What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

heydaralon

Re: What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Post by heydaralon » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:46 pm

I am listening to the audiobook of Silence of the Lambs. Thomas Harris is a damn good writer, and I like just about all the media that is related to his books (except Hannibal Rising fuck that movie in the ass with a broken bottle). Lecter is one of the all time great villains. The book is a pageturner, despite me knowing the twists. I'm going to listen to the trilogy out of order and do Red Dragon next.

Just a pro-tip. The NBC show Hannibal is loosely based on the books, but I fucking loved it. It suspends disbelief by a cockhair, but it is visiually beautiful, and Mikkelson gives a different take on Hannibal that is pretty awesome. Again, this isn't the Wire. It doesn't feel even remotely realistic, but it is awesome. The ending is meh. Even still the third season's failure to live up to the first 2 does not negate its amazingness as a show. If you all are into Thomas Harris or the Hopkins movies, check the show out for sure.
Shikata ga nai

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:59 am

Fife wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:00 pm
I read Lucifer's Hammer a few years ago based on the commendation of our very own STA. I thought it could have been about 2/3 the length, but for a 1977 novel about SHTF, it holds up pretty good. Along that same line, I think what I liked best was the mixture of nostalgia and melancholy I felt thinking about how cool California *used* to be.

As long as I'm here, CA is as cool as the other side of the pillow.

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:09 am

:think:

A New Robert A. Heinlein Book to be Published Based on Newly Recovered Manuscript.

The complete text of a new book by Robert A. Heinlein has been recovered and restored and will be published by Phoenix Pick in November 2019.

Heinlein wrote this as an alternate text for “The Number of the Beast.” This text of approximately 185,000 words largely mirrors the first one-third of the published version, but then deviates completely with an entirely different story-line and ending.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:14 am

hmmm

I wonder if he wanted it published.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:15 am

Latest Niall Ferguson...

So far so good... but only a few chapters in.
the square and the tower.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

brewster

Post by brewster » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:52 pm

Fife wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:09 am
:think:

A New Robert A. Heinlein Book to be Published Based on Newly Recovered Manuscript.

The complete text of a new book by Robert A. Heinlein has been recovered and restored and will be published by Phoenix Pick in November 2019.

Heinlein wrote this as an alternate text for “The Number of the Beast.” This text of approximately 185,000 words largely mirrors the first one-third of the published version, but then deviates completely with an entirely different story-line and ending.
That was when Heinlein became unreadable. An entire novel of people bickering in a car.

I recently reread a great obscure bio, McGoorty, about a billiard player and hustler who came of age in the 20's. Basically a real writer who knew him in his 60's wrote down all his stories of prohibition orgies, riding the rails, and serious billiards. Quite a character, even his friends called him "that prick McGoorty".
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:12 am

Here's an idea with consumer appeal: https://nypost.com/2019/02/16/this-nyc- ... n-minutes/

There's something very Bradbury- or Matheson-ish about a bookstore machine that prints up a book for you on demand.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:33 am

"Impeach Trump and Die”. (2019)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M7DWJSN

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:12 pm

I just finished reading a book called Notes from the Hyena's Belly. The author, Nega Mezlekia grew up in Ethiopia. He was a teenager when the communists took over after the brutal '74 famine and deposed the senile Haile Selassie. He lived in the police state, and actually fought against it at one point. Civil War, political purges, strange animistic rituals, pranks, thievery, and prostitution are all featured in this book, and it often reads like Catch-22. Its not a long book at all, and many of you may enjoy it.
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:32 pm

I'm also a little more than halfway into the Stand by Stephen King. I saw that awful ass miniseries from 1994, so I know how it ends, but it is a pretty decent book so far. Wish they did not have the Mother Abigail character. Stephen King really loves his magical negro plot devices, but it is some cringeworthy shit. I like Flagg though, and I think Vegas would have been the place to be over boring ass Boulder...
Shikata ga nai