What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

heydaralon

Re: What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Post by heydaralon » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:45 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:17 pm
My sister gave me a copy of ''The body'' by Bill Bryson for Christmas.
I've not read anything by him before but have heard good things from those who have.
He's good. A Short History of Nearly Everything is excellent. Check out At Home as well. I'm not a STEM guy but he makes science super enjoyable.
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:10 pm

Reading Max Hastings' Vietnam right now. Also reading Days of God by James Buchan about the Iranian Revolution. Both are pretty good books.
Shikata ga nai

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:13 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:10 pm
Reading Max Hastings' Vietnam right now. Also reading Days of God by James Buchan about the Iranian Revolution. Both are pretty good books.
Max Hastings' Das Reich is a good book. I read it a long time ago and last year I visited Oradour sur Glane. Spooky place.
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=2520&start=290#p252264
https://www.maxhastings.com/products/das-reich/
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:17 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:13 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Max Hastings' Das Reich is a good book. I read it a long time ago and last year I visited Oradour sur Glane. Spooky place.
After Vietnam, my next big reading project is WW2. I have Anthony Beevor's history of it, but I also bought Hastings' overview as well. He is a good writer. Das Reich looks good. Hastings also has some books on Falklands and Korea which look interesting.
Shikata ga nai

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:54 am

heydaralon wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:17 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
After Vietnam, my next big reading project is WW2. I have Anthony Beevor's history of it, but I also bought Hastings' overview as well. He is a good writer. Das Reich looks good. Hastings also has some books on Falklands and Korea which look interesting.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:24 pm

Hastur wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:54 am
heydaralon wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:

I have read a few of VDH's books. I like his writing, but I am conflicted about him. Part of me enjoys his stuff, but the other part views him as a neocon stooge. I feel that a lot of his history stuff gets too political, especially in Carnage and Culture. He really found a way to shoehorn some of his bullshit in there.
Shikata ga nai

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:34 am

heydaralon wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:24 pm
Hastur wrote:
heydaralon wrote:

I have read a few of VDH's books. I like his writing, but I am conflicted about him. Part of me enjoys his stuff, but the other part views him as a neocon stooge. I feel that a lot of his history stuff gets too political, especially in Carnage and Culture. He really found a way to shoehorn some of his bullshit in there.
Neocon how? I always saw him more like a classic conservative, speak-softly-and-carry-a-big-stick kind of guy. Not a fan of pointless interventions and regime change adventures.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:21 am

Loserthink.jpg
So far, so good...

p.s. Scott Adams always verges on the edge of what I think of as a Meta. I have moved him on and off the list several times. He is definitely wise though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:23 am

heydaralon wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:45 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:17 pm
My sister gave me a copy of ''The body'' by Bill Bryson for Christmas.
I've not read anything by him before but have heard good things from those who have.
He's good. A Short History of Nearly Everything is excellent. Check out At Home as well. I'm not a STEM guy but he makes science super enjoyable.
ASHONE is one of only a couple books that I went out and bought AFTER I read it.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:22 pm

Hastur wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:34 am
heydaralon wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:24 pm
Hastur wrote:

Neocon how? I always saw him more like a classic conservative, speak-softly-and-carry-a-big-stick kind of guy. Not a fan of pointless interventions and regime change adventures.
His stuff on Iraq and Vietnam sound very Neo Conish to me. He's also a hardcore Israel supporter. Doesn't diminish his ancient works at all, I'm just a bit leery of his stuff concerning Patreaus and the Middle East and all. VDH has stated that he considers himself a Truman style Democrat, so make of that what you will
Shikata ga nai