CS 313 - Get me a glass of Water

Lucky1936

CS 313 - Get me a glass of Water

Post by Lucky1936 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:58 pm

Does anyone else still listen to Common Sense?

The reason I liked Dan in the first place was because, as a guy who doesn't know a lot about politics, I appreciated that he could explain the strategies of what's really going on behind the scenes as if he's explaining a sport to someone who doesn't know a whole lot about that sport. A couple years ago, Dan seemed to get bored with the sport of politics (having seen the same thing repeat itself for over 20 years) and for a long time just did a bunch of whining about how much politics sucked.

Then the 2016 election happened. Now that his shock of Trump winning has wore off (and TBH, he should have been the first to call that one) I like that he seems to be back to analyzing politics and trying to explain what he figures is going on (even though right now, he seems to think he has no idea what's going on). I thought it was interesting to compare the Democratic Party's present state of affairs to the Republicans after the 2008 election (Tea Party, etc.)

Can't really disagree with the warning that both sides are getting a bit outta hand with the racism, violence and general lack of decorum.

Hopefully the next podcast comes out sooner, and has more of the old CS feel to it. It would be nice to have an 'In Related News" segment or something like that again.
Wow, look at all the smilies!!

Martin Hash

Re: CS 313 - Get me a glass of Water

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:15 pm

Dan's lost his CS mojo. When he was opining about Trump's 2018 Impeachment, I shook my head. There's lots-n-lots to say about Trump.

p.s. Actually, I think Trump will be Impeached by the House & voted out by the Senate because it will put Pence in power.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:24 pm

It turns out that Trump is an authoritarian racist and that violent words are worse than violent actions.
:clap:
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:25 pm

Dan who?
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:29 pm

Though I voted for Trump, and always thought he would win, I think he's an immature buffoon, symptomatic of a broken political system.

p.s. When everyone gets a vote, the least informed get the most power.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:42 am

Martin Hash wrote:Though I voted for Trump, and always thought he would win, I think he's an immature buffoon, symptomatic of a broken political system.

Nobody forced the government to encourage everyone voting. I am in favor of everyone having the right, but people who make no effort to learn about the issues should be discouraged.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:48 am

Enjoyed the show, as always.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:53 am

Somebody give me a quick rundown.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:43 am

Martin Hash wrote:Though I voted for Trump, and always thought he would win, I think he's an immature buffoon, symptomatic of a broken political system.

I'm right there with you on the first point. I voted for Trump, but he's a fuckhead.

I'm enjoying the general wringing of hands by his opposition and most of it is ridiculous. Dan had some good points in this episode on a more macro level about the loss of our checks and balances. One of the reasons I voted for Trump is that I thought the checks and balances may return due to the opposition, but we're seeing the deep government take over right now wth the releases of the leaks and whatnot, and that is more scary to me than Trump's authoritarianism.
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

adwinistrator

Post by adwinistrator » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:43 am

California wrote:

I'm right there with you on the first point. I voted for Trump, but he's a fuckhead.

I'm enjoying the general wringing of hands by his opposition and most of it is ridiculous. Dan had some good points in this episode on a more macro level about the loss of our checks and balances. One of the reasons I voted for Trump is that I thought the checks and balances may return due to the opposition, but we're seeing the deep government take over right now wth the releases of the leaks and whatnot, and that is more scary to me than Trump's authoritarianism.
Thought it was a good episode, and think the checks and balances is my main concern as well.

IC leaks make a lot of sense to me, even though I also agree that it's not ideal and, in general, a bad thing.

President Trump came out of the gate swinging, and when there were clear issues that required congressional oversight, congress acquiesced. When there was the slightest push back against his unilateral authority, he tweets that if there is a terrorist attack it's the judges fault. He's attacking the very last checks and balances on basic principles of EO legality.

There was an ongoing investigation into Russian election fuckery, as well as a joint IC investigation into certain Trump campaign members. New administration, new IC directors, and most likely attempts to bury those investigations. If the IC has found illegal actions that are being buried by the executive branch for political reasons, I want them to keep trying to get that known. Senate Intelligence Committee should be one of the main ways, but what if the majority leadership doesn't want to know, or get involved? More political roadblocks. At some point, the IC has to get that shit known to the public to put the pressure on Congress to do their fucking job and attempt to check and balance the executive.

It shouldn't be this fragile, but we all understand how it got this weak, and now hopefully some lessons can be learned and the checks and balances strengthened.