What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

heydaralon

Re: What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Post by heydaralon » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:36 pm

The trailer made it look like a poor man's TRON or a rich man's TRON depending on your views of TRON. Leave the book alone, let the author's stuff speak for himself. Imagine if people started repainting works of art.

"I loved the Sistine Chapel! My only problem is that I didn't profit from it personally. Its not like I can just paint literally any other fucking thing I want. I have to repaint this art! Don't worry, if you don't like mine some other guy will repaint it in 5 years."

Or what if we rewrote books?

"I loved Harry Potter, but there weren't enough black nongender conforming muslims. My new version fixes that."

All these academic types would be outraged, but we can remake and adapt all these shitty movies and no one bats an eye.

Sewer culture.
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:52 pm

And thats the other thing....

If these fucking writers wanted their work to be on a screen, they should have just written a fucking screenplay. Books are a different medium, and 99 times out of 100 the end result just comes out halfbaked and awful. Commit to one or the other. Or write screenplays and books, but don't cross them. Faulkner wrote screenplays so dd Cormac McCarthy. They turned out pretty decent. God I fucking hate just about every movie that comes out now. They are all shit. People get so excited about this garbage too.
Shikata ga nai

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:09 pm

heydaralon wrote:And thats the other thing....
God I fucking hate just about every movie that comes out now. They are all shit. People get so excited about this garbage too.
Bland, maybe. Shit, come on now...

You should watch more foreign and indie stuff.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:53 am

"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:25 am

Not quite as awesome as a normal Neal Stephenson book because he cowrote it but still really good. There's a little more humor in the book too that I'm not sure if its Stephenson's voice or Galland's but I like it. I think the humor could be Stephenson based on some of the absurd humor that you'd see from Jack in the Baroque Cycle or certain commentaries on society in Anathem.

Its taking me longer than normal just because I feel like I've been watching more shows instead of reading lately
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:21 am

If you are interested in reading other books about negotiating, "Getting to Yes" is considered by many to be a classic:

http://www.csce001.com/edit_zoop/upload ... 058421.pdf

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:46 pm

The good, the true, & the beautiful

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:41 pm

https://www.audible.com/pd/Nonfiction/A ... B00G6ZLMDC

I just started it. It's written by a philosophy professor who is interested in teaching how to practically apply stoicism to the modern life rather than theory and history. I am only into chapter two now, but I can tell I really like it.

I will be listening to it a lot over the next forty to forty-eight hours during my next fast.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:42 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:https://www.amazon.com/Land-So-Strange- ... A0P35MQP46

Cool true story.

Also finished ,

https://www.amazon.com/River-Doubt-Theo ... r+of+doubt

awesome read/or audible to.

Have you read Lost City of Z? I highly recommend that book if you liked the two you just posted. Not the movie but the book.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:34 pm

AutoCAD 2016

PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience