What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Montegriffo

Re: What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:58 pm

For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:54 am

I saw an interview with one of my faves that reminded me of a book some of you all would enjoy:

The Future and Its Enemies: The Growing Conflict Over Creativity, Enterprise, and Progress
Today we have greater wealth, health, opportunity, and choice than at any time in history. Yet a chorus of intellectuals and politicians laments our current condition -- as slaves to technology, coarsened by popular culture, and insecure in the face of economic change. The future, they tell us, is dangerously out of control, and unless we precisely govern the forces of change, we risk disaster.

In The Future and Its Enemies, Virginia Postrel explodes the myths behind these claims. Using examples that range from medicine to fashion, she explores how progress truly occurs and demonstrates that human betterment depends not on conformity to one central vision but on creativity and decentralized, open-ended trial and error. She argues that these two opposing world-views -- "stasis" vs. "dynamism" -- are replacing "left" and "right" to define our cultural and political debate as we enter the next century.

In this bold exploration of how civilizations learn, Postrel heralds a fundamental shift in the way we view politics, culture, technology, and society as we face an unknown -- and invigorating -- future.

The interview I just saw, on The Elements of Writing: http://theelementsofwriting.com/postrel/

It also helps that, unlike many, perhaps most, female writers, I have never felt either market pressure nor a personal desire to write about my personal experiences and emotions. What interests me is learning and writing about the world.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:47 pm

Creepy

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:46 pm

The White Lie is a translation for a fatwa in Arabic, Al-Kedhb al-Abyad, issued by theologian Yusuf al-Qaradawi, chairman for The European Council for Fatwa and Research (ECFR). Al-Qaradawi and his companions are part of one of the biggest movements in the world, The Muslim Brotherhood.
The book presents extensive research in the Muslim Brotherhood sources to understand the ideology and strategies of the movement from the most important primary sources and how it uses White Lies to reach the aim of their strategies. It also shows examples of the application of these strategies in the West with a documented study in Sweden, where the author relied on the documents of the archives of Swedish government institutions. The book contains over 800 footnotes.
The Muslim Brotherhood has, according to one of the most prominent leaders in the movement, Youssef Nada, more than 100 million members all over the world. It is a controversial movement since they have managed to advance all the way to governmental positions in many Muslim countries and they have official and unofficial relations with many politicians and religious authorities all over the world. At the same time, it is singled out as one of the biggest greenhouses for terror organizations and terrorists.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:16 am

This post-apocalyptic book is disturbing. Really takes the fun out of nuclear war. I think The Road might be the only take on the apocalypse more depressing than this.

Stephen King promised to finally shut up about politics on Twitter, so I'm giving him a "thank you" read.
Seriously, why would Stephen King think anyone cares about his political views? How many people does he think are desperate to turn to an ex-coke head, alcoholic, deranged shut-in for political insights?

You're good at one thing, Stephen.
Stick with it.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:28 pm

Not a big King fan. The man doesn't know how to end a book imo. His best work in his collection of short stories called Different Seasons. Out of those, the best was "The Body" which was what the Stand by Me film was based on. A very interesting book on an EMP attack (that may or may not be realistic) is One Second After. Interesting premise, but be forewarned the characters are pretty one dimensional. Still overall, it pulls very few punches, and some of the shit in there is nightmare fuel.
Shikata ga nai

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:35 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:28 pm
Not a big King fan. The man doesn't know how to end a book imo. His best work in his collection of short stories called Different Seasons. Out of those, the best was "The Body" which was what the Stand by Me film was based on. A very interesting book on an EMP attack (that may or may not be realistic) is One Second After. Interesting premise, but be forewarned the characters are pretty one dimensional. Still overall, it pulls very few punches, and some of the shit in there is nightmare fuel.
I’ve seen One Second After recommended a few times (usually aling with World War Z and Lucifer’s Hammer). I’ll have to give it a shot sometime. Tried giving Lucifer’s Hammer a read but I just couldn’t do it. Characters were sooo corny... couldn’t imagine trying to make it through an apocalypse with them.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:41 pm

You might not like One Second After for similar reasons, then.

People need to NOT read One Second After. We are full up here. No more people. This is a nuclear strike zone. You should go to Texas to survive N-Day.

There are bands of roving KKK paramilitary death squads and the local governments are all run by the communist party. Go to Texas.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:44 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:35 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:28 pm
I’ve seen One Second After recommended a few times (usually aling with World War Z and Lucifer’s Hammer). I’ll have to give it a shot sometime. Tried giving Lucifer’s Hammer a read but I just couldn’t do it. Characters were sooo corny... couldn’t imagine trying to make it through an apocalypse with them.
I haven't heard of Lucifer's Hammer. I wasn't a big fan of the WWZ movie (haven't read the original), but then again I don't like zombie stuff in general. Forstchen's motivation for the Second After book are a bit suspect. It seems like he is somehow involved with Gingrich and MIC pork projects based on what I've read. There is a dinosaur thread on here discussing this with Smitty I believe. That being said, his book is fairly interesting to me despite the shade getting thrown on it. I haven't read his sequels. Out of all the apocalyptic media I have consumed, his take on it seems more realistic than most.

If you are a fan of McCarthy, you should check out his other books too. To me, that guy is a national treasure, and probably tied with James Dickey as my favorite American author who ever lived.
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:45 pm

Lucifer's Hammer is fucking incredible.

Everybody needs to read that book and consider moving to the San Joachim Valley to survive the end times. Don't read One Second After. Don't come to WNC.