Carlinites Turned on Their Leader

C-Mag

Re: Carlinites Turned on Their Leader

Post by C-Mag » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:56 am

There is no reason to be butthurt with Dan Carlin. He gave a bunch of misfits an electronic bar room and plenty of red meat for discussion. Doesn't mean we don't hold him accountable for what he has said in the past, just no reason to curse at the man.

As others have pointed out in these discussions when they come up. If you didn't understand which side of the political spectrum Dan favored, you weren't paying attention. I think the big surprise to many, and the feelings of betrayal, if that is not too strong of word, is that Dan more and more seems to be an establishment guy.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:10 am

Carlin turned me back on to history and he staked out a political commentary that was curiously neither obviously left nor rightward biased. That drew me to this forum where by lefty biases could be exposed and the reeducation could begin. I have a ton of respect for the man. I will continue to tune in to Common Sense the six times a year that it is released to see if Dan has any more interesting things to say.... Cool to hear he got a gig with PBS. It's a history show people... try to stay grounded. It's not all about your ego.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:12 am

When did PBS ever do a history show from anything but a leftist perspective?

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:31 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:When did PBS ever do a history show from anything but a leftist perspective?
Ken Burns Prohibition was pretty good. It showed the failure of the Progressive agenda........... yet didn't pin it on them.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:45 am

C-Mag wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:When did PBS ever do a history show from anything but a leftist perspective?
Ken Burns Prohibition was pretty good. It showed the failure of the Progressive agenda........... yet didn't pin it on them.

Yet didn't pin it on them..

PBS is full of it no differently than the rest of them.

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:03 am

Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:He's working for PBS now. Pray to St. Jude--Dan's a lost cause.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperie ... ar/#part01
I actually think its a bit of a stretch to say "he's sold out, he's working for PBS"... He doesn't appear on the credits as far as I can see for any part, and from the clips he maybe appears a few times with comments as an "interviewee", not as in any way involved with the production.

You might as well say he was a "sellout" to mainstream media for appearing for a short bit on the anniversary of the start of WWI, for 3 minutes or whatnot. An interview, not anything he really controlled creatively.
"People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome."

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:07 am

I see my attitude toward Dan falling somewhere between C-mag and GCF. If Dan has changed his views over time--a view that I don't really see much evidence to support--well, I can only say that we are all on a journey that inexorably affects our attitudes and beliefs, and Dan is no exception.

As for Dan and Trump, I think the 2016 election left Dan feeling a bit bewildered. I know that before the election, he felt as though he was repeating himself too much and was having a hard time coming up with new ideas. I think he was (probably still is) deeply distrustful of Trump's so-called authoritarian tendencies, but I don't really hold that against him; many Americans share that distrust to a greater or less degree, including everyone on this forum, I'd hazard to guess. That mistrust will either be confirmed or fade over the next four years as we see how Trump behaves in office over the long haul.

I was sad to see the DCF go, but I don't hold it against Dan--it was his to give or take away as he saw fit, and I could only be grateful for the time spent there and experiences garnered.

As far as PBS goes: there is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to make money in this country; I am skeptical of the notion that Dan would politicize a narrative about WW1; and I hope he does well with it, and that it leads him to greater opportunities. History narratives are clearly his first love, and he's an excellent storyteller.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:08 am

Ph64 wrote:
Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:He's working for PBS now. Pray to St. Jude--Dan's a lost cause.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperie ... ar/#part01
I actually think its a bit of a stretch to say "he's sold out, he's working for PBS"... He doesn't appear on the credits as far as I can see for any part, and from the clips he maybe appears a few times with comments as an "interviewee", not as in any way involved with the production.

You might as well say he was a "sellout" to mainstream media for appearing for a short bit on the anniversary of the start of WWI, for 3 minutes or whatnot. An interview, not anything he really controlled creatively.
Welcome to the forum!

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:18 am

When I authorized "Ph64," I thought, this is gonna to be a bot... But you're NOT! Thanks for being real, Ph64.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:23 am

de officiis wrote: Welcome to the forum!
Hopefully I don't curse it, I joined DCF like a month or two before it ended, don't even think I made it to 10 posts before it shut down. :?

Been lurking a while here.

Anyways, is anyone claiming this was Dan "selling out" to CBS??

"People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome."