy in which people claim to possess a secret knowledge that allows them to escape the material world to be with the true God. The only Gnostics I see today are mainly New Agers, and now a lot of atheists who believe the universe is a simulation.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:05 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:I am not sure that word means what you think it means.

Gnosticism refers to a kind of heresy in which people claim to possess a secret knowledge that allows them to escape the material world to be with the true God. The only Gnostics I see today are mainly New Agers, and now a lot of atheists who believe the universe is a simulation.
I'm aware of the definition of the term as well. The term gnostic can also refer to people who are certain of their religious beliefs, those who are certain of the existence of higher power or are certain that there is no higher power, the term gnostic is also the antonym of agnostic, just fyi. Those fuckers are just plain weird.
*yip*

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:18 pm

StCapps wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:I am not sure that word means what you think it means.

I'm aware of the definition of the term as well. The term gnostic can also refer to people who are certain of their religious beliefs, those who are certain of the existence of higher power or are certain that there is no higher power, the term gnostic is also the antonym of agnostic, just fyi. Those fuckers are just plain weird.

No. It means what I just said. People who are certain in their beliefs are just people who are certain in their beliefs.

What you seem to be perceiving is how when people make that leap of faith, God tends to reveal himself to them and develop a kind of relationship. That seemed really weird to me for many years too until I was converted.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:23 pm

StCapps wrote:I don't get Gnostics. It's impossible to know whether god exists or not, their sense of certainty, one way or the other, just doesn't hold up to reason, and the fact that they can't admit that is odd.
Human nature, and terror of
Mortality
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:59 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
Knowing big words doesn't make you smart, any more than being an atheist makes you smart. And I used to listen to Offspring, Green Day, and System of a Down when I was in middle school.
All true, all true. Now:

Please to ironically enjoy my friend!
You picked the worst of the 3 bands I listed, and the one that has aged the worst. Come on man. Post something from Smash or maybe Dookie.
I picked a terrible cover of the worst of the three bands you listed.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:36 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Adams is a huge fan of the social mentality happening around Trump, not Trump himself.

For my part, I believe Trump is certainly good at haggling (start ridiculous, walk it back), but he has no master plan of any kind. He's just doing whatever the fuck he wants, and playing King Don. It's destroying our society, and makes us look like fools, but it's great for his business. Which, for modern capitalists, is the only goal in life anyway.

He's the embodiment of the bad old 80s, sprung to the national stage, and playing to fools and bigots. He does it well, I agree. But it's not doing me or the country a lick of good.
The left has been engaging in violent riots for the past two years, democrats have become the platform of anti-white racism, and anyone who doesn't want their family raped and murdered by Islamists or cartels has been labeled a hateful bigot, yet the person who gets elected as a response all that is the one who is destroying our society.

Go smoke some more weed.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

JohnDonne

Post by JohnDonne » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:12 pm

heydaralon wrote:Hitchens is the smart guy that stupid people who think they are smart look up to. I remember when I was 14 and hated going to church but my parents forced me. Thats the age when I thought Hitchens was an edgy brilliant atheist thinker. If you don't snap out of that mindset by the time you are 18 you are probably doomed to a life of wearing fedoras, browsing reddit, and general faggotry.
Hitchens was no reddit commenter. He was dignified, witty, robust, I still enjoy him. What do you think of Jordan Peterson, out of curiosity?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:59 pm

heydaralon wrote:
All true, all true. Now:

Please to ironically enjoy my friend!
You picked the worst of the 3 bands I listed, and the one that has aged the worst. Come on man. Post something from Smash or maybe Dookie.
I picked a terrible cover of the worst of the three bands you listed.

Humans will be rocking the Ramones for centuries. Probably when we become legitimate space invaders, we will blast Ramones in our Conquistador dropships as we descend upon the primitive natives of some alien world.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:35 pm

You're damn right. I'll be blasting this'n while jacking myself up on stims so I can go on an alien killing spree.

HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:37 pm

JohnDonne wrote:
heydaralon wrote:Hitchens is the smart guy that stupid people who think they are smart look up to. I remember when I was 14 and hated going to church but my parents forced me. Thats the age when I thought Hitchens was an edgy brilliant atheist thinker. If you don't snap out of that mindset by the time you are 18 you are probably doomed to a life of wearing fedoras, browsing reddit, and general faggotry.
Hitchens was no reddit commenter. He was dignified, witty, robust, I still enjoy him. What do you think of Jordan Peterson, out of curiosity?
That's Doctor Jordan Peterson.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751