What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Smitty-48

Re: What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:54 pm

America practically wrote the Hague Convention, the Hague Convention is written entirely in America's favor.

For America to forgo the Hague Convention, is self defeating.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:55 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:45 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:16 pm
I'm in Nixon camp. Zomg dead civilians from a major war. Who would have guessed?
Don't cry to me about Domestic Spying then.

My Lai is Waffen-SS

If you allow a Waffen-SS, you're allowing a Gestapo by default.

If the security forces can get away with My Lai, they can get away with anything.

What is imposed on the fringes of empire, will come to roost in the center, inexorably.
You don't think firebombing Dresden and Tokyo were war crimes though? You wouldn't make the argument that if we do that in some enemies country, the US air force will firebomb Chicago or Santa Fe. Its all relative. Turning a blind eye or at least being realistic about evil chicanery that happens during a fucked up conflict in a nasty third world country (that probably also doe shit like that. I'm sure those Vietnamese people practiced infanticide and probably raped many women decades before the war) is way different than saying it is acceptable in America. The American border is sacred. We have desecrated it, and made it ugly by compromising with caravans, amnesties and the like, but it is vastly different than a giant jungle toilet like Vietnam.
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:59 pm

For firebombing to have been a crime, it would have to have been against the law.

But thanks to the Hague Convention, being the law at the time, Tokyo and Dresden were fair game.

The Hague Convention only outlawed Guernica. Undefended target.

Defended targets; fair game.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:04 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:59 pm
For firebombing to have been a crime, it would have to have been against the law.

But thanks to the Hague Convention, being the law at the time, Tokyo and Dresden were fair game.

That's just a technicality. I'm glad we did firebomb those faggots, and in total war, if some gay little convention said not to, then we would have ignored it if it helped us win. The Sicily Convention wouldn't have stopped Rome from destroying Carthage and salting the Earth. That shit is window dressing after the fact. I personally think a lot of those niceties probably prolong conflicts and actually increase the bloodshed.
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:08 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:04 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:

That's just a technicality. I'm glad we did firebomb those faggots, and in total war, if some gay little convention said not to, then we would have ignored it if it helped us win. The Sicily Convention wouldn't have stopped Rome from destroying Carthage and salting the Earth. That shit is window dressing after the fact. I personally think a lot of those niceties probably prolong conflicts and actually increase the bloodshed.
I'm not glad. I simply blame the enemy.

The Germans and Japanese simply brought the roofs down on their own children.

They could have surrendered. It's not like the Americans were going to liquidate them if they did.

Should have surrendered to the Americans, as soon as that became an option.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:15 pm

I don't think America should have firebombed North Vietnam neither.

The problem with Rolling Thunder was not a lack of firepower.

LBJ was not allowing the regime targets to be bombed, because he feared escalation with the Chinese.

I agree with Nixon and Goldwater. The Chinese were not going to start a nuclear war for Vietnam.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:20 pm

The Air Force actually had the right plans in hand.

Arc Light.

Linebacker.

Commando Sabre.

The problem was LBJ didn't use that.

By the time Nixon had a chance to put that in place, LBJ had already lost the war by pointless Search & Destroy.

LBJ would not let the Air Force run the air war.

LBJ ran the air war himself from the Oval Office.

LBJ did not know how to use air power.

Simple as that.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:42 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:08 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:

They could have surrendered. It's not like the Americans were going to liquidate them if they did.

Has that ever happened in history though? I mean, what nation in the midst of a serious conflict that has spent years ratcheting up the public for it ever just been like, fuck it I quit? Not to mention, it took America almost 10 years to stop the Vietnam war, even though it seemed like the public and hip sector hated it and we are a democratic republic in theory. Can't even imagine what it would take to stop a war in some totalitarian dictatorship society short of what levelling its cities. They were on the roller coaster at that point and the bar came down forcing them to stay in their seats.
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:51 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:42 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
heydaralon wrote:

Has that ever happened in history though? I mean, what nation in the midst of a serious conflict that has spent years ratcheting up the public for it ever just been like, fuck it I quit? Not to mention, it took America almost 10 years to stop the Vietnam war, even though it seemed like the public and hip sector hated it and we are a democratic republic in theory. Can't even imagine what it would take to stop a war in some totalitarian dictatorship society short of what levelling its cities. They were on the roller coaster at that point and the bar came down forcing them to stay in their seats.
Capitulation was the norm for thousands of years.

Totalitarian regimes were a new phenomena.

That totalitarianism results in self annihilation, was a new paradigm, but it wasn't a crime as a result.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:59 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:51 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:42 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:

Capitulation was the norm for thousands of years.

Totalitarian regimes were a new phenomena.

That totalitarianism results in self annihilation, was a new paradigm, but it wasn't a crime as a result.
Maybe it was a crime, but America didn't pick a fight with Japan and Germany contrary to Buchanan and Carlin. Germany fucking declared war on us for some reason and Japan sneak attacked us. Crazy they would have assumed that a massive industrial giant with a huge population would take that personally. Its like when Hamas sets up a rocket installation right next to a hospital and then launches an attack on Israel. Then they cry about war crimes when Israel responds. If I was in a bar and walked up to the biggest heaviest biker in their and kicked him the balls, I don't have the moral high ground when he knocks my teeth out.
Shikata ga nai