Carlinites Turned on Their Leader

TheReal_ND

Re: Carlinites Turned on Their Leader

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:44 pm

Ph64 wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:Ph64, dude, you got some skilz.
As it happens I worked for Raytheon in the 90s (they bought Hughes from GM, I was part of that), so obviously having collected a paycheck from "the MIC" (& having a clearance) I must be even more of a neo-warmonger shill than Dan ever could be. :whistle:
I have family that worked for Raytheon pre 9/11 and had a ton of stock options with them when she left. Hir was quite pleased in zir own way about that.

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:58 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Ph64 wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:Ph64, dude, you got some skilz.
As it happens I worked for Raytheon in the 90s (they bought Hughes from GM, I was part of that), so obviously having collected a paycheck from "the MIC" (& having a clearance) I must be even more of a neo-warmonger shill than Dan ever could be. :whistle:
I have family that worked for Raytheon pre 9/11 and had a ton of stock options with them when she left. Hir was quite pleased in zir own way about that.
I was out in '99, and got rid of my stock (fund in the 401k) by then... After they took an almost $billion loss on some military radar contract and writing down their investment in the Iridium satellite telephone thing... And the stock went from say $75/share to $18 in like 6 months. After which, of course, they announced like 10% layoffs across the board, and the CEO got a $22million "performance bonus" - for what "performance" nobody was really sure. A Greek tragedy?

Raytheon was horrible, of all the places I've worked they were the "micromanagement leader", couldn't order a box of pens without having a director level or c-suite sign off on it.
"People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome."

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:02 pm

Damn well that's a hell of a dip. Confounding to imagine a company like Raytheon being so exposed to market forces when we just launched a few dozen mansions worth of Raytheon ordinance at a deserted strip of goat pasture.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:20 pm

Raytheon's been going like gangbusters of late, closed at $153 today, that's tripled your money in the four years since they kicked off this run in 2013.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:22 pm

That's cool that Carlin got some work on that PBS American Experience, even if you don't like PBS, still a good history program.
Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:33 pm

I liked nova back in the day. I'm not going to knock him for it at all but it doesn't allay the tin foil suspicion I had fostered during the election.

Case in point: the Daisy Ad was run against Goldwater, who shared some of Trump's rhetoric, on a specific day and time in October on a specific network. Come to find out Trump had a similar ad ran against him on the exact same date, time and network during a debate commercial break. Doesn't mean anything but Dan's next podcast a week later iirc, referenced Trump randomly dropping nukes (reminiscent of the Daisy Ad,) not once but three times in the first fifteen minutes. That really set my tinfoil off. Of course now Trump seems to be fulfilling the "Madman" diplomacy style with China that Nixon invented so it's kind of a moot point.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:38 pm

Well I always knew Dan was a faux rabble rouser, kinda hard for me to be "disappointed" when I never bought his pandering schtick in the first place, we used to have arguments all the time back in day, and I'd say "careful what you wish for, Dan, your populist uprising may come, but I don't think you're going to like it..."

If you're going to be a rabble rouser, with the courage of your convictions, you need to be ruthless and commited, and fully prepared to let it burn, otherwise, you're not a rabble rouser, you're just a whiner.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:50 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:I liked nova back in the day. I'm not going to knock him for it at all but it doesn't allay the tin foil suspicion I had fostered during the election.

Case in point: the Daisy Ad was run against Goldwater, who shared some of Trump's rhetoric, on a specific day and time in October on a specific network. Come to find out Trump had a similar ad ran against him on the exact same date, time and network during a debate commercial break. Doesn't mean anything but Dan's next podcast a week later iirc, referenced Trump randomly dropping nukes (reminiscent of the Daisy Ad,) not once but three times in the first fifteen minutes. That really set my tinfoil off. Of course now Trump seems to be fulfilling the "Madman" diplomacy style with China that Nixon invented so it's kind of a moot point.
Except Nixon killed maybe a million people with operations Linebacker 1 and 2. His threats were credible.

What is Trump going to do, blow up a tarmac somewhere?

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:53 pm

I don't think they will, but I'd still love to see the Rooskies call Trump's bluff and fire some warning shots back, right past America's ear, just to see what Trump would do.
Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:55 pm

Just to see what Ivanka tells him to do.