Carlinites Turned on Their Leader

DBTrek

Re: Carlinites Turned on Their Leader

Post by DBTrek » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:53 am

doc_loliday wrote:Trump pissed off the people that the forum had been collectively hating for years and Dan didn't like him, so the forum revolted. It's as simple as that.
This strikes me as the most viable explanation.

However, Dan was/is no shrinking violet when it comes to weathering criticism as members here can attest. Back when he engaged on his forum, he would engage. It got heated. It got personal. Feelers were hurt. So I don't think forum criticism scared him into acting. I think the guy probably looked at the forum at some point and said to himself "What is this investment buying me at this point? What's the ROI on letting this continue year, after year, forever?"

Nothing. Right? I mean, if it were free to run a forum that's one thing. But if you're paying to run it every month, it's hostile towards you, and you're pulling a negative financial return on it anyway, how long do you continue? He continued longer than I would have for sure.

Another thing that will surely piss off some of the ol' DCF regulars that migrated here. You know why people are so mad at Dan? You know why they're frothing f**king angry about his decisions, positions, selling-out, whatever? Because y'all like Dan. It's true. At some point in your life you listened to his shows and you started to like the guy. He became like a celebrity friend that you kinda know, and every time he put out new content it was like that friend was dropping by to say hello.

So when he put out shows you didn't like, or pivoted on positions where you felt you shared common ground, it was personal. It wasn't just some douchebag spouting off nonsense on the internet, it was your podcasting buddy Dan Carlin betraying you, and it felt personal.

That's a testament to Dan Carlin's ability to reach out and influence lives, for good or ill. On my personal scale of human measurement, that makes him a remarkable human being.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:00 am

Good post.

I still don't understand the 'betrayal' angle, but I feel the same way about Dan. It's nice to be an "early adopter" and feel connected to something, but it belongs to a much larger audience than us.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:35 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:I still don't understand the 'betrayal' angle, but I feel the same way about Dan. It's nice to be an "early adopter" and feel connected to something, but it belongs to a much larger audience than us.
Because you don't want to be the only one. Because you don't want to keep your mouth shut because you suspect you're on the fringe. Dan made it okay to think politicians suck, and that something other was possible, that an "outsider" would kiss everything & make it better... Then he cucked. We are again without cover, naked and alone.

p.s. Trump cucked us too but most people thought he might so, disappointed but no contract had really been signed.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:45 pm

DBTrek wrote:
doc_loliday wrote:Trump pissed off the people that the forum had been collectively hating for years and Dan didn't like him, so the forum revolted. It's as simple as that.
This strikes me as the most viable explanation.

However, Dan was/is no shrinking violet when it comes to weathering criticism as members here can attest. Back when he engaged on his forum, he would engage. It got heated. It got personal. Feelers were hurt. So I don't think forum criticism scared him into acting. I think the guy probably looked at the forum at some point and said to himself "What is this investment buying me at this point? What's the ROI on letting this continue year, after year, forever?"

Nothing. Right? I mean, if it were free to run a forum that's one thing. But if you're paying to run it every month, it's hostile towards you, and you're pulling a negative financial return on it anyway, how long do you continue? He continued longer than I would have for sure.

Another thing that will surely piss off some of the ol' DCF regulars that migrated here. You know why people are so mad at Dan? You know why they're frothing f**king angry about his decisions, positions, selling-out, whatever? Because y'all like Dan. It's true. At some point in your life you listened to his shows and you started to like the guy. He became like a celebrity friend that you kinda know, and every time he put out new content it was like that friend was dropping by to say hello.

So when he put out shows you didn't like, or pivoted on positions where you felt you shared common ground, it was personal. It wasn't just some douchebag spouting off nonsense on the internet, it was your podcasting buddy Dan Carlin betraying you, and it felt personal.

That's a testament to Dan Carlin's ability to reach out and influence lives, for good or ill. On my personal scale of human measurement, that makes him a remarkable human being.
In terms of history, Dan has forgotten more than I will ever know. He is well read and intelligent and I have always respected his mind. His history show is still good. I never fully agreed with his politics, but much of what he said resonated with me. But the Common Sense podcast saw a steep decline in quality. I don't see the decline as a result of him disagreeing with many of the people on this board. Its more of him being unwilling to honestly address the contradictions in his about face. In many of his new shows he has been repeating conventional wisdom. If he's gonna start doing that, then his political show loses much of its appeal. There is no shortage of MSM pundits who dislike Trump. That is a valid opinion, but once Dan goes that route he becomes just another pundit.
Shikata ga nai

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:21 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Good post.

I still don't understand the 'betrayal' angle, but I feel the same way about Dan. It's nice to be an "early adopter" and feel connected to something, but it belongs to a much larger audience than us.
If I remember correctly, you didn't listen to CS until after the forum got shut down.

I started listening to Dan seven years ago, and I was a late comer. Just because you weren't around to see it, doesn't mean the rest of us didn't.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:45 am

Okeefenokee wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Good post.

If I remember correctly, you didn't listen to CS until after the forum got shut down.

I started listening to Dan seven years ago, and I was a late comer. Just because you weren't around to see it, doesn't mean the rest of us didn't.
Not me. I started listening 2 years ago and went back another 100 or so in the archive. I've heard probably as much of it as anyone.

He has pretty much tracked my political views all along, even if the analysis is a bit shallower than it used to be.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:54 pm

Martin Hash wrote:Then he cucked. We are again without cover, naked and alone.

p.s. Trump cucked us too but most people thought he might so, disappointed but no contract had really been signed.
He didn't cuck.
He stood his ground.
He didn't like Trump and didn't pretend to... even if it lost him some of his fan base.
When his forum turned on him... he didn't just let them continue shitting on his rug... he kicked them out on their ass.

A cuck would have let the rug shitters keep shitting.
That's the definition of a cuck.

If you are without cover, naked and alone.... don't pin that on Carlin.
Get yourself some kit.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:11 pm

DBTrek wrote:

Yep.

I'm still happy for Dan. Thrilled really.
This guy saw a niche, a gap, an opportunity and he exploited it. It worked because he came across as genuine. People heard a voice and words they could empathize with.

A huge part of the success of Carlin is that he invested the time, money and talent to make professional productions. You can really tell his show apart from the sea of voices that are out there today. The quality of the show is there, even when you don't like the message.

Go Dan! Go get filthy rich and set your kids up with Trust Funds. I'm happy for you. You earned that.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

K@th

Post by K@th » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:25 pm

C-Mag wrote:
DBTrek wrote:

Yep.

I'm still happy for Dan. Thrilled really.
This guy saw a niche, a gap, an opportunity and he exploited it. It worked because he came across as genuine. People heard a voice and words they could empathize with.

A huge part of the success of Carlin is that he invested the time, money and talent to make professional productions. You can really tell his show apart from the sea of voices that are out there today. The quality of the show is there, even when you don't like the message.

Go Dan! Go get filthy rich and set your kids up with Trust Funds. I'm happy for you. You earned that.
+1 to both of you. It's nice to have been a small part of that. I was a subscriber for several years and I was one of the people that told him to stop sending out so many personal thank you notes, years ago. It wasn't necessary after the first one, or second one, or third one.

I told him once that I would continue to be a subscriber as long as he let me babble on his forum. I kept my word on that.
Account abandoned.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:01 pm

So you cancelled eh? Haven't done that yet.... But I probably should.
Probably should flip the monthly contributions over to my new favourite podcasts.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty