What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Speaker to Animals

Re: What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 06, 2019 12:15 pm

brewster wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:11 pm
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:07 pm
Good horror is also a mystery story.

I think the same is true of most SF, really. Even good military SF is a mystery as well. Mote in God's Eye for instance is a giant mystery of how this civilization runs and what they agenda they were hiding from the humans.
I've had a standard rant for decades that SF isn't a genre unto itself, it's a genre modifier for ALL other genres. Think of a genre, and it's been done as SF. The context of this rant is that Hollywood thinks SF=action-adventure.
Hollywood treats SF as either space fantasy (Star Trek, Star Wars, etc) or as a western.

There is very little real SF coming out of Hollywood. Or on television for that matter.

I see a lot of people who call themselves SF geeks but who only know fantasy like Star Trek. Most of them have no contact with real SF.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon May 06, 2019 12:28 pm

I've just started watching Andromeda. Seen the first three episodes and am wondering whether it's worth ignoring the hammy acting and continuing with it or not?
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 06, 2019 12:29 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:28 pm
I've just started watching Andromeda. Seen the first three episodes and am wondering whether it's worth ignoring the hammy acting and continuing with it or not?
Space fantasy. Sort of cool for what it is.

Nietzchians were pretty cool. You can tell the original vision might have been kind of cool, but they just didn't want to get too dark with it.

Not really science fiction, though.

brewster

Post by brewster » Mon May 06, 2019 1:32 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Eh, only if you've seen all the other better TV SF. Seen The Expanse, Dollhouse, Sarah Connor Chronicles, Farscape or even Babylon 5?
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 06, 2019 1:36 pm

Farscape is probably best space fantasy out there.

Expanse is legit SF, though watered down a bit.

brewster

Post by brewster » Mon May 06, 2019 1:44 pm

Mon May 06, 2019 1:36 pm

Fair, though I wonder about the next season of Expanse. If they do time travel I will be so pissed. FWIW, Dollhouse is actually very good real SF. Takes one SF concept and explores all its implications rather than throwing in a dumpster load of hack tropes.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 06, 2019 1:51 pm

brewster wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:44 pm
Mon May 06, 2019 1:36 pm

Fair, though I wonder about the next season of Expanse. If they do time travel I will be so pissed. FWIW, Dollhouse is actually very good real SF. Takes one SF concept and explores all its implications rather than throwing in a dumpster load of hack tropes.
The novels go off in a totally diff direction from Abaddon's Gate, which is where the last season ended.

brewster

Post by brewster » Mon May 06, 2019 1:53 pm

Ah. I need to go back and finish that book, I got bored like 1/4 in. I found the whole elaborate plot by the "bitch bent on revenge" pretty absurd.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 06, 2019 1:56 pm

brewster wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:53 pm
Ah. I need to go back and finish that book, I got bored like 1/4 in. I found the whole elaborate plot by the "bitch bent on revenge" pretty absurd.
Yeah, it goes downhill from there. I bailed on the novel that follows that one.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon May 06, 2019 2:06 pm

brewster wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:32 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Eh, only if you've seen all the other better TV SF. Seen The Expanse, Dollhouse, Sarah Connor Chronicles, Farscape or even Babylon 5?
Am just trying out my Amazon Prime video library.
Watched the first episode of The Expanse last week, will probably continue watching that one.
Have binge-watched all 3 series of the man in the high castle, I like some aspects of it but disappointed overall. The best thing about it was the props department.
Binge-watched American Gods next, am a Neil Gaiman fan after reading Good Omens so enjoyed the story and it is well acted and visually stunning although a bit predictable at times.

So am looking for the next thing to binge watch.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.