CS315 - War on a Whim?

heydaralon

Re: CS315 - War on a Whim?

Post by heydaralon » Wed May 03, 2017 6:51 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
DrYouth wrote:Do y'all agree with Dan's hopelessness about the political divide?

I keep waffling between taking it seriously and seeing at some freakish phase related to the dawn of social media that will blow over in good time.

I think it's overkill to see it as some kind of sign of national Armaggedon.

A few bloody noses posted to Twitter and Instagram... A few people threatening to defect or secede.

Is this really the death knell of a society?
I think both are true, actually.

The lower tiers of society are imploding into street violence, but the elites still glide above, peacefully sucking brains through a straw. I think this mess continues, until Trump tries to name an heir to the throne, and suspend elections.
Why do you think Trump will try to establish himself as dictator? He is far more of a sylvio berlusconi than a Hitler. I'm glad he won, but his reversal on many of the things I agreed with him on has disappointed me.
Shikata ga nai

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Wed May 03, 2017 7:15 pm

Well, well well...
As tension builds with North Korea, Democratic lawmakers say they’re increasingly concerned with President Trump’s finger on the nuclear trigger and want to pass a law prohibiting him from striking without congressional approval.

“We do not trust him with our nuclear weapons arsenal,” said Sen. Ed Markey, Massachusetts Democrat. “We do not want him to use nuclear weapons first in the North Korean standoff — not just there in Korea, but all across the planet.”
http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/ ... r-weapons/

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Wed May 03, 2017 7:42 pm

de officiis wrote:Well, well well...
As tension builds with North Korea, Democratic lawmakers say they’re increasingly concerned with President Trump’s finger on the nuclear trigger and want to pass a law prohibiting him from striking without congressional approval.

“We do not trust him with our nuclear weapons arsenal,” said Sen. Ed Markey, Massachusetts Democrat. “We do not want him to use nuclear weapons first in the North Korean standoff — not just there in Korea, but all across the planet.”
Political grandstanding to appeal to folks like yourself. Nothing will come of this.
*yip*

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed May 03, 2017 7:46 pm

StCapps wrote:

Political grandstanding to appeal to folks like yourself. Nothing will come of this.
Capps: Its Fargo Time! I'm getting ready to watch the shit out of tonight's episode.
Shikata ga nai

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Wed May 03, 2017 7:54 pm

heydaralon wrote:
StCapps wrote:

Capps: Its Fargo Time! I'm getting ready to watch the shit out of tonight's episode.
I'm watching hockey at the moment, so I'm going to watch tonight's episode of Fargo afterward. Looking forward to it.
*yip*

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Wed May 03, 2017 7:59 pm

StCapps wrote:

Like myself? You don't know what you're talking about.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Wed May 03, 2017 8:04 pm

de officiis wrote:
StCapps wrote:

Like myself? You don't know what you're talking about.
So you don't think Trump should have to get congressional approval before using nuclear weapons? My mistake then, guess Markey and company scored no political points with you on this one, but he sure scored some points with Dan Carlin, that I can tell you.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed May 03, 2017 8:39 pm

That law would be unconstitutional, the vongress is not in command, they could defund the nuclear weapons programs, but they could not take command and control of them.

What weapons to use, how, where, when, and why, is quite clearly an Executive decision, congress doesn't have to pay for it, but once they do, it's out of their hands, congressional war powers does not extend to weaponeering, and never did.

There is no "except for nuclear weapons" clause in Article II, and since the nuclear deterent must be maintained on a war footing at all times, the congress has already authorized the executive to use nuclear weapons, in the SIOP, or whatever the fuck they call the SIOP these days.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed May 03, 2017 9:03 pm

I don't think there has ever been a precedent for Congress attempting to stop executive military action by cutting funds. Once that bell is rung, it is political suicide for them to try that, since the president can say that they are putting soldiers in jeopardy. If Congress tried to cut nuke budgets, Trump could just go on TV and say that Congress is making the US vulnerable. He would be right. These jokers can't even agree on planned parenthood funding, but now they are gonna grow some balls and try to wrest the football out of the executive's hands :lol:
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:07 pm

heydaralon wrote:I don't think there has ever been a precedent for Congress attempting to stop executive military action by cutting funds.
Vietnam, 5 August 1974. Nicaragua, 11 March 1987.

President Ford was not averse to congress taking responsibility for the fall of South Vietnam. President Reagan however, went behind their backs to Ollie North.
Nec Aspera Terrent