What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

GloryofGreece

Re: What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Post by GloryofGreece » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:08 pm

Brave New World is the superior book and predicted what soft despotism would more likely look like. Course , Huxley I think had some connection with the MKUltra shit and possibly in favor of what his book claimed to be a critique of.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:27 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:08 pm
Brave New World is the superior book and predicted what soft despotism would more likely look like. Course , Huxley I think had some connection with the MKUltra shit and possibly in favor of what his book claimed to be a critique of.
I know that book is Dystopian, but if they could actually genetically engineer you to be perfectly content whatever your station was in life (and this was actually possible), I'd want to live there. Even though they exiled the protagonist in the end, he ended up on an island with others like him, so it was actually merciful what they did. I get that we are supposed to be outraged, but Huxley's book had the reverse effect on me. I get that we won't ever live in that world, but reading the book always made me want to live there. Soma trips etc. Shit, I'd just go on a 6 month Soma trip and then leave the mortal coil with a smile on my face. Win/win.

BNW reminds me of Walden Two by BF Skinner. You ever read that book?
Shikata ga nai

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:40 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:27 pm
GloryofGreece wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:08 pm
I know that book is Dystopian, but if they could actually genetically engineer you to be perfectly content whatever your station was in life (and this was actually possible), I'd want to live there. Even though they exiled the protagonist in the end, he ended up on an island with others like him, so it was actually merciful what they did. I get that we are supposed to be outraged, but Huxley's book had the reverse effect on me. I get that we won't ever live in that world, but reading the book always made me want to live there. Soma trips etc. Shit, I'd just go on a 6 month Soma trip and then leave the mortal coil with a smile on my face. Win/win.

BNW reminds me of Walden Two by BF Skinner. You ever read that book?
I'd rather not be a brain in a vat. I'd rather not the shadow was a shadow in the cave etc. It would be like finding out we are just a simulation etc. I also think there are tons of people out there that are not torn by existential angst all the time, nor do they dwell in the negative etc. Those people have a life worth living. Im a Winter Christian and envy the Christians of Summer but do not wish them ill or despise them for their joy nor think it a fools errand. I think its a way a lot of people are just set to be and that's a good thing. But me being me , no I don' think choosing the blue pill or getting uploaded to the Matirx or whatever is a life i'd willing choose. And trust me for the past several years ive been plagued by constant anxiety attacks, real health scares, deaths, suicide, and money problems. Fuck it though its my "miniaturized under case heroes journey".

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:14 am

Skinner was a pseudo authoritarian really. I think in general population control, centrally planned, conditioning etc. is the enemy to living authentically. Maybe its what will "save" us or prevent planet suicide but i don't know if its worth it. Then again im all for a society ruled by Christendom and that would authoritarian in many ways too.

Brave New World having the psychologist as the top caste is hilarious really. Savage reservations trips, soma, no families, conditioning the working class to not like books or nature etc.haha. What a fucking "happy" nightmare. But hey at least people are "happy". That's the thing you could never engineer that. Never. It would always backfire in some unanticipated way.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:22 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:14 am
Skinner was a pseudo authoritarian really. I think in general population control, centrally planned, conditioning etc. is the enemy to living authentically. Maybe its what will "save" us or prevent planet suicide but i don't know if its worth it. Then again im all for a society ruled by Christendom and that would authoritarian in many ways too.

Brave New World having the psychologist as the top caste is hilarious really. Savage reservations trips, soma, no families, conditioning the working class to not like books or nature etc.haha. What a fucking "happy" nightmare. But hey at least people are "happy". That's the thing you could never engineer that. Never. It would always backfire in some unanticipated way.
I agree.

The Walden Two book is actually kind of hilarious in a way. It is a bit like Plato's Republic. Anyway, you might enjoy it. I am not convinced by Skinner's conclusions.

There are schools of thought that think a lot of these philosophy utopian books are written with a different meaning than is widely percieved. For instance, the NeoCon father Leo Strauss thought that Plato meant the whole thing as a satire. Rousseau gets this treatment a lot too. I'm not sure I buy these arguments, but in some cases it essentially reverses the positions that we thought the philosophers had.
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:04 pm

Inspired by MartyrMade, I am reading the Road to Jonestown by Jeff Guinn. I read the Raven (about the same events) by Reiterman years ago, but this version reads better and is more engaging. It also has newer info that Reiterman didn't have access to. I listened to Guinn's audiobook on Charles Manson awhile back, and that was a fucking page turner. Worth the time.
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:35 am

heydaralon wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:04 pm
I am reading the Road to Jonestown by Jeff Guinn.
I'm always down for more Jonestown, I'm gonna check that one out.

Jonestown is a metaphor for the Democrat party.

Liz Warren reminds me of Jim Jones.
Nec Aspera Terrent

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:24 am

heydaralon wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:04 pm
Inspired by MartyrMade, I am reading the Road to Jonestown by Jeff Guinn. I read the Raven (about the same events) by Reiterman years ago, but this version reads better and is more engaging. It also has newer info that Reiterman didn't have access to. I listened to Guinn's audiobook on Charles Manson awhile back, and that was a fucking page turner. Worth the time.
Do you buy into any conspiracy about Laurel Canyon music scene / Manson being interconnected with the CIA in anyway ?

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:28 am

I'm inspired to write a novel that would be billed as dystopian but in reality is our world now and not in some far future or just a cautionary tale etc. No it's now it's here and the plot would essentially be living freely as possible until or if the boot drops down on you like o idk Ruby Ridge.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:50 am

GloryofGreece wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:28 am
I'm inspired to write a novel that would be billed as dystopian but in reality is our world now and not in some far future or just a cautionary tale etc. No it's now it's here and the plot would essentially be living freely as possible until or if the boot drops down on you like o idk Ruby Ridge.
Spice it up with some paramilitary action.

Make the Green Beret a John Rambo.

Make the White Supremacists all ex military.

Ruby Ridge on steroids.
Nec Aspera Terrent