Joe Rogan (JRE)

Hwen Hoshino

Re: Joe Rogan (JRE)

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:43 am

Penner wrote:
Hwen Hoshino wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Same. I don't think their system is working.
Same happened to me at the Dan Carlin Forum the first time.
Wait were you rejected or did Dan install a manual approval button too?
I honestly don't remember it was so long ago. I never had the chance the post.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:52 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Martin Hash wrote: p.s. At first I thought Rogan might be a meta, but no. And I thought some of his guests might be metas, but no. Close though.
What's a meta?
http://www.martinhash.com/forums/viewto ... =21&t=1005
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:41 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
DrYouth wrote:
Martin Hash wrote: p.s. At first I thought Rogan might be a meta, but no. And I thought some of his guests might be metas, but no. Close though.
What's a meta?
http://www.martinhash.com/forums/viewto ... =21&t=1005
So... I tried to read through that...
You refer to metahumans... but don't exactly define them...

So I resort to google and I get:
Wikipedia wrote:In DC Comics' DC Universe, a metahuman is a superhuman.[1] The term is roughly synonymous with both mutant and mutate in the Marvel Universe and posthuman in the Wildstorm and Ultimate Marvel Universes. In DC Comics, the term is used loosely in most instances to refer to any human-like being with extranormal powers and abilities, be they technological, alien, mutant, or magical in nature. A significant portion of these are normal human beings born with a genetic variant called the "metagene",[2] which causes them to gain powers and abilities during freak accidents or times of intense psychological distress.
So you like comic books?
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:48 pm

Dude, where do you think I got the term?

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:33 pm

In the spectrum of human achievements, some people's success can only be explained through amazing luck, Heads-10x-In-A-Row stuff, or something we don't quite understand. Folks have always recognized this, and have attributed these extremes to "grace of God," or some other mystical aspect like karma. If you aren't a believer, if you are a science person, then how do you explain Donald Trump? "Meta" is as good a word as any; it has a long history in terms like metaphysics, and certainly has been explored extensively in comic lore, but is it real? I ask you, how would you recognize if someone was a "Meta"? What would the signs be? Think about this then apply it to Donald Trump.

"If there are such things as Metas, I either met one or I am one." - me

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:22 pm

Martin Hash wrote:In the spectrum of human achievements, some people's success can only be explained through amazing luck, Heads-10x-In-A-Row stuff, or something we don't quite understand. Folks have always recognized this, and have attributed these extremes to "grace of God," or some other mystical aspect like karma. If you aren't a believer, if you are a science person, then how do you explain Donald Trump? "Meta" is as good a word as any; it has a long history in terms like metaphysics, and certainly has been explored extensively in comic lore, but is it real? I ask you, how would you recognize if someone was a "Meta"? What would the signs be? Think about this then apply it to Donald Trump.

It could also just be due to the people looking for what they believe is possible or true being inaccurate in their beliefs. Cargo cults would have considered civilized nations to be meta. Flying around in magical crafts laden with immense bounties of goods inconceivable to their notions of possibility. In reality, they were just wrong. Their knowledge lagged behind what had been learned by others, and the only way their minds could process it was, "magic."
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:23 pm

Martin Hash wrote:In the spectrum of human achievements, some people's success can only be explained through amazing luck, Heads-10x-In-A-Row stuff, or something we don't quite understand. Folks have always recognized this, and have attributed these extremes to "grace of God," or some other mystical aspect like karma. If you aren't a believer, if you are a science person, then how do you explain Donald Trump? "Meta" is as good a word as any; it has a long history in terms like metaphysics, and certainly has been explored extensively in comic lore, but is it real? I ask you, how would you recognize if someone was a "Meta"? What would the signs be? Think about this then apply it to Donald Trump.

Is what real?

Successful people?

How do you explain successful people?

What's wrong with old fashioned talent + luck + right place / right time?

Why do we need to invoke super powers or supernatural mumbo jumbo?

And... you should probably stop quoting yourself... it's creepy. Just sayin'
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Penner

Post by Penner » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:34 pm

Martin Hash wrote:Dude, where do you think I got the term?

This seems kind of stupid to ask it here, but do you read Marvel and DC or only one type of comic? As an adult there are only a few that I bother to follow, now but I did enjoy things like the Punisher and The X-Men.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:20 pm

DrYouth wrote:you should probably stop quoting yourself... it's creepy. Just sayin'
Dude, look around you...

p.s. I don't usually discuss Metas because most folks take very poorly to the implications (a la X-Men), but I've had to confront the reality for the past half-century, and this is my interpretation.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:23 pm

Penner wrote:This seems kind of stupid to ask it here, but do you read Marvel and DC or only one type of comic? As an adult there are only a few that I bother to follow, now but I did enjoy things like the Punisher and The X-Men.
I don't read anymore but I enjoy the physical reminder of my own collection of a very formative part of my past. I read everything & anything.

"Jack Kirby's early '70s 'New Gods' were my role models" - me