"Decline of the West" by Darryl Cooper

DrYouth

Re: "Decline of the West" by Darryl Cooper

Post by DrYouth » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:55 am

This doesn't really alter my position with regards to Hash's critique of Campbell.
Jung and Campbell are pioneers who charted consciousness using non-mechanistic, non-Newtonian models.
Unlike Freud's more mechanistic model of human development with Id pitted against Superego... Jung saw consciousness evolving through a process of integration of opposing archetypal forces...
Campbell took this model to the field of comparative mythology and spirituality to seek out the commonalities at play in human societies across the spectrum of human experience.
Spengler presumably applies this model to the rise and fall of civilizations across history.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:29 am

All three of them were as crazy as fruitflies on bat guano.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:36 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:All three of them were as crazy as fruitflies on bat guano.
So, not a fan of the Decline of the West podcast, I take it?
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:58 am

Not a huge fan of Jung, Freud, or Campbell. Still have not read Decline of the West, but some of the things they talk about are ideas I arrived at myself.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:37 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:...but some of the things they talk about are ideas I arrived at myself.
So you aren't a fan?

... of your own ideas?

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:42 pm

I'm listening to the first one from back in the election. Sounds alright so far. I don't get down with the academic tendency to deify academic sages of ages past. With me, Freud's arguments have to stand on their own today just like they did when he was alive, but with academics, his words are gospel, and beyond question.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:48 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:I'm listening to the first one from back in the election. Sounds alright so far. I don't get down with the academic tendency to deify academic sages of ages past. With me, Freud's arguments have to stand on their own today just like they did when he was alive, but with academics, his words are gospel, and beyond question.
It's true...
It was pretty "Spengler" heavy.
And the truth is by the last episode (before the alt-right interview).... they had pretty much lost me.

Still... it was some eclectic uberintellectual shit... a rarity... and Cooper has earned a lot of cred with his martyrmade podcast... so I was still willing to keep listening and suspend judgement.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:57 pm

Yeah, it's interesting. No beefs with it so far. I don't have to agree with everything I listen to. I disagree with TFC a lot, although not so much since the election. They finally stuck their finger in the wind and figured out they better cool their dumb shit after they saw how everyone was reacting to the media's dumb shit.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:07 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:...but some of the things they talk about are ideas I arrived at myself.
So you aren't a fan?

... of your own ideas?

Huh?

I am not a fan of Jung, Freud, and Campbell. I didn't say anything about Spengler.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:48 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:I didn't say anything about Spengler.
Cooper and Ebert introduce Spengler as a natural continuation of the work of Campbell.
Haven't read him myself...