Carlinites Turned on Their Leader

C-Mag

Re: Carlinites Turned on Their Leader

Post by C-Mag » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:55 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Ah well... I'm still a fan of HH... let's hope that it survives the storm.... and maybe Common Sense will rise again (I doubt it.)
He has a good formula going on HH, his biggest failures on that show is when he's wandered into more political stuff. Oddly enough, when Dan thinks he going to get a lot of push back on stuff like the early and mid Christian Religion, he hardly gets any. When he thinks he's safe, that whole big show about the Red Scare is when he gets in trouble.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:05 pm

There are some political theories that have been tested in the real world. Communism is hardly credible because of this. In my gut I feel that others like economic Libertarianism would be a disaster, but they have never been tested. As a result of this, their proponents can always use this lack of practice as a kind of shield. Dan has sort of been playing this game for years. I agreed with lots of his politics as well as his complaints about the two-party system, but he kind of tried to backtrack when it was actually implemented. He used to interview people like Gary Johnson, Buddy Dyer, and Jill Stein and ask them how they would even get elected. He never got a good answer from them. Dan always used to bring up the Ross Perot incident too. Then when Trump actually infiltrated the election and defeated the Romney Mccain elements of his party, while simultaneously spending far less money than a seasoned Washington insider and defeating her in a national election, Dan is suddenly silent. He said a few good things about Trump's foreign policy during election season (which seemed like it came out of a Pat Buchanan book, who Dan also interviewed), but he didn't add anything of consequence. His outside the box commentary was basically "Guys this isn't what I wanted." None of his Trump criticisms were particularly insightful either. In my opinion, this is the time for Dan to crank out the political episodes. Shit is getting stirred up right now.
Shikata ga nai

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:15 pm

If Dan had taken a stand on Trump like me (see my "Trump" podcast) then he could say, "I wished but it wasn't so," like I will (or not). No harm in being a naive optimist rather than a sheep, especially if that's been your shtick for a decade of Talk Shows.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:57 pm

Trump pissed off the people that the forum had been collectively hating for years and Dan didn't like him, so the forum revolted. It's as simple as that.

I said I'd give Trump a chance, and I hope he can turn it around, but he's already been a disappointment. Privacy is still going to shit, and we're getting more entangled in the middle east. But goddamn it, he pisses of the liberals.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:06 pm

Never turned on dan, and I haven't really seen the "change" that everyone likes to blather about. He's just maintaining a pretty sensible middle-ground IMO.

I've always hoped for an outsider as well, but a NYC real estate guy and reality show fool isn't what I had in mind. Maybe it's a step in the right direction, if we survive the next 3 years, who knows.

I didn't catch Dans voice on the PBS promo, but I'm glad for him that he's breaking into the mainstream. Just REALLY wish he'd get his ass back in the studio.
Last edited by SuburbanFarmer on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

skankhunt42

Post by skankhunt42 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:07 pm

Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:He's working for PBS now. Pray to St. Jude--Dan's a lost cause.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperie ... ar/#part01
Holy shit, fuck Dan Carlin. I'm all for making money, but man, fuck Dan Carlin. He sold out. Like, the movie Airheads sold out. Fuck Dan Carlin. Did I mention fuck Dan Carlin?
"just realize that our Welfare states are also propped up by your Warfare. You're not actually defending us from threats, but you are propping us up by fabricating threats to maintain the Perpetual War." - Smitty

skankhunt42

Post by skankhunt42 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:09 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:
Martin Hash wrote: Well, that pretty much explains everything.

p.s. Back during the forum transition from DCF to MHF, Dan (or a phone number from Dan's hometown) called me a few times but I didn't answer or call back. I was overseas with a 12-hr time difference, and I'd only spoken live to Dan one time at one of his talks in Eugene and he really didn't seem too interested in having any further discussion with me, so frankly, I just didn't care. Now I wish I'd called back, maybe he would have told me about the PBS contract. It's not reason enough to murder his forum but it does provide context.
Did you get the "head's up" e-mail with the pick a free tee shirt offer, too?
:snicker:
I emailed Dan about the forum situation and asked him why he got rid of it. From an outsider's perspective, it seemed like he was worried about the un-PC nature of many of the threads and the fierce arguments that regularly took place on them. Incidentally, that is always what I liked most about DCF. His vegan IT assistant Robin emailed back saying that it did not make financial sense to keep it going as Dan no longer participated in the board discussions. I asked him why he didn't get longtime users to act as moderators and help fix the problems. Many of the people on the DCF would have been willing to do it for free.

Martin's forum is just as good as Dan's was though, so the problem has resolved itself. But if Dan really did close down his forum because he was worried about offending his new reddit buddies, that is just pathetic. Looking at the tone of his new shows, I think that is exactly what happened. I guess the free speech nut Dan was willing to change his message in exchange for PBS dirty money lol.

If Dan is all about the money now, he should really start hunting for big game. I'm thinking the Clinton Foundation might have some space in their PR department for a "martian perspective"
Dan Carlin is all about the money.
"just realize that our Welfare states are also propped up by your Warfare. You're not actually defending us from threats, but you are propping us up by fabricating threats to maintain the Perpetual War." - Smitty

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:12 pm

skankhunt42 wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
Alexander PhiAlipson wrote: Did you get the "head's up" e-mail with the pick a free tee shirt offer, too?
:snicker:
I emailed Dan about the forum situation and asked him why he got rid of it. From an outsider's perspective, it seemed like he was worried about the un-PC nature of many of the threads and the fierce arguments that regularly took place on them. Incidentally, that is always what I liked most about DCF. His vegan IT assistant Robin emailed back saying that it did not make financial sense to keep it going as Dan no longer participated in the board discussions. I asked him why he didn't get longtime users to act as moderators and help fix the problems. Many of the people on the DCF would have been willing to do it for free.

Martin's forum is just as good as Dan's was though, so the problem has resolved itself. But if Dan really did close down his forum because he was worried about offending his new reddit buddies, that is just pathetic. Looking at the tone of his new shows, I think that is exactly what happened. I guess the free speech nut Dan was willing to change his message in exchange for PBS dirty money lol.

If Dan is all about the money now, he should really start hunting for big game. I'm thinking the Clinton Foundation might have some space in their PR department for a "martian perspective"
Explain to me how he's 'betraying' some ideal by working for PBS on a historical doc.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

skankhunt42

Post by skankhunt42 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:25 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
skankhunt42 wrote:
heydaralon wrote:

Explain to me how he's 'betraying' some ideal by working for PBS on a historical doc.
You know damn well. Dan's gimmick has been wanting a Washington outsider. PBS is clearly to the left. They threw money his way and he accepted. To be clear, the best thing for Dan's product line would be to produce a good product. If he presented amazing HH shows and found advertising that was not political, he'd make his bank. Dan by joining with PBS has been compromised. He's taking money from a true leftist organization. Dan took the money. Dan has failed. Why should I trust what Dan says? Dan now has a hell of a boss.

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:17 am

skankhunt42 wrote: Holy shit, fuck Dan Carlin. I'm all for making money, but man, fuck Dan Carlin. He sold out. Like, the movie Airheads sold out. Fuck Dan Carlin. Did I mention fuck Dan Carlin?
You going hipster on us?

Tavarish Dan Karlinov must workings for gloriuz revolushun! Making monies for ur shouw is evul kapitalishnoi. Must pravaid for gloriuz People for free!

Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.