CS 313 - Get me a glass of Water

Okeefenokee

Re: CS 313 - Get me a glass of Water

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:28 pm

Haumana wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
I got about 15 minutes left on Martyr Made, then I got a list of others to get to. These HS and CS might stack up quite a ways before I get to them.

What's your list? Color me curious.
Podcasts are dangerous history, twilight history, 5th column, history on fire, decline of the west.

Got a couple dozen audio books I have yet to listen to. My listening time is defined by my drive time. I need a driving game I can play with wheel and pedals to just drive around and listen to stuff.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:43 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
Haumana wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
I got about 15 minutes left on Martyr Made, then I got a list of others to get to. These HS and CS might stack up quite a ways before I get to them.

Podcasts are dangerous history, twilight history, 5th column, history on fire, decline of the west.

Got a couple dozen audio books I have yet to listen to. My listening time is defined by my drive time. I need a driving game I can play with wheel and pedals to just drive around and listen to stuff.
:) I work alone so I get 5+ hours a day to have my head stuffed with podcasts. "You are not so Smart" is a good listen but not for politics or history.

The last driving game I played. :scared-ghostface:

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:06 am

Haumana wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
Haumana wrote:

:) I work alone so I get 5+ hours a day to have my head stuffed with podcasts. "You are not so Smart" is a good listen but not for politics or history.

The last driving game I played. :scared-ghostface:

I used this one for a while, but I need to be at the wheel.

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

apeman

Post by apeman » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:19 pm

Came here for Carlus' Good, Bad and Ugly

leaving satisfied.

You know my general politics, so this is a Q is uncomfortable to me but is making reevaluate (as I always am):

What if our 3-branch, diluted power, special-interest fueled system CANNOT SOLVE ANY REAL PROBLEM WE FACE?

What if your current system's ceiling is maintaining this slow decline, kicking the can down the road on every issue, until one day we can't?

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:34 pm

apeman wrote:Came here for Carlus' Good, Bad and Ugly

leaving satisfied.

You know my general politics, so this is a Q is uncomfortable to me but is making reevaluate (as I always am):

What if our 3-branch, diluted power, special-interest fueled system CANNOT SOLVE ANY REAL PROBLEM WE FACE?

What if your current system's ceiling is maintaining this slow decline, kicking the can down the road on every issue, until one day we can't?
Sometimes a dictator is necessary. The Romans knew it. Add "benevolent" if it make you feel better.
Burn it down!
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:41 pm

I have a little too much James Tiberius Kirk in me to capitulate when it looks hopeless.
I don't believe in all that Soft Landing Bullshit they like to sell us, or we need to lower our standards.

However, we do need to take our problems head on. Just like an Addiction, you need to admit you have a problem. We haven't done that yet.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

apeman

Post by apeman » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:45 pm

Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:

leaving satisfied.

Sometimes a dictator is necessary. The Romans knew it. Add "benevolent" if it make you feel better.
Burn it down!
Agreeing with you would represent me taking everything I believed in (Constitution, 3 co-equal branches, checks & balances, love of the myth of America), tossing it aside, and going full Sun King.

that is A LOT of digest. But for the first time in my life I am willing to entertain the possibility that our system cannot be saved, and that it cannot even begin to solve our current problems. Terrifying thought, but maybe the truth is terrible. I dunno, I don't endorse these thoughts in any way, just throwing em out for discussion.

Carlus, not talking capitulation, we're talking about ideas and challenging priors. What if our system cannot "take our problems head on"?

(Anyone here read Moldbug?)

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:59 pm

Carlin tells us how fucked up our system is. The media tells us... wait a second, let's remember we have a "mainstream" media and a "conservative" media--anyway--C liked the idea of the media putting the microscope to Trump, but they're just being dicks. There's Yuge shit going on and they're still talking about solo Russian ships in international waters and Ivanka's clothes line.
Burn, baby, burn!
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:30 pm

apeman wrote:
Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:

leaving satisfied.

Burn it down!
Agreeing with you would represent me taking everything I believed in (Constitution, 3 co-equal branches, checks & balances, love of the myth of America), tossing it aside, and going full Sun King.

that is A LOT of digest. But for the first time in my life I am willing to entertain the possibility that our system cannot be saved, and that it cannot even begin to solve our current problems. Terrifying thought, but maybe the truth is terrible. I dunno, I don't endorse these thoughts in any way, just throwing em out for discussion.

Carlus, not talking capitulation, we're talking about ideas and challenging priors. What if our system cannot "take our problems head on"?

(Anyone here read Moldbug?)
Our current system is woefully out of date, and dogmatic. There's no way of saving it, IMO, unless we can branch out into a more advanced coalition government system, with a number of parties and various points of view available. Run-off voting is also desperately needed.

-but waimminit! There's some dumb shit about racism and taxes that we can blather on and get re-elected!!!
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

apeman

Post by apeman » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:38 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Our current system is woefully out of date, and dogmatic. There's no way of saving it, IMO, unless we can branch out into a more advanced coalition government system, with a number of parties and various points of view available. Run-off voting is also desperately needed.

-but waimminit! There's some dumb shit about racism and taxes that we can blather on and get re-elected!!!
I wasn't going there. The answers to our difficult problems -- solutions that, no matter the form, will require some pain -- will not be enacted by splintering authority into many separate groups. That is the problem. that is the core of my concern, and the reason for this internal crisis I am feeling.