Up and Vanished

Xenophon

Up and Vanished

Post by Xenophon » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:33 pm

This is a podcast I've been following for a while. It's about the disappearance of school teacher and beauty queen Tara Grinstead. It happened in my state when I was in high school, but I never recall hearing about it.

It's eerie the similarities between the town involved and many small towns around me, and the characters (and their accents) seem quite familiar to me. Highly recommended.

It's website is upandvanished.com I think. You can also find it on iTunes.

heydaralon

Re: Up and Vanished

Post by heydaralon » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:58 pm

They finally got the guy in custody. I listened to a few episodes of that podcast. Sometimes I go onto the unresolved mysteries subreddit and read about those cases. You might enjoy it, even though its mainly speculation.
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:28 pm

Ever listen to that missing 411 stuff about our national parks?

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:54 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Ever listen to that missing 411 stuff about our national parks?
That guy Paulides is a great narrator. I've listened to him in interviews and his speaking skills are phenomenal. However, I feel like he is a bit disingenuous. He will often talk about how they find the clothes of missing people when the weather is cold, and how the bodies are never found, but terminal burrowing and paradoxical undressing are well documented phenomena. It seems like he is trying to sell different ideas depending on the interview. Personally, I don't give much credence to bigfoot or a National Parks coverup. I think the Park Service is probably among our most innocuous services of government. In my opinion a lot of the missing people are not found due to reasons above, but I think some of the disappearances are probably the work of various serial killers. That being said, I have looked into many of the cases he's mentioned and they are chilling.
Shikata ga nai

Penner

Post by Penner » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:59 am

That podcast sounds kind of like the podcast, My Favorite Murder. It's basically a true crime podcast where the two hosts will sometimes encourage their audience to write to them about a famous murder in their local area. It's interesting to listen to what they talk about epically when they are covering a topic like the Night Stalker.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:04 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Ever listen to that missing 411 stuff about our national parks?
That guy Paulides is a great narrator. I've listened to him in interviews and his speaking skills are phenomenal. However, I feel like he is a bit disingenuous. He will often talk about how they find the clothes of missing people when the weather is cold, and how the bodies are never found, but terminal burrowing and paradoxical undressing are well documented phenomena. It seems like he is trying to sell different ideas depending on the interview. Personally, I don't give much credence to bigfoot or a National Parks coverup. I think the Park Service is probably among our most innocuous services of government. In my opinion a lot of the missing people are not found due to reasons above, but I think some of the disappearances are probably the work of various serial killers. That being said, I have looked into many of the cases he's mentioned and they are chilling.
I bet the park service is the nexus of it all, and we're all looking in the wrong place. Den of thieves that lot.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:40 pm

Penner wrote:That podcast sounds kind of like the podcast, My Favorite Murder. It's basically a true crime podcast where the two hosts will sometimes encourage their audience to write to them about a famous murder in their local area. It's interesting to listen to what they talk about epically when they are covering a topic like the Night Stalker.
Richard Ramirez (The Night Stalker) or The Original Night Stalker (as yet uncaught)?
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:05 pm

Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:
Penner wrote:That podcast sounds kind of like the podcast, My Favorite Murder. It's basically a true crime podcast where the two hosts will sometimes encourage their audience to write to them about a famous murder in their local area. It's interesting to listen to what they talk about epically when they are covering a topic like the Night Stalker.
Richard Ramirez (The Night Stalker) or The Original Night Stalker (as yet uncaught)?
The original night stalker was like the michael jordan of rapists. I want them to catch that fucker because I have read all these wild theories about who he is and he almost doesn't seem like a real person. If they do catch him though, it will be a disappointment. These people are rarely criminal masterminds. They are usually mediocre pathetic individuals.
Shikata ga nai

Penner

Post by Penner » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:04 pm

Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:
They have talked about both on their show.

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:15 am

heydaralon wrote:The original night stalker was like the michael jordan of rapists. I want them to catch that fucker because I have read all these wild theories about who he is and he almost doesn't seem like a real person. If they do catch him though, it will be a disappointment. These people are rarely criminal masterminds. They are usually mediocre pathetic individuals.
The two make a perfect juxtaposition: Ramirez looks like the nightmarish devil-worshipping serial killer that he really was, while the Original Night Stalker probably is an evil genius who can pass as a regular dude--maybe married with kids, good job, no criminal history--who's scarier?

I only became interested in serial killers a few years ago when the police by me accidentally discovered one (at least) in our midst--the "Long Island Serial Killer;" and so far, they've got next to nothing on him from what I can learn. I've always been a sucker for a mystery.
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "