Joe Rogan Experience #877 - Jordan Peterson

TheReal_ND

Re: Joe Rogan Experience #877 - Jordan Peterson

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:34 pm

Mercury wrote:Epistemological argument between Jordan Peterson and Sam Harris, if anyone is interested; Harris is trying really hard to be condescending:

https://www.samharris.org/podcast/item/what-is-true
*tips fedora

Dand

Post by Dand » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:06 pm

Mercury wrote:Epistemological argument between Jordan Peterson and Sam Harris, if anyone is interested; Harris is trying really hard to be condescending:

https://www.samharris.org/podcast/item/what-is-true
This'll be good, thanks for the tip. I knew a lot of people were asking these guys to have a discussion or debate and hoped it would happen.

edit: RIP, nevermind
Last edited by Dand on Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mercury

Post by Mercury » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:50 pm

Having posted the link, and now having listened to the whole thing, I want to warn that the show was a bit of a disappointment.

The argument never gets anywhere.

The only exposure I've had to Harris, before this, was DC's discussion with him. Not sure what to think of the guy. He seems to get hung up on details, and doesn't know how to handle a guest/interview in a way that moves things along.
With sad countenance and downcast eyes, Aeneas wends his way, quitting the cavern, and ponders in his mind the dark issues.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:53 pm

Mercury wrote:Having posted the link, and now having listened to the whole thing, I want to warn that the show was a bit of a disappointment.

The only exposure I've had to Harris, before this, was DC's discussion with him. Not sure what to think of the guy. He seems to get hung up on details, and doesn't know how to handle a guest/interview in a way that moves things along.
Yeah, that was definitely tedious to listen to. I got about halfway and had to stop.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

adwinistrator

Post by adwinistrator » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:40 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Mercury wrote:Having posted the link, and now having listened to the whole thing, I want to warn that the show was a bit of a disappointment.

Yeah, that was definitely tedious to listen to. I got about halfway and had to stop.
This tends to be what happens when Harris discusses issues with people who have a very different underlying methodology then himself. They don't move on to the topics they've reached different conclusions about, until they've hashed out every underlying aspect of thinking used to reach those conclusions.

It might work well when discussing differences between somewhat likeminded thinkers, but when it's someone who has a very worldview, it never gets off the ground.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:09 pm

I'll reiterated that the Joe Rogan interview of Peterson is STELLAR.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

adwinistrator

Post by adwinistrator » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:18 pm

Martin Hash wrote:I'll reiterated that the Joe Rogan interview of Peterson is STELLAR.
His academic videos on YouTube are quite good as well, similar to the second half of the Rogan interview.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:40 am

Nice Q/A session https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UL-SdOhwek

Round 2 with Harris (actually have some real discussion this time) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8TDbXO6dkk

I'd love to hear Peterson and Carlin talk totalitarianism and the nihilism that seems to be only alternative without a "meta narrative" to follow.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Mercury

Post by Mercury » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:48 pm

Good call GoG.

Round 2 was much better.
With sad countenance and downcast eyes, Aeneas wends his way, quitting the cavern, and ponders in his mind the dark issues.