MartyrMade

Haumana

Re: MartyrMade

Post by Haumana » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:40 am

Fresh :dance:
MartyrMade Podcast #9 – Sacrifice & Oppression at the Dawn of Tyranny – Sacrifice & Cannibalism, pt. 2

“Mexica ‘beliefs’ have been discussed confidently enough, but academics being natural theologians, usually at an unnaturally abstract pitch. My interest is not in belief at this formal level, but in sensibility: the emotional, moral, and aesthetic nexus through which thought comes to be expressed in action, and so made public, visible, and accessible to our observation.”

-Inga Clenninden | Aztecs: An Interpretation
http://www.martyrmade.com/martyrmade-po ... lism-pt-2/

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:58 pm

Prepare to get your jimmies rustled. Like to hear Smitty and StA thoughts on these episodes. One is on the Sand Creek and My Lai massacres. First one is done by Daniele Bolelli other is done by Darryl Cooper. This is some real history podcasting right cheer! Controversal and oddly Darryl will likely piss off his more right leaning "friends" if I had to guess.

http://historyonfirepodcast.com/episodes/
The good, the true, & the beautiful

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:34 pm

:D :D :D :D
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:34 pm

Wish Darryl would release more content but the dude works 50 hours a week for a defense contractor of some sort. Wonder want his new series will be on...maybe and hopefully the Vietnam War in its totality. Or even better the Cold War/Communism vs. Capitalism.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:16 pm

This podcast is making me want to read up more on the Vietnam War and watch films like "Go Tell the Spartans" and "We Were Soldiers"

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:03 pm

It is an excellent podcast. I like him as much as I do Dan.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:08 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:This podcast is making me want to read up more on the Vietnam War and watch films like "Go Tell the Spartans" and "We Were Soldiers"
Go Tell the Spartans is OK for a low budget film, Burt Lancaster after all, We Were Soldiers is hot garbage, particularly considering how great the man (Hal Moore) and how seminal the event (Landing Zone X-Ray, Ia Drang 65')

Mel Gibson butchered it, half the movie is pure bullshit, and the other half is badly over acted.

Better time spent on the documentaries, The Ten Thousand Day War, Vietnam: A Television History, and the new Ken Burns one, The Vietnam War.

In terms of Vietnam movies, number one is a tie between Apocalypse Now Redux and Platoon, with the caveat that Apocalypse Now Redux is really just Heart of Darkness set in Vietnam, but one of the greatest movies ever made bar none, while Platoon is the best movie actually about the American experience in Vietnam. After that is Full Metal Jacket Kubrick does Nam, then probably The Deer Hunter, although I would assert that while The Deer Hunter is a Micheal Cimino classic Americana film, the Vietnam aspects are not really it's strongest point.

The most realistic Vietnam movie is not actually American, it's an Australian film called The Odd Angry Shot, not nearly as cinematically spectacular as the Hollywood films, none the less the closest to real life in it's lack of spectacularity.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:31 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:This podcast is making me want to read up more on the Vietnam War and watch films like "Go Tell the Spartans" and "We Were Soldiers"
"Go Tell the Spartans" is OK for a low budget film, Burt Lancaster after all, "We Were Soldiers" is hot garbage, particularly considering how great the man (Hal Moore) and how seminal the event (Landing Zone X-Ray, Ia Drang 65')

Mel Gibson butchered it, half the movie is pure bullshit, and the other half is badly over acted.

Better time spent on the documentaries, The Ten Thousand Day War, Vietnam: A Television History, and the new Ken Burns one, The Vietnam War.
You don't care for Platoon or Born on the 4th of July either I guess? Are there any war movies you genuinely consider well done? I realize you're a soldier so your view is both different from mine and way more realistic than the common civilian like myself.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:36 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
"Go Tell the Spartans" is OK for a low budget film, Burt Lancaster after all, "We Were Soldiers" is hot garbage, particularly considering how great the man (Hal Moore) and how seminal the event (Landing Zone X-Ray, Ia Drang 65')

You don't care for Platoon or Born on the 4th of July either I guess? Are there any war movies you genuinely consider well done? I realize you're a soldier so your view is both different from mine and way more realistic than the common civilian like myself.
No, I love Platoon, Platoon is a cinematic masterpiece, see my above edit. Born on the 4th of July is certainly a historically credible film, Tom Cruise does an above average Tom Cruise job, but it's a little maudlin for my tastes, I prefer Forrest Gump to Born on the 4th, even tho Gump is pure fiction, Lieutenant Dan as a proxy for Ron Kovic is better than the portrayal of the actual Ron Kovic, all due respect to Ron Kovic.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:46 pm

You know, when I first joined the infantry in the 1980s, our platoon was pretty much exactly like the platoon in Platoon, we had our Sgt. Barne's, we had our Sgt. Elias', half the platoon was pot smoking beatnik Heads, the other half was whiskey swilling western Cowboys, and we had the same sort of conflicts between them, it's eerie how much Platoon imitated real life, even in the Canadian Army.

And just like Tailor in Platoon, I was ever torn between the Heads and Cowboys, I loved them all, even if they couldn't get along with each other.

We'd be out on the Inner German Border, I'd be smoking a gib with the Heads, White Rabbit drill, then I'd wander over to 2 Section to drink whiskey and listen to country music, I couldn't choose between them.
Nec Aspera Terrent