What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Fife

Re: What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Post by Fife » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:46 am

A hot title on the MHF shopping list:

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:12 am

I'm reading two books at the moment.
The first is Practical Blacksmithing, it's a 19th C. basic engineering and fabrication manual. How to make everything needed for 19th basic life................... and how to make the tools necessary to make those things.

This is my first true blacksmithing book. Though on my path to journeyman farrier I read several related books. It's great so far. But frankly, I my next choice on the subject will be more contempary. I'm not too certain my life is going to require me to make wagon wheels or a single bottom plow.

The second book is Mark Dice............ Fake News. Just cracked it open.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:25 pm

Anyone else on here have hundreds of books they could read but end up only reading 2-3 a year? I spend way way too much time listening to Youtube clips, podcasts, and skimming articles online. The best thing about learning online are the free courses available sometimes in video format sometimes simply audio. I've taken countless courses through a simple Audible/Amazon credit and that's a great way for me to learn but I've actually finished less books in the past 5 years than I use to read before , during, and right after college.

There's only so much time in the day and imagine spending any free time other than with your children helping them read and paying attention to them until they go to sleep. Then maybe you have 1-2 hours depending on how much sleep you want to prioritize. So your going to at least occasionally hopefully have sex so that's like what 5 minutes ok haha maybe 15 tops, and your likely going to watch a movie or a show. Well folks that's it right there time to go to bed.

Never mind, preparing for the next day, basic grooming, stress reduction/mediation/prayer/deep breathing exercises and some type of physical fitness etc. Oh yeah lets say you also want to maintain a basic vegetable garden and play and train your dogs and need to clean and maintain your yard/house. O and get those guns and start practicing every damn week. Good luck man. Fuck.

I'm not a very orderly organized dude. I'm all in my head and almost manic it seems. I've never been able to stick to using a planner/calendar, and I have tons of short lists on sticky notes all over the place. I'm too sporadic and the things that organize my life my job, wife, and dogs help keep me from going crazy but man there's so much I want to "do" I end up only doing a small percentage of it.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:51 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:12 am
The first is Practical Blacksmithing, it's a 19th C. basic engineering and fabrication manual. How to make everything needed for 19th basic life................... and how to make the tools necessary to make those things.

This is my first true blacksmithing book. Though on my path to journeyman farrier I read several related books. It's great so far. But frankly, I my next choice on the subject will be more contempary. I'm not too certain my life is going to require me to make wagon wheels or a single bottom plow.

Have you read any of Nassim Nicholas Taleb? Like Skin in the Game? Seems legit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_in_the_Game_(book)
The good, the true, & the beautiful

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:59 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:51 pm
C-Mag wrote:

Read the Black Swan. Very interesting stuff, some parts of it I had to read like 6 times to get, but the guy is a very engaging and interesting thinker. Check him out.
Shikata ga nai

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:23 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:51 pm
C-Mag wrote:

+1 on your above post about not reading enough books start to finish, I'm there too for the same reasons.

I had never heard of Taleb
Intellectual Yet Idiot
Intellectual Yet Idiot (IYI) is a term coined by Nassim Nicholas Taleb in his essay by the same name that refers to the semi-intelligent well-pedigreed "who are telling us 1) what to do, 2) what to eat, 3) how to speak, 4) how to think… and 5) who to vote for". They represent a very small minority of people but have an overwhelming impact on the vast majority because they affect government policy. IYI are often policy makers, academics, journalists, and media pundits.

But I think I'm going to like him. Boy, he nailed it with IYI. I will definitely be stealing that. Thanks GOG :dance:
PLATA O PLOMO

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:54 pm

I am about done with a memoir written by a North Korean who spent 10 years of his life as a boy in a concentration camp in the Yodok region. Its called the Aquariums of Pyongyang. They were eating rats and cockroaches to survive but it wasn't real communism, because that hasn't been tried yet. Not a long book, but very very interesting. The best prison camp biography I've read by far is Kolyma Tales by Shalamov (which should be required reading in American schools), but this one is worth checking out if you all get the chance.
Shikata ga nai

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:43 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:54 pm
I am about done with a memoir written by a North Korean who spent 10 years of his life as a boy in a concentration camp in the Yodok region. Its called the Aquariums of Pyongyang. They were eating rats and cockroaches to survive but it wasn't real communism, because that hasn't been tried yet. Not a long book, but very very interesting. The best prison camp biography I've read by far is Kolyma Tales by Shalamov (which should be required reading in American schools), but this one is worth checking out if you all get the chance.
Real Communism hasn't been tried yet :lol:
My kids got a steady dose of Holocaust stories, not much on the Holodomar, Great Leap forward or other Communist atrocities.
PLATA O PLOMO

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:50 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:43 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:54 pm
Real Communism hasn't been tried yet :lol:
My kids got a steady dose of Holocaust stories, not much on the Holodomar, Great Leap forward or other Communist atrocities.
I think communism and the long list of starvation, deaths, an atrocities, as well as its inherent failures, should be taught in American schools every year the way the holocaust is. I don't know the stats on this, but I'll bet less than 5% of our population (maybe a lot less) even know who Pol Pot is, or who Mengistu, or even who Mao is. This shit is important. If we keep on this stupid path, we could end up in a very dark place. The really sick thing is, every victim of Communism did serve a purpose for the rest of mankind. They served as a warning for what happens when you let the state run every aspect of your life. If something like that, even a less severe version of it took place in the West after all that happened, its like those folks died for no reason. Everyone knows who Hitler is and it is seeped into our consciousness. Should we not also teach them about Stalin, who had a far longer legacy and a far higher body count?
Shikata ga nai

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:26 pm

I think the US hid the crimes of the USSR from the public, to avoid WW3. We’re still under that threat, of course, but now that policy is starting to bite us in the ass.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0