Carlinites Turned on Their Leader

heydaralon

Carlinites Turned on Their Leader

Post by heydaralon » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:16 pm

I think its pretty funny that most of the people on this board started on DCF, yet now when Dan's political podcast is mentioned at all, it is usually hated on by the members of this board. I feel like Dan has kind of lost his touch in the current political situation. I have trouble making it through his Common Sense shows now. Its like he is worried about sounding pro-Trump, but he also really despises the status quo that Trump disrupted. Since Trump is easily personified and his opposition, while fierce, is disjointed it kind of makes Dan seem like he is pro pre Trump establishment, even though he spent years railing against that. I don't really know where I am going with this, but it seems like there has been a steep drop off in quality in Common sense, that has been a long time coming. I don't know how I feel about Trump other than being glad he won, but Dan has had a brutal identity crisis, oscillating between ignoring Trump during election season and repeating similar bullshit that I hear on MSM.
The history show still kicks ass though.
Shikata ga nai

atanamis

Re: Carlinites Turned on Their Leader

Post by atanamis » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:47 am

Dan Carlin has been suggesting for decades that what was needed was a candidate from outside the duopoly to get into the discussion to raise topics that the Republicans and Democrats both refuse to address. He has suggested in the past that people across the political spectrum should get behind someone like Ron Paul or Bernie Sanders or Ross Perot who will force a conversation that needs to be had. The problem with this theory has always been that a political outsider can be dangerously reactionary in addition to opposing the parts of the status quo that someone like Dan (and me) want to see discussed. Trump is a candidate that was truly outsider, but who also speaks in a way that communicates authoritarian, racial, and sexist biases that make Dan very uncomfortable (this is true of me as well).

Many on the forum welcomed Trump as an outsider, while being willing to overlook some of his more authoritarian and discriminatory statements as simple "political incorrectness". Even this would not have weakened his podcast the way that it did though had he been willing to engage with it during the election season. During the last election season Dan posted a number of podcasts during the primaries addressing what was happening and his concerns about it, while this time he released fewer podcasts and mostly dodged the topic. The few he has posted just assume his disdain for Trump without digging into his specific concerns in an effective manner. I really think this election cycle crushed a lot of Dan's spirit regarding possible solutions for this country. It showed the kind of outsider candidate that the often silent masses are willing to get behind.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:04 am

Welcome back Atanamis, haven't seen you for a while :D

For me, Dan started to jump the rails with his lack of critical commentary on Obama. While he was pretty good on 4th Amendment issues, he jumped on the Progressive Regime Change bandwagon in Libya. That was the first big shock to my Carlin support.

Then when Trump arose, he became partisan. After the election he gave a Very Good and balanced look at Trump. I called that cowardly. I understand Dan is business, he needs to look after his family income first, and I think that drove his trepidation along with personal biases.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:13 pm

He's working for PBS now. Pray to St. Jude--Dan's a lost cause.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperie ... ar/#part01
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

boethius

Post by boethius » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:19 pm

Dan took his 30 fucking pieces of silver from David Brock's ShariaBlue and Hillary Clinton's Correct the Record and became another fucking shill in an ocean of shills.

His history podcast is good, but Commonsense is trash. Just like Dan's waifu.
Still got my foreskin thanks for asking. - Montegriffo.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:20 pm

boethius wrote:Dan took his 30 fucking pieces of silver from David Brock's ShariaBlue and Hillary Clinton's Correct the Record and became another fucking shill in an ocean of shills.

His history podcast is good, but Commonsense is trash. Just like Dan's waifu.
Now what's all this about ?
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

boethius

Post by boethius » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:22 pm

Dan is fake news, just like his fake Ben.
Still got my foreskin thanks for asking. - Montegriffo.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:23 pm

Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:He's working for PBS now. Pray to St. Jude--Dan's a lost cause.
Well, that pretty much explains everything.

p.s. Back during the forum transition from DCF to MHF, Dan (or a phone number from Dan's hometown) called me a few times but I didn't answer or call back. I was overseas with a 12-hr time difference, and I'd only spoken live to Dan one time at one of his talks in Eugene and he really didn't seem too interested in having any further discussion with me, so frankly, I just didn't care. Now I wish I'd called back, maybe he would have told me about the PBS contract. It's not reason enough to murder his forum but it does provide context.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:25 pm

I think he somehow got affiliated with one of those Soros groups, or something similar, about two years ago or so (when I can remember the podcasts first slowly turning into the progressive/globalist rhetoric). By the recent election, he was dropping "talking points" that were exactly the same thing you would hear dropped by other progressive outlets right around the same time.

Not sure how to prove it other than him admitting it, but I can't explain his change outside of that. How does it make financial sense to drastically reduce your output and simultaneously put out the opposite of what you were saying for decades?

You can't deny that his new audience are progressives and globalists either. Look at his Reddit community where the posters are aghast at the phrase America first. That phrase described Dan Carlin's entire world view until maybe two years ago.

I am not sure how else to make sense of what he became, really. Think back to when he started going to those global policy meetings. Was that when he got a publicist as well?

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:45 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:He's working for PBS now. Pray to St. Jude--Dan's a lost cause.
Well, that pretty much explains everything.

p.s. Back during the forum transition from DCF to MHF, Dan (or a phone number from Dan's hometown) called me a few times but I didn't answer or call back. I was overseas with a 12-hr time difference, and I'd only spoken live to Dan one time at one of his talks in Eugene and he really didn't seem too interested in having any further discussion with me, so frankly, I just didn't care. Now I wish I'd called back, maybe he would have told me about the PBS contract. It's not reason enough to murder his forum but it does provide context.
Did you get the "head's up" e-mail with the pick a free tee shirt offer, too?
:snicker:
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "