Sam Harris Vs. Scott Adams

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Re: Sam Harris Vs. Scott Adams

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:33 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:As a general rule, anybody who calls themselves a new atheist is likely a terrible debater. The theologian William Bentley Hart really proved the point in his book Atheist Delusions: The Christian Revolution and Its Fashionable Enemies.
David Bently Hart, an expert in imagination, that cleverly attacks atheism by defining god as 'not a thing' and thus immune to criticisms or reasoning that might bear on things.

There are good critiques of modern atheist thought, Hart's really isn't one of them.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

JohnDonne

Post by JohnDonne » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:46 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:As a general rule, anybody who calls themselves a new atheist is likely a terrible debater. The theologian William Bentley Hart really proved the point in his book Atheist Delusions: The Christian Revolution and Its Fashionable Enemies.

We are kind of in a dark age for atheism even though the media would have you believe otherwise. Most of the philosophers today are theists. The media will play up their new atheist science actors nonstop, but in the academy, it's the other way around. Worse, the arguments of the new atheists are so terrible, you really have to be a true believer not want to ignore them outright in favor of the classic philosophers like Nietzsche and Sartre.

New atheism is more of a cheap imitation and a confidence racket where hucksters capitalize on the inferiority complex of Americans. If you want to be an atheist, you really should go back a few generations and read the classics. Those guys were devastating.
I like Harris, he was at low form this episode. Normally I find him reasonable and convincing, but not terribly charismatic. Hitchens was a great debater and regularly devastating.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:53 am

Adams is a huge fan of the social mentality happening around Trump, not Trump himself.

For my part, I believe Trump is certainly good at haggling (start ridiculous, walk it back), but he has no master plan of any kind. He's just doing whatever the fuck he wants, and playing King Don. It's destroying our society, and makes us look like fools, but it's great for his business. Which, for modern capitalists, is the only goal in life anyway.

He's the embodiment of the bad old 80s, sprung to the national stage, and playing to fools and bigots. He does it well, I agree. But it's not doing me or the country a lick of good.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:10 am

JohnDonne wrote:

We are kind of in a dark age for atheism even though the media would have you believe otherwise. Most of the philosophers today are theists. The media will play up their new atheist science actors nonstop, but in the academy, it's the other way around. Worse, the arguments of the new atheists are so terrible, you really have to be a true believer not want to ignore them outright in favor of the classic philosophers like Nietzsche and Sartre.

New atheism is more of a cheap imitation and a confidence racket where hucksters capitalize on the inferiority complex of Americans. If you want to be an atheist, you really should go back a few generations and read the classics. Those guys were devastating.
I like Harris, he was at low form this episode. Normally I find him reasonable and convincing, but not terribly charismatic. Hitchens was a great debater and regularly devastating.
Hitchens was a terrible debater. Think about every major project Hitchens latched onto. Trotskyism, Iraq, and militant atheisn. Hitch was wrong about every major issue. I'm not a Sam Harris fan, but he is a way better speaker than Bitchens.
Shikata ga nai

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:36 am

Being wrong doesn't make you a bad debater any more than being right makes you a good one.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:49 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:Being wrong doesn't make you a bad debater any more than being right makes you a good one.
His debating style was basically just using big words, name dropping, and trying to use guilt as an argument.
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:56 am

Hitchens is the smart guy that stupid people who think they are smart look up to. I remember when I was 14 and hated going to church but my parents forced me. Thats the age when I thought Hitchens was an edgy brilliant atheist thinker. If you don't snap out of that mindset by the time you are 18 you are probably doomed to a life of wearing fedoras, browsing reddit, and general faggotry.
Shikata ga nai

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:11 am

Better than the stupids looking up to a fellow stupid says I. Bonus, they might improve their vocabulary by looking up some of those 24 dollar words Hitchens was wont to employ.

Now shall we discuss what bands we used to think were cool until they got big and we got really cool?
HAIL!

-Hwen

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:23 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:Better than the stupids looking up to a fellow stupid says I. Bonus, they might improve their vocabulary by looking up some of those 24 dollar words Hitchens was wont to employ.

Now shall we discuss what bands we used to think were cool until they got big and we got really cool?
Knowing big words doesn't make you smart, any more than being an atheist makes you smart. And I used to listen to Offspring, Green Day, and System of a Down when I was in middle school.
Shikata ga nai

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:31 am

heydaralon wrote:
Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:Better than the stupids looking up to a fellow stupid says I. Bonus, they might improve their vocabulary by looking up some of those 24 dollar words Hitchens was wont to employ.

Knowing big words doesn't make you smart, any more than being an atheist makes you smart. And I used to listen to Offspring, Green Day, and System of a Down when I was in middle school.
All true, all true. Now:

Please to ironically enjoy my friend!
HAIL!

-Hwen