What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

heydaralon

Re: What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Post by heydaralon » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:35 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:34 pm
It’s time for CME (Continuing Medical Education) units. I won’t be reading anything else for a while except during 15 days in Panama & Columbia when I’ll be rereading some of my old David Brin books, then back to CME.
I thought you said that you just got re-certified. Well, good luck with your studying. I've always wanted to go through the Panama Canal. My grandfather went through there during WW2. They all took showers while they were passing through fresh water.
Shikata ga nai

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:50 pm

After recert, it’s time to start a new round of CMEs. I do those first then I do CLEs, then CPEs, and finally CEEs, all starting anew on a rare sync.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:17 pm

Started listening to Moby Dick. I will listen to more of it tomorrow on the way to work.
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:01 pm

I am reading Utopia in Power by Mikhail Heller. It is a book on the Soviet Union from 1917 till Gorbachev. It is very very good so far.

GloryofGreece: Check this book out if you have a chance man. I read a couple of short summarized books on modern Russian history for a class years back. They were ok. This one is a lot more fleshed out, with stats, figures and detail. You would enjoy it man. You can find it cheap used on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Utopia-Power-His ... 332&sr=1-1

I also started Robert Service's: Lenin. Service is also a hardhitter when it comes to debunking Communist saints. He wrote a bio of Stalin and Trotsky as well. I have not read either, but the Trotsky one got some serious flack from some marxist university professors, mainly because it showed that Trotsky was a grotesque arrogant figure who was as eager to slaughter innocents as his butt buddy Lenin and future nemesis Stalin. Orlando Figes, another historian of the USSR, got into it with him, and I believe he got in trouble for leaving some fake amazon reviews under troll accounts. Academic politics are very weird man.
Last edited by heydaralon on Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:02 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:17 pm
Started listening to Moby Dick. I will listen to more of it tomorrow on the way to work.
I love that novel.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:07 pm

I got a routine. I listen to an audiobook on the way to work (usually fiction) and at my job before the store opens. Then on my break I usually read a nonfiction book. There is this pretty awesome park near a lake where I work that I hang out in and read. Its actually pretty relaxing. One of my few minor joys in life at the moment.
Shikata ga nai

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:34 pm

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/18446 ... merReviews
Yamashita's Gold. How we likely plundered Japan's loot from Asia. Makes me wonder how much gold, silver, gems, cash, and valuables the "allies" looted from Germany / Italy after the War too.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:36 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:02 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:17 pm
I love that novel.
Often im more interested in the man behind the novel than the story itslef.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Melville

For example for me learning about guys like Dickens, Twain, Tolstoy, and Dostoevsky through biography was as good or better than their writings.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:43 am

Anything would be better than reading Dickens.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:06 am

Charles Dickens loved America when he first went there. And Americans loved him greeting him in the street. Later he found out American publishers were pirating his books and publishing them without giving him royalties, and he hated America from then on. Fuck that guy. He's not half as good as Dean Koontz.
Shikata ga nai