What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

brewster

Re: What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Post by brewster » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:22 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:36 am
I am reading book two of the Three Body Problem.

Chinese SF definitely does not fuck around. This shit is very good.
I kinda stalled in the middle of book one. Could be it doesn't lend itself to audio. Not everything works well in that format. Just started Bernard Cornwell's Fools And Mortals, some kind of thriller set around Shakespeare in 16th century London. We'll see, every one in a while I don't like a Cornwell book.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:40 am

FOF Rudy Rucker sends a great little PKD joint for the weekend:

https://twitter.com/rudytheelder/status ... 58657?s=03

http://sickmyduck.narod.ru/pkd105-0.html

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:53 am

brewster wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:22 am
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:36 am
I am reading book two of the Three Body Problem.

Chinese SF definitely does not fuck around. This shit is very good.
I kinda stalled in the middle of book one. Could be it doesn't lend itself to audio. Not everything works well in that format. Just started Bernard Cornwell's Fools And Mortals, some kind of thriller set around Shakespeare in 16th century London. We'll see, every one in a while I don't like a Cornwell book.
You have to give it a chance.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:58 am

I heard Hancock on the Joe Rogan podcast and have been loving his stuff ever since. Rollicking adventures through prehistory searching for clues to Atlantis. Non fiction that feels like fiction! Is Hancock a genius or a nut job.... Who cares! I haven't had this much fun learning about ancient archeological finds probably ever.

Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:50 am

This Boomer Jew Faustian Post-Modern-Homeless-LA woo-woo new life fantasy about the Great American Hope from Tennessee just came out this weekend. I read it in one sitting last night.

THE GOAT

Whatever happened to Dan Gelber - the divorced screenwriter who journeyed to Nepal in his seventies only to plunge to his death off of Mt. Everest?

And just who is Jay Reynolds - the mysterious twenty-year-old tennis prodigy who appears out of nowhere to battle Rafael Nadal at the French Open and Roger Federer at Wimbledon and become the new hope of American tennis, possibly "the greatest of all time"?

And why is a Nepalese shaman from a San Fernando Valley strip mall, of all places, sitting in the stands making tennis balls do tricks the way Uri Geller bends spoons?

Award-winning mystery writer (Moses Wine series) and Academy Award-nominated screenwriter, Roger L. Simon answers these questions and more (including the nature of life) in...

The GOAT - aka The Greatest of All Time

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:05 am

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:11 pm

This is actually surprisingly good. It's like a mashup between starship troopers and a Vietnam war movie. Pulpy as hell. Canon, not so much. Riveting nonetheless.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:18 pm

Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:20 pm

Finished this one last night. It's kind of like a spy novel if the spy was working for the Vatican going around chasing down witches, saving the Galaxy from the forces of Chaos, while summoning demons that keep fucking with his head and life. It's pretty trad.

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:15 am

Full short story from Zero HP Lovecraft at the link:

the green new deal
The first time I saw a Greenlight pod in person was yesterday. It was glossy white with an eye-catching vertical green stripe, cool pine tree green, subtly illuminated by inset LEDs. There was a portrait on the side of it at eye level, a pretty blonde woman holding a young boy, smiling down at him, tranquil and content. The boy had brown hair, and he was also smiling, warm pink cheeks, blue eyes. The woman looked a little like me, like she could have been my cousin. Underneath the portrait was a single Helvetica block cap word: HOPE.