Joe Rogan Experience #877 - Jordan Peterson

adwinistrator

Joe Rogan Experience #877 - Jordan Peterson

Post by adwinistrator » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:46 am

What a fantastic discussion. Peterson does a really impressive job of breaking down different problems, situations, and examples into a more analytical framework. Certainly game me a few new thoughts to consider, and ways to interpret our newest cultural maladies. He does use a lot of philosophical meta-jargon, but makes sure to not use the kind of referential buzzwords that can obscure the concepts he's trying to get at.

A lot of ground gets covered, so I'd recommend listening to the whole thing, and not bailing out early just because of the subject matter.

Topics covered (I'm sure I'm forgetting some):
  • SJW crisis at University of Toronto - mandatory preferred pronouns
  • History of Marxism gone wrong
  • Cultural and psychological origins of radical ideologies
  • Post-modernism and gender studies, or "why I'm always right, and stop oppressing me"
  • Failure of universities to prepare students for the modern world (the institution of learning will leave the campus)
  • Pitfalls of modernity, and how the Death of God has led to a fractured world of ideological radicalism
Honestly refreshing take on a lot of these topics that have become dead horse flogging competitions. I've been reconsidering my views on our culture, the consequence of my atheism, my own ideological blind spots, and what things I'd like to change about the way I live my life.

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Joe Rogan Experience #877 - Jordan Peterson

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:58 am

I really enjoyed this show, for all of the reasons that you listed.

However, we should keep in mind that this is only one professor, and may involve some hyperbole. We can't extrapolate his opinions to say that the entire system is broken. It's certainly concerning, though..
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

adwinistrator

Post by adwinistrator » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:35 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:However, we should keep in mind that this is only one professor, and may involve some hyperbole. We can't extrapolate his opinions to say that the entire system is broken. It's certainly concerning, though..
100% agree. He's dealing with the laws in Ontario, Canada, and the University of Toronto specifically. In regards to his current situation, he is in a very specific debate.

In regards to his overall points he makes on modern universities, I think he really hits on the biggest fundamental problems facing our education system, in a much more universal way. The ever increasing tuition, growing administrative cost, lack of teaching critical thinking, ideological conformity, etc.

It's also an important caveat he made that the hard science programs have a lot less of these problems than the humanities programs.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:19 am

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:30 am

adwinistrator wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:However, we should keep in mind that this is only one professor, and may involve some hyperbole. We can't extrapolate his opinions to say that the entire system is broken. It's certainly concerning, though..
100% agree. He's dealing with the laws in Ontario, Canada, and the University of Toronto specifically. In regards to his current situation, he is in a very specific debate.

In regards to his overall points he makes on modern universities, I think he really hits on the biggest fundamental problems facing our education system, in a much more universal way. The ever increasing tuition, growing administrative cost, lack of teaching critical thinking, ideological conformity, etc.

It's also an important caveat he made that the hard science programs have a lot less of these problems than the humanities programs.

But a STEM student does not achieve freedom from marxism until graduate school, since half an undergraduate degree derives from general education requirements, and half of those courses come from liberal arts programs, which constitute the festering source of this marxism. Furthermore, many universities made social justice ideology courses mandatory for all students. Some universities require all male students to attend rape prevention training that is predicated on the idea that rape guilt can only be tied to males and that males are all inherently rapists.

If the student goes to graduate school, he must be careful to never offend female or minority students with the most innocuous statements. If he plans to get a PhD and himself become an academic, then he must spend his career in fear that he might offend students somehow. He must never espouse political, social, or economic ideas that run counter to marxism until after he gains tenure, which takes many years. He should go dark on social media, including even anonymous forums lest he get outed. He basically must live his life in fear for the privilege of associating with marxists.

It's every bit as dark as this professor describes.

adwinistrator

Post by adwinistrator » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:50 pm

Part of the issue that Peterson is dealing with is the terminology in the local law, and the human rights statute, that would extend this to all alternative pronouns (ze/zir).
If the standard transsexual person wants to be regarded as he or she, my sense is I'll address you according to the part that you appear to be playing

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:56 pm

I am thinking about doing his self authorium program. They are broken down into modules that cost about twenty-five dollars each. He was talking about writing down your past to free yourself of those burdensome memories, but the site says you should do the present and future authoring first.

nickle7

Post by nickle7 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:30 am

One of the best conversations I've heard in a long while. Here's the wording of the Bill C-16 he was talking about:

"This enactment amends the Canadian Human Rights Act to add gender identity and gender expression to the list of prohibited grounds of discrimination.

The enactment also amends the Criminal Code to extend the protection against hate propaganda set out in that Act to any section of the public that is distinguished by gender identity or expression and to clearly set out that evidence that an offense was motivated by bias, prejudice or hate based on gender identity or expression constitutes an aggravating circumstance that a court must take into consideration when it imposes a sentence."

https://openparliament.ca/bills/42-1/C-16/

I've seen a lot of articles talking about how Peterson is blowing this out of proportion but reading this bill, I don't see how he is exaggerating. Everything he talked about in regards to the bill, potentially being arrested for failing to call someone by their preferred pronoun, etc. it plausible. The wording of the bill leaves quite a bit of room for subjectivity, for people to file legal claims against someone because, basically, they feel offended.
Seek how to think, not what to think.

apeman

Post by apeman » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:10 pm

Listened to this yesterday while traveling for work, I thought it was excellent, I didn't know the JRE had content this good.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:13 pm

apeman wrote:Listened to this yesterday while traveling for work, I thought it was excellent, I didn't know the JRE had content this good.
It varies widely, but I'm definitely a regular listener now. He goes off into some goofy tangents, but a portion of each podcast gets into some pretty deep thought.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0