Carlinites Turned on Their Leader

heydaralon

Re: Carlinites Turned on Their Leader

Post by heydaralon » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:40 pm

Dan is no longer "Mussolini on the Veranda" he's more like "Mussolini upside down at the gas station".
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:57 pm

Wolf Blitzer in a Ducks ballcap (three inches taller and darker hair, though).

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:07 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Wolf Blitzer in a Ducks ballcap (three inches taller and darker hair, though).
"The old Establishment Wolf! Qaddaffi in the drainage ditch! Heeee's Dan Carlin!"
Shikata ga nai

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:51 pm

Now y'all are just being mean!
Please continue.
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

Penner

Post by Penner » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:13 pm

atanamis wrote:Dan Carlin has been suggesting for decades that what was needed was a candidate from outside the duopoly to get into the discussion to raise topics that the Republicans and Democrats both refuse to address. He has suggested in the past that people across the political spectrum should get behind someone like Ron Paul or Bernie Sanders or Ross Perot who will force a conversation that needs to be had. The problem with this theory has always been that a political outsider can be dangerously reactionary in addition to opposing the parts of the status quo that someone like Dan (and me) want to see discussed. Trump is a candidate that was truly outsider, but who also speaks in a way that communicates authoritarian, racial, and sexist biases that make Dan very uncomfortable (this is true of me as well).

Many on the forum welcomed Trump as an outsider, while being willing to overlook some of his more authoritarian and discriminatory statements as simple "political incorrectness". Even this would not have weakened his podcast the way that it did though had he been willing to engage with it during the election season. During the last election season Dan posted a number of podcasts during the primaries addressing what was happening and his concerns about it, while this time he released fewer podcasts and mostly dodged the topic. The few he has posted just assume his disdain for Trump without digging into his specific concerns in an effective manner. I really think this election cycle crushed a lot of Dan's spirit regarding possible solutions for this country. It showed the kind of outsider candidate that the often silent masses are willing to get behind.

Welcome back and I totally agree with what you have said above.

Overall, Dan did get an outsider but it was Donald Trump and his rhetoric that made Dan really uncomfortable and honestly Trump has made me uncomfortable.

I would like to add my two cents that some of Trump's ideas seem to be base on bs and that others are just rehashing of older ideas- like the building of that wall.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:10 pm

skankhunt42 wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
skankhunt42 wrote:
Dan Carlin is all about the money.
Explain to me how he's 'betraying' some ideal by working for PBS on a historical doc.
You know damn well. Dan's gimmick has been wanting a Washington outsider. PBS is clearly to the left. They threw money his way and he accepted. To be clear, the best thing for Dan's product line would be to produce a good product. If he presented amazing HH shows and found advertising that was not political, he'd make his bank. Dan by joining with PBS has been compromised. He's taking money from a true leftist organization. Dan took the money. Dan has failed. Why should I trust what Dan says? Dan now has a hell of a boss.
Just so we're on the same page here.... wanting an outsider candidate places you on the Right? And when he doesn't support the Orange Imbecile, he's then hardcore Left?

And working for PBS on a documentary is the same as "selling out" your ideals and being a totalitarian?

You do speaka de English yes?
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:19 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:You can't deny that his new audience are progressives and globalists either. Look at his Reddit community where the posters are aghast at the phrase America first. That phrase described Dan Carlin's entire world view until maybe two years ago.
Remember when he said trade policy should be based on protecting your own people?
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:21 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
skankhunt42 wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Explain to me how he's 'betraying' some ideal by working for PBS on a historical doc.
You know damn well. Dan's gimmick has been wanting a Washington outsider. PBS is clearly to the left. They threw money his way and he accepted. To be clear, the best thing for Dan's product line would be to produce a good product. If he presented amazing HH shows and found advertising that was not political, he'd make his bank. Dan by joining with PBS has been compromised. He's taking money from a true leftist organization. Dan took the money. Dan has failed. Why should I trust what Dan says? Dan now has a hell of a boss.
Just so we're on the same page here.... wanting an outsider candidate places you on the Right? And when he doesn't support the Orange Imbecile, he's then hardcore Left?

And working for PBS on a documentary is the same as "selling out" your ideals and being a totalitarian?

You do speaka de English yes?
...and I'm guessing as soon as he went to that CENTCOM meeting he was "sold out" to the MIC, and if the history gig stops working out for him he's got a high paying job waiting for him at Raytheon or something... He might even be a card carrying Bilderberger by now! :doh:
"People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome."

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:09 pm

Ph64, dude, you got some skilz.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:42 pm

Martin Hash wrote:Ph64, dude, you got some skilz.
As it happens I worked for Raytheon in the 90s (they bought Hughes from GM, I was part of that), so obviously having collected a paycheck from "the MIC" (& having a clearance) I must be even more of a neo-warmonger shill than Dan ever could be. :whistle:
"People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome."