"Decline of the West" by Darryl Cooper

DrYouth

Re: "Decline of the West" by Darryl Cooper

Post by DrYouth » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:16 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:I like Peterson but I worry about him sometimes. The frog life obviously chose him and not the other way around but I worry he doesn't know what he's getting into. He's reframing the counter culture to suit his ideas but that is not how it works.
The Frog is not the whole of the counter culture... Maybe you need to accept that.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:26 pm

Maybe you need to accept what the frog actually is instead.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:34 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Talk to AI guys in the computer science department and you will hear the word ontological spoken all the time.

In this case, it was a lot of nonsense jargon used to dress up some sophomoric philosophy, however. I enjoyed their other episodes a lot, but this one was pretty silly.
Do they say epistemology any as well? haha. Nature of knowledge vs. the nature of being...similar in a lot of ways and have been hearing those words a lot in Wes Cecils lectures, Petersons, and Daryl's.

Sure, but not as much as the word ontology. We need ontologies to organize knowledge and to represent the world as some kind of data structure the AI agent can use to understand the world and act within it. Whether or not the agent can truly understand anything is even more moot than the philosophical question of whether or not a human can truly know something external to the mind. That just goes into philosophy, not strictly computer science.

The closest we come to epistemology would be in theoretical computer science when we prove what is computable and not computable, how a theoretical machine (like a Turing machine) can know it's own encoding, make modifications, etc., with self-reference, and so on. In that sense, I think we are technically in epistemological territory, but it's applied rather than theoretical. We also delve into this territory in cognitive science, cognitive modeling, and in human-computer interaction when we study how humans process information, how they interact with machines and the world, etc.

But when we discuss this stuff, it's all in the context of either practical real-world applications, or legitimately understanding understanding itself in a computational framework. We don't get high and talk about bubbles and foam and throw out fancy words to make it sound good.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:43 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
DrYouth wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:I like Peterson but I worry about him sometimes. The frog life obviously chose him and not the other way around but I worry he doesn't know what he's getting into. He's reframing the counter culture to suit his ideas but that is not how it works.
The Frog is not the whole of the counter culture... Maybe you need to accept that.
Maybe you need to accept what the frog actually is instead.
Arguing over a cartoon frog, the decline of the west manifest.
*yip*

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:54 pm

The frog is part of what is the west.

It is a symbol for inner search, spiritual and psychological transformation, chaos, and all the good things that makes western civilization more interesting than eastern civilization. We are independent thinkers, embracing the chaos. The easterners fear it, and rather embrace conformity and uniformity.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:57 pm

StCapps wrote:Arguing over a cartoon frog, the decline of the west manifest.
Color me shocked you care more about a pederasty promoting fag than a metaphysical symbol.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:08 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
StCapps wrote:Arguing over a cartoon frog, the decline of the west manifest.
Color me shocked you care more about a pederasty promoting fag than a metaphysical symbol.
Pepe is cartoon, and also a metaphysical symbol. But you are still arguing over a modern cartoon character, and modern cartoons would be an form of art that Spengler would have no doubt considered decadent and void of metaphysics. Spengler would tsk tsk the fuck outta you and you know it, hence the decline of the west manifest, at least to Spengler.
Last edited by StCapps on Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:11 pm

That cartoon frog might have saved western civilization, pal.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:16 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:That cartoon frog might have saved western civilization, pal.
A little early to tell one way or another on that front. Most cartoon frogs of the past haven't saved civilization though, pro tip, don't assume that pepe will save the west just because the frog is an important metaphysical symbol that has played an important role in past cultures, that's wishful thinking.

You could be right, but you could just as easily be wrong. Kermit didn't save the West and he's far more ubiquitous in Western Culture than Pepe. Pepe is not a widely enough recognized symbol yet to have the kind of effect that you speak of on the wider culture, maybe one day, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
Last edited by StCapps on Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
*yip*

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:18 pm

StA wrote:It is a symbol for inner search, spiritual and psychological transformation, chaos, and all the good things that makes western civilization more interesting than eastern civilization. We are independent thinkers, embracing the chaos. The easterners fear it, and rather embrace conformity and uniformity.
Western civilization is gobbling up eastern civilization...

Lululemon... nuff said.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty