Common Sense #312 Re-connections with James Burke

nickle7

Re: Common Sense #312 Re-connections with James Burke

Post by nickle7 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:37 am

Hwen Hoshino wrote:
nickle7 wrote:
Hwen Hoshino wrote: Did not say the press stopped hyping it.
Terrorism is only effective if the press hypes it. The more it's hyped, the more power it has. So I don't see how terrorism is working less if the media is continuing to cover it extensively.
People started questionning the post 911 surveliance state a long time ago and also i bet a lot more people were glued to the tv in 2001 than they are now when it comes to the news.
But you can bet if another mass attack happens and 3,0000 people die, people will be glued to their tv's.
Seek how to think, not what to think.

nickle7

Post by nickle7 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:39 am

ssu wrote:Using the fight against terrorism to promote authoritarianism still works.

People don't give a shit about just what warning level the country is in, but once a terrorist strike happens, people still freak out.

Hence the strategy is the same as the anti-gun lobby uses: immediately after a mass shooting, push your agenda at lightning speed then with and earlier made law proposals (that have been in storage for just this kind of moment).

With acts of terrorism it's even easier. The bigger the terrorist attack, the more radical laws and actions will be implemented.

Just think what Trump would do if there is a major terrorist attack in the US (or somewhere against Americans) with horrible images of carnage displayed on TV? Trump as the ever faithfull populist will give what his followers want at that instant. Fuck the whiny liberals, this is WAR!!!

And what do you know in the end later: The Police can use waterboarding and "rectal feeding" on drug smugglers. Things just go that way.
Exactly. And things are going that way. Need look no further than the Snowden reveleations...

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:40 am

nickle7 wrote:
Hwen Hoshino wrote:
nickle7 wrote:
Terrorism is only effective if the press hypes it. The more it's hyped, the more power it has. So I don't see how terrorism is working less if the media is continuing to cover it extensively.
People started questionning the post 911 surveliance state a long time ago and also i bet a lot more people were glued to the tv in 2001 than they are now when it comes to the news.
But you can bet if another mass attack happens and 3,0000 people die, people will be glued to their tv's.
Yeah, but they will get over it quicker and they trust government far less anyways.

nickle7

Post by nickle7 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:07 pm

Hwen Hoshino wrote:
nickle7 wrote:
Hwen Hoshino wrote: People started questionning the post 911 surveliance state a long time ago and also i bet a lot more people were glued to the tv in 2001 than they are now when it comes to the news.
Yeah, but they will get over it quicker and they trust government far less anyways.
They'll appear to get over it faster because they'll cry out that the government needs to do more in terms of security. Then when the government ramps up its surveillance, people will sit back thinking they're safer, that the government's the good guy protecting us. They don't realize they're not solving the problem, they're only kicking the can down the road.
Last edited by nickle7 on Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:24 pm

nickle7 wrote:
Hwen Hoshino wrote:
nickle7 wrote:
They'll appear to get over it faster because they'll cry out that the government needs to do more in terms of security. Then when the government ramps up its surveillance, people will sit back thinking they're safer, that the government's the good guy protecting us. They don't realize they're solving the problem, they're only kicking the can down the road.
We did not have such stress test for a long time. We will have to wait and see.

Cid

Post by Cid » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:36 am

Ha, I think a major terrorist attack would be incredibly beneficial for the state. We can forgive a lot of shit when we're hit, whistle while the man works.

Problem is for the right and left is they both have their truthers. Right's been worse lately, Dem president that makes sense, every mass shooting is the next last straw where he'll come for your guns (magically brainwashing all of those NRA cops and soldiers that exist), but the left has em. Hell the left were the original truthers, and the contempt we had for them as a nation was palpable.

But, I'm fine with it, big government and big corporate own me so I'm fine with them having a party. I think President Trump will do fine.

TheOneX

Post by TheOneX » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:10 am

I've never really been able to get into the interview episodes. I listened to it, but I can't remember anything about what they talked about.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:35 am

Cid wrote:Ha, I think a major terrorist attack would be incredibly beneficial for the state. We can forgive a lot of shit when we're hit, whistle while the man works.

Problem is for the right and left is they both have their truthers. Right's been worse lately, Dem president that makes sense, every mass shooting is the next last straw where he'll come for your guns (magically brainwashing all of those NRA cops and soldiers that exist), but the left has em. Hell the left were the original truthers, and the contempt we had for them as a nation was palpable.

But, I'm fine with it, big government and big corporate own me so I'm fine with them having a party. I think President Trump will do fine.
Being a 9/11 'truther' is a Left-wing thing? That's the first I've heard of this..

I can definitely vouch for the ridiculous amount of backlash in place against investigating or questioning The Holy Event though. People will not abide any sort of counter-narrative on The Day of America.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:09 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:I can definitely vouch for the ridiculous amount of backlash in place against investigating or questioning The Holy Event though. People will not abide any sort of counter-narrative on The Day of America.
Do you have a favorite counter narrative Grumps?
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:14 am

DrYouth wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:I can definitely vouch for the ridiculous amount of backlash in place against investigating or questioning The Holy Event though. People will not abide any sort of counter-narrative on The Day of America.
Do you have a favorite counter narrative Grumps?
I don't want to hijack the thread. But there is no shortage of reasons that shit was fishy as fuck. If you're interested, we can start up another thread.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0