What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

apeman

Re: What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Post by apeman » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:24 am

Hastur wrote:Image

I'm thinking of going through this list and see what I can make myself interested in.

this good too

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:01 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:I am about 2/3 through the Ready Player One audiobook. This novel is a masterpiece.

DB, you need to get this.
I'll pick it up.
I have a couple Audible credits kicking around, and it looks like a load of free time coming in August.

Fans of the book are reasonably concerned about the the Spielberg production. It's a hefty trust.

The advance trailer came out at the SD Comic-Con.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/ready ... 202503639/

What do you say, fanbois?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:06 pm

Without even watching the trailer, I know he's going to social justice that shit right up. Several characters are ripe for SJW propaganda.

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:25 pm

I don't want to reveal any spoilers to others, but you are certainly right.

However, will SS be able to tell the story with the big reveals at the end of the story the way Cline did?

If he stays true to the pacing of the novel, and the motivation of Wade to simply WIN THE GAME (just like everyone else's motivation), it could be fantastic.

If SS just gives away the big reveals at the beginning to make the narrative "right," then fuck him. That's prolly what he'll do. Fucker.

Anyway, fuck em all. :goteam:

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:45 pm

Reveal is getting out early and lots of victimology propaganda will ensue. That's what this guy does.

An awesome character will be reduced to propaganda. Count on it.

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:56 pm

Sad! but almost certainly true.

The character we are thinking of (and probably others) will find some brave way to defeat Anorak's game by applying SJ "reasoning" to a D&D game or a Family Ties rerun. And the Suxxors will be redeemed at the end somehow as civilization's last hope. Fuckers.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:59 pm

I'm reading Chester Bennington's book on knot tying.
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:59 pm

Fife wrote:Sad! but almost certainly true.

The character we are thinking of (and probably others) will find some brave way to defeat Anorak's game by applying SJ "reasoning" to a D&D game or a Family Ties rerun. And the Suxxors will be redeemed at the end somehow as civilization's last hope. Fuckers.

I would have gone with a director like Luc Besson (i.e. Fifth Element and District 13).

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:26 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Fife wrote:Sad! but almost certainly true.

I would have gone with a director like Luc Besson (i.e. Fifth Element and District 13).
Are you kidding me? That guy sucks shit through a coffee straw! All of his movies suck, including the Professional! Except for that black tranny character from the Fifth Element. That character was actually important for society.
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:29 pm

I'm not defending Spielberg at all. This movie looks worse than a Haitian AIDS clinic after a major Earthquake. I'm just of the opinion it shouldn't be made at all. People should just read the damn book instead of wanting everything to be translated into a CGI shitfest. What a novel idea!
Shikata ga nai