MartyrMade

Alexander PhiAlipson

Re: MartyrMade

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:58 am

Okeefenokee wrote:really wish i'd listened to the last hof ep before i took that history class where mr mexico said mayans never sacrificed people.

fucking jack wagon
They wrote it in fucking stone--literally!
That the Maya practiced human sacrifice is not in doubt, but providing motives is speculating.

Maybe your professor confused them with the more northerly American Indians who dindu nuffin to nobody never. :roll:
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:55 am

Human sacrifices from Patigonia to Lake Michigan. Welcome to pre-columbian America, guys. Wtf.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:22 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Human sacrifices from Patigonia to Lake Michigan. Welcome to pre-columbian America, guys. Wtf.
The Aztecs are my favorite pre-Columbian group. They were brutal, but also had a complex interesting society. Part of their belief system compelled them to keep their cities clean for the gods. In contrast to the dirty cities of Europe, the Aztec cities were immaculate. When the conquistadors saw the city for the first time, they were shocked at how clean it was, and half believed that they were in some sort of supernatural realm.
Shikata ga nai

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:49 am

Funnily Darryl didn't even really mention the Aztecs in his 3 hour podcast. But he laid the foundation for headhunting and cannibalism. Its one of those really strange things to ponder or discuss even. Like the Oedipal complex, incest, etc. You figure somewhere along the line it became just flat out taboo to do these things, but figuring out why and how it occurred socially and changed over time can be fascinating. I hope he gets more into Aztec mythology and religion next episode but it looks like he won't really. I'm also thinking his Decline podcast is done, which is sad. Daniele is the only player in the game that comes out with consistently good episodes at least 6-7 times a year. Dan Carlin is averaging 1 a year. I don't see how the fuck he makes a nice income of that. I guess around 1 million itunes downloads gets you 80K a year somehow or what?
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Dand

Post by Dand » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:36 am

I think that this episode became much more like a Hardcore History episode than the Israel series ever was. Specifically the moments when Darryl had jokes or humor really felt similar to Dan's, in a good way.

I had a funny moment after listening to the end of the podcast. Near the end, Darryl talks about how humans are "born early". After finishing the podcast I immediately started The Hero With A Thousand Faces and within 15 minutes was reading Joseph Campbell writing about the exact same thing.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:15 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:Funnily Darryl didn't even really mention the Aztecs in his 3 hour podcast. But he laid the foundation for headhunting and cannibalism. Its one of those really strange things to ponder or discuss even. Like the Oedipal complex, incest, etc. You figure somewhere along the line it became just flat out taboo to do these things, but figuring out why and how it occurred socially and changed over time can be fascinating. I hope he gets more into Aztec mythology and religion next episode but it looks like he won't really. I'm also thinking his Decline podcast is done, which is sad. Daniele is the only player in the game that comes out with consistently good episodes at least 6-7 times a year. Dan Carlin is averaging 1 a year. I don't see how the fuck he makes a nice income of that. I guess around 1 million itunes downloads gets you 80K a year somehow or what?

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:11 pm

B/c Dan was featured in that WWI documentary on PBS? Any links to his connection to Soros or whoever the hell that dude is?
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:49 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:Funnily Darryl didn't even really mention the Aztecs in his 3 hour podcast. But he laid the foundation for headhunting and cannibalism. Its one of those really strange things to ponder or discuss even. Like the Oedipal complex, incest, etc. You figure somewhere along the line it became just flat out taboo to do these things, but figuring out why and how it occurred socially and changed over time can be fascinating. I hope he gets more into Aztec mythology and religion next episode but it looks like he won't really. I'm also thinking his Decline podcast is done, which is sad. Daniele is the only player in the game that comes out with consistently good episodes at least 6-7 times a year. Dan Carlin is averaging 1 a year. I don't see how the fuck he makes a nice income of that. I guess around 1 million itunes downloads gets you 80K a year somehow or what?

https://mobile.twitter.com/HardcoreHist ... 1694977026

19million for the last episode?
If you figure a generous 1% donated "$1 a show", that's $190k.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:52 pm

With numbers like that, who needs Common Sense?
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:13 pm

heydaralon wrote:The Aztecs are my favorite pre-Columbian group. They were brutal, but also had a complex interesting society. Part of their belief system compelled them to keep their cities clean for the gods. In contrast to the dirty cities of Europe, the Aztec cities were immaculate. When the conquistadors saw the city for the first time, they were shocked at how clean it was, and half believed that they were in some sort of supernatural realm.
Tower of human skulls in Mexico casts new light on Aztecs
Yuh, they liked to keep things tidy--to keep more room for their skull collections.
Reuters wrote:Archaeologists have found more than 650 skulls caked in lime and thousands of fragments in the cylindrical edifice near the site of the Templo Mayor, one of the main temples in the Aztec capital Tenochtitlan, which later became Mexico City.

The tower is believed to form part of the Huey Tzompantli, a massive array of skulls that struck fear into the Spanish conquistadores when they captured the city under Hernan Cortes, and mentioned the structure in contemporary accounts.

Historians relate how the severed heads of captured warriors adorned tzompantli, or skull racks, found in a number of Mesoamerican cultures before the Spanish conquest.

But the archaeological dig in the bowels of old Mexico City that began in 2015 suggests that picture was not complete.

"We were expecting just men, obviously young men, as warriors would be, and the thing about the women and children is that you'd think they wouldn't be going to war," said Rodrigo Bolanos, a biological anthropologist investigating the find.
So... not just warriors, eh? Perhaps the women and children were more tender. No wonder so many natives joined with the Spanish to wipe out the Aztecs.
Last edited by Alexander PhiAlipson on Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "